News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

'Little 9' at Southern Pines GC in Danger
« on: September 12, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
It seems to be getting pretty close to the point of no return for the 'Little 9' land. These links will tell you the story and the info:

https://pinestrawmag.com/fallow-ground-fertile-memories/

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2019/3/6/southern-pines-little-nine-fallow-ground-amp-fertile-memories#commenting=

https://www.linc-sp.org/about-linc/index.html

https://www.thepilot.com/news/grant-sought-to-protect-elks-club-land-in-southern-pines/article_74027f84-c8e0-11e9-a1aa-77ebf1586043.html

I think the key person in the effort to save it is going to join the forum shortly. He should be able to answer a lot of your questions. Let's keep it on track and civil if you would please. Thanks!

Chris Buie

Re: 'Little 9' at Southern Pines GC in Danger
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 04:02:38 PM »
 Again, the backstory of the club can be found in Bill Field’s article:
https://pinestrawmag.com/fallow-ground-fertile-memories/
Here’s a brief overview of what’s happening now with the dormant nine holes at SPGC:
The management company that ran the golfing component of the Elks club in Southern Pines filed a lawsuit after the Elks declined to renew their contract. The lawsuit settled for a sizable sum, which the Elks had to borrow. Repayment will be due soon. Thus, the Elks reluctantly came to consider selling some of the Little Nine land – holes 1-4.
The Elks voted on rezoning, subdividing & selling holes 1-4 last Monday, but the proposal did not get the required 2/3 majority. So, the situation remains as before. The loan falls due in February of 2020, and how the Elks might meet that obligation remains unclear.
I bring this up on here for reasons you may imagine. It is a fine little course. And design zealots such as ourselves don’t like to see fine courses taken over by development. This is especially the case when one of the titans of design built the course.
There is also the issue of development. This area has seen a great deal of development. Like anything, this can be done well or poorly. Unfortunately much of the development in the area has been ill advised. Have a look at any urban or suburban area and you’ll see a huge amount of wall to wall housing/condos/strip malls. It should be painfully obvious that (for many reasons) a lack of open area is not the best way to move forward.
I told the good folks trying to preserve the land this was an exceptionally knowledgeable group. They are eager to hear your ideas and suggestions. Feel free to share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »
Hey Chris,
 I had only one idea, disc golf.

It would preserve the open space, and, possibly open a new revenue stream, with little cost. Who knows? An invitational tournament for the best Disc golfers, might turn into something masterful, someday.

While nobody seems to give a rats patootie about reasons or justifications anymore, and you southern gentlemen are to decent to publicly shame, I sure hope the former management Co. rots in hell. :)

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bernie Bell

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 06:08:29 AM »
Chris, what if anything can be shared about the ideas that McConnell and Pine Needles/Mid Pines had for the entire property?  Did they envision keeping the defunct nine as is, or using it in some other way to support the continued viability of the main 18?  They are certainly two groups with a record of success preserving the Ross legacy.

Adam, those are strong words on a record that yields no suggestion that the management company was in the wrong in that dispute.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:10:43 AM by Bernie Bell »

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »
Thanks Adam! I'll pass your suggestion along.

Bernie, both of those organization looked at purchasing or managing the club not too long ago. Neither reached an agreement.
It is a very good idea on your part though.
Thanks!

Philip Hensley

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »
Time to start selling branded merch. Though this golf course actually exists so it might not be as cool to own merch of a real golf course.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
How hard would it be to get 1,000 people nationally to cough up $500 each in return for 15 go-rounds at SPCC?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 10:29:18 PM »
Bernie, Chris is too much a gentleman to rehash the issues, he eluded to in the opening statement about the reasons for the lawsuit. If someone wants to air the laundry, I'll be better informed, but suing because they don't renew a contract seems odd, and litigious, in the extreme. And settling a case is often like Ambrose Bierce's definition of compromise. Nobody gets what they want. Unless the plaintiff wanted exactly that.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bernie Bell

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 06:41:18 AM »
Adam, it has been written about here by people who know that when the management company took over SPGC the operating course was in very rough shape, and the company did a nice job turning it around.  I suppose (and stress that I do not know) that their contract allowed them to recover some of that capital investment if the management contract was not renewed.  That’s the most logical explanation to me.  The amount is far more than a nuisance settlement.  Not that it matters in terms of solving the issue Chris presented, although from the outside it does seem that there is tension between preserving the unused open space and long-term stewardship of the Ross legacy.  It would be nice to have both, 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 04:45:47 PM »
Bernie, Thanx for the clarifications.

Sad if anyone acted nefariously. But I'm just a naive former pit trader that thought honesty and integrity transferred to Golf too. I was wrong. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back