News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JWinick

Best Mountain Course?
« on: September 23, 2019, 08:18:40 AM »
A buddy of mine sent me a picture of a golf course in the mountains, making we wonder what's the best mountain course?    To be a mountain course, it can't merely be mountains in the background.    A few come to mind, but Lookout Mountain would be my choice.  I don't view Old White at Greenbriar to be a mountain course.    Thoughts?

Jim Nugent

Re: Best Mountain Course?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »
I bet Stone Eagle is in the conversation. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 08:35:08 AM »
Primland is the best one I have played.  Red Sky (Norman) quite good as Broadmoor East (although it might not meet definition in OP).  And if you are ever in Leadville, CO, play Mt. Massive just so you can say you played the course highest above sea level in US.

Ira

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 08:53:47 AM »
Glens Falls Country Club and Ekwanok Country Club are both fine examples.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 09:04:05 AM »
Wade Hampton is traditionally considered the Best Mountain Course in North America and it is indeed a fine example of integrating golf into an elevated, mountainous terrain. It fits nicely and plays very well. Banff Springs, Pikewood National, Lookout Mountain, Red Sky, and quite a few others usually enter the conversation as well.

With respect to all the above, I find myself seconding Jim Nugent with Stone Eagle.

It's undeniably built on and into the shoulders of the San Jacinto and Santa Rose mountains and aesthetically blends better than those previously mentioned courses. Instead of conventionally moving up and down the valleys and occasionally crossing a few, this iconoclastic design that works on every level. It moves up, down, across, and alongside the mountainside elevations and slopes using the land brilliantly to add interest and playability. It feels seamless as opposed to corridored.

Interestingly, it gets less attention and fame than Tom's other, more regaled work. I've always felt that when compared straight up with other mountain courses, Stone Eagle shines and deserves far more respect.

PS....Tim, despite being close to mountainous terrain, neither Glen Falls or Ekwanok are really mountain courses. Neither has the kind of elevation previously discussed integrated into their routings.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JWinick

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 09:07:55 AM »
Is Stone Eagle walkable?

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »
Wade Hampton is traditionally considered the Best Mountain Course in North America and it is indeed a fine example of integrating golf into an elevated, mountainous terrain. It fits nicely and plays very well. Banff Springs, Pikewood National, Lookout Mountain, Red Sky, and quite a few others usually enter the conversation as well.

With respect to all the above, I find myself seconding Jim Nugent with Stone Eagle.

It's undeniably built on and into the shoulders of the San Jacinto and Santa Rose mountains and aesthetically blends better than those previously mentioned courses. Instead of conventionally moving up and down the valleys and occasionally crossing a few, this iconoclastic design that works on every level. It moves up, down, across, and alongside the mountainside elevations and slopes using the land brilliantly to add interest and playability. It feels seamless as opposed to corridored.

Interestingly, it gets less attention and fame than Tom's other, more regaled work. I've always felt that when compared straight up with other mountain courses, Stone Eagle shines and deserves far more respect.

PS....Tim, despite being close to mountainous terrain, neither Glen Falls or Ekwanok are really mountain courses. Neither has the kind of elevation previously discussed integrated into their routings.

Golf magazine’s take might be a little different than mine.😉

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 09:33:20 AM »

Capilano would easily rank near the top. As discussed here before, the routing through the elevation changes by Thompson was masterful.

I don't believe Banff would fit your definition in that it is actually very flat, sitting in the valley between the many majestic mountains in that area.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »
The Cascades has long been hailed as one of the best mt courses in the country. It sure belongs in the conversation. If Stone Eagle is considered mt then the Quarry at La Quinta belongs on the list.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »
Not sure how Rock Creek Cattle Co fits the category, but if it does it probably sits at or near the top of the list.

Clear Creek another possible contender. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:42:24 AM by Jim Nugent »

Jim Hoak

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »
Are there any mountain courses that are higher than Doak 6 or 7?  I have played several course in the mountains that I have enjoyed, but none that I would consider to be great courses.  I've never played Wade Hampton, but I hear mostly--not entirely--positive things about it.

Daryl David

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »
Roaring Gap

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
IF RCCC is a mountain course then it definitely fits the bill, I have it as a DS 9.

I also really liked Sanctuary even thou its not everyone's cup of tea...

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 12:46:25 PM »
Clear Creek Tahoe fits in the conversation with Stone Eagle at least.

Michael George

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 01:28:48 PM »
From what I have played, easily Jasper Park and Clear Creek.

The 9th hole is one of the best, and most unique, par 3's in the world and the stretch from #13-#18 at Jasper Park is one of the best finishes in golf (even Alister Mackenzie agreed).  Thought it was much better than Banff Springs.

Also, loved Clear Creek.  Maybe, not the best Coore Crenshaw course, but may be my favorite experience due to incredible Lake Tahoe feel and scenery.  Hard not to like a hike on the Monkey Trail in the morning and a round of golf in the afternoon.  Plus, the turf conditions are the best anywhere.  Hope the homes don't hurt it.

If you are just looking at the experience, pick your Discovery Land course between Gozzer Ranch and Mountaintop.  I could sit at the taco bar in between 9 and 10 at Mountaintop for the day.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:30:39 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Dave McCollum

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 02:25:57 PM »
As I started reading this thread, Rock Creek CC was my first thought followed by Sun Valley and Clear Creek.  Stone Eagle is an interesting choice because I never thought of it as a mountain course given its Martian landscape.  Sun Valley (Trail Creek) started off as 9-hole Billy P. Bell creation and morphed into it's current form with the help of the RTJ clan.  It would take an army of loggers to strip away the trees and clear the views, but under all that foliage is a really good, challenging (141 slope, tips), and fun course.  Through the years the owners have always been skiers and tree huggers more than golfers, so its bones remain too hidden to be called a hidden gem.  I'm sure the owners of the trophy homes around its edges wouldn't favor this sort of restoration.

I've never played the Northern Idaho courses such as Gozzer Ranch,  and like their Tahoe relatives, seem to belong in this conversation.  Speaking of courses seen in pictures only, Himalayas GC in Pokhara, Nepal isn't really in the mountains per se, but I have stood among banana trees near there and stared at the Annapurna Massif looming above and thought it might be the grandest mountain view on the planet.  Imagine standing at something like a 2,000 foot, semi tropical elevation and looking up at a wall of peaks that immediately shoot up to 28,000 feet.  Awesome.             
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:42:52 PM by Dave McCollum »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »
I never thought of Gozzer Ranch as mountain golf, but perhaps it is.  While most of it fairly flattish a few holes have that feel.

I would also consider Black Rock across the lake as one as it has a ton of elevation change.  Circling Raven however certainly does not have the feel of one...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 03:54:34 PM »
Golf on mountains or in the valleys between the mountains?
Also where does the difference lie between a mountain and a hill?
Atb

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »
Roaring Gap

Came here to post this.  I really enjoyed RG, and not just for the views.  I'm playing Clear Creek next month and am excited to see it. [/size] [/size][size=78%] [/size]

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »
Capilano is a neighborhood course in the hills above a major city. Yes it's hilly, but is it really a mountain course?

Banff Springs is the best that I can think of.

JWinick

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 05:42:31 PM »
So, is there a mountain course that is walkable?   I believe Lookout Mountain is, but it's been a while.   

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »
So, is there a mountain course that is walkable?   I believe Lookout Mountain is, but it's been a while.   

Roaring Gap is walkable for sure.  I have walked Lookout a couple times and thought it was definitely walkable if not a little hard on the knees. :-)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 05:56:21 PM »
I’ve walked Roaring Gap, Stone Eagle, The Cascades, and Ekwanok.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Hoak

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 06:25:33 PM »
I think Ekwanok is a wonderful course, but it is a stretch to call it a mountain course.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 06:37:42 PM »
Kalen--As I said, haven't been to Gozzer.  The houses in that development certainly resemble the "mountain architecture" found in places like Sun Valley and Tahoe.

Tommy--you're a stud.  The two times I was at Stone Eagle I never saw anybody walking.  It looked like a stout hike.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back