News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

SF Area Golf
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:10 AM »
I will be making my way to Monterey beginning of November and looking for thoughts on golf in San Fran area.  Let's assume access isn't an issue.  I am only looking for 1 afternoon round in the area, then I'm headed to San Jose to watch Boise State at SJ State, then to Monterey the next day to play golf.  There will be 3 of us.

Thanks for your input.
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

George Smiltins

Re: SF Area Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 12:16:33 PM »
Pretty sure that 90% of the people on this site will tell you to flip a coin between Cal Club and Pasatiempo, and I'm inclined to agree with them. Have fun!

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »
If access is not an issue San Francisco GC could/should be at the top of your list. A real treat to play.

Cal Club and Pasatiempo are both very good options.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 12:45:59 PM »
If you're looking to attend game at SJ state on the same day and time is a factor, it'll be a lot easier to get there from Pasa than from San Fran.  Although it'll be a Saturday, so not as much a issue I guess...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:50:02 PM by Kalen Braley »

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 01:54:18 PM »
As said above, if access is no issue, I would go with:

SFGC
Olympic (Lake)
Cal Club
Pasa

David Wuthrich

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 01:57:37 PM »
I agree with Carson! 

SFGC if you just have one round in SF area.  Easy choice.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 02:09:18 PM »
I agree with Carson! 

I'd say Cal. Not that easy a choice, unless exclusivity is your only criteria.

Tal Oz

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »
Recently did a Monterey trip that started with us doing one day in the SF area. We played Cal Club and while I haven't played SFGC, Cal Club is not to be missed. If you can, stay on site and hang out in the bar at night. Hopefully you'll run into Mr. Scully  ;)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 02:24:17 PM »
I agree with Carson! 

I'd say Cal. Not that easy a choice, unless exclusivity is your only criteria.

I agree that it's not that easy a choice among Cal Club, SFGC, and Olympic.  Olympic has its detractors around here, but I think it's really good--and pretty unique.  IMHO, you can't go wrong choosing one over the other two.   

DFarron

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
I will be making my way to Monterey beginning of November and looking for thoughts on golf in San Fran area.  Let's assume access isn't an issue.  I am only looking for 1 afternoon round in the area, then I'm headed to San Jose to watch Boise State at SJ State, then to Monterey the next day to play golf.  There will be 3 of us.

Thanks for your input.

1. Cal Club
2. Menlo CC
3. SFGC

Menlo hard to get on but a real sleeper....

Scott Senior

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 03:48:08 PM »
The Cal Club....the course, the hang, close to the airport. Love the place!!

Michael Wolf

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 09:14:02 AM »
An option a little off the beaten path would be Claremont. Fantastic opening 9 holes, great bunkers, cool old clubhouse.

Just in case you are tired of playing SFGC, Cal and Olympic. ;)

Regards, Michael

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »
Cal Club for me all day long, SFGC maybe a wonderfully exclusive club but the course is massively overrated. [size=78%] [/size]
Cave Nil Vino

John Connolly

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 12:03:09 PM »
Cal Club all day and twice on Friday.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Jim Hoak

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
If exclusivity is truly not an issue, I can't believe anyone would not put SFGC on top!  By a wide margin.
Cal Club and Pasatiempo are good choices too.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 10:35:20 PM »
I've lived here 60 years and was a member at Olympic for 20. The question is what do you want to learn or see?

All 4 of the courses rank in the top 100 in most of the magazine's.

All 4 have been restored or renovated.

All are classic courses.

All are parkland courses.

Pasatiempo probably has the most unique holes that you won't see anywhere else.

CalClub has transformed itself, going from relatively unknown to top 100. It's one of the best restoration/renovations in American golf history.

SFGC is one of Tillinghasts best courses and his only course out West.

Olympic is a US Open course and a case study in long, hard and no fun.

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 05:45:50 AM »
Pasatiempo and Olympic.  Both golf courses have superior routings.  Pasatiempo has such excellent bunkering and greens (slopes and shapes).  The back nine routing around a barranca leads to a thrilling finish and exciting golf shots.  Olympic is one of my favorite routings in golf.  It wanders all over the hillside as opposed to working straight up and down it like some of the other courses.  Great routing, sloping greens, unique golf holes.  It really is one of a kind.  I put the Lake, Yale, and Pinehurst #2 in their own category for being unique.  Play up one tee because it plays longer with the uphill shots and cool air. You will have a blast.  Much more playable than you think.  No hazards, you can run the ball onto the greens, and short, playable rough.  A real gem.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
I'd say everything written here is basically true... depending on who wrote it. I would agree with the post, that if you'll be in San Jose and going to Monterey then play Pasatiempo. That is unless you have an invite to SFGC, because they don't come around that often. Pasatiempo would be worth driving to play even if you were staying in SF.

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 10:15:36 AM »
Cal Club is booked!!!  Thank you for the input and recommendations.  I'm really looking forward to this trip.
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

DFarron

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »
You will not regret it!

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 03:46:04 PM »
This may draw a few groans, calling me a homer, but you know what? It does not get any better than Olympic Ocean (grossly underrated), a burger dog and 9 holes on the Cliffs Course for dessert.

The Art Hills course at Half Moon Bay is terrific fun - and rarely discussed here amongst the intelligentsia, but only because some of the morons around here remind me of music aficionados who fawn over plaintive dogshit like The Final Cut, but pretend everything the Bee Gees ever recorded was terrible. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 08:05:59 PM »
This may draw a few groans, calling me a homer, but you know what? It does not get any better than Olympic Ocean (grossly underrated), a burger dog and 9 holes on the Cliffs Course for dessert.

I guess we should all quit building courses, if we can't top that.

Mike Benham

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 01:12:38 AM »
n/m
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:06:38 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 11:53:41 PM »
Cal Club is booked!!!  Thank you for the input and recommendations.  I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Here is some research you should read.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/california-golf-club-of-san-franciso/

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
Tom,

I'm not suggesting the Ocean is a "great" golf course, but you know what? It is offbeat and a whole lot of fun. You've not been back, but our observation the green on #14 was too narrow and poorly graded ended up being modified a short time after we were out there.

As I get older and shorter (spinal surgery will do that to you), the Lake can be exhausting and an airy wander on the Ocean Course has plenty of interesting quirks. Maybe not seamless textural architecture (like Shinnecock), but a "collection of tchotchke" strung together has its own appeal. 

The idea is planning a day that is enjoyable and unique, which the Cliffs course certainly qualifies experientially. It reminds me of the looks I get suggesting - when on Long Island - to vector over for a quick round at Westhampton.

It is not in the pantheon of NY Met layouts, but - like the New Course at St. Andrews - it is has its own compact elegance, like a truncated Fishers Island without the fanfare. Then again, I go out of my way to play the Eden Course and still laugh very hard at Dr. Strangelove . . . . .

Whether you and the intellectuals ought to "quit building courses" deserves a flag for unnecessary roughness.  That is kind of an insult; we have been friends for many years and my taste - though offbeat - has its own quirky logic. "The Pit" (RIP) remains one of my favorite courses - and my resume is better than most.

There are things about Apache Stronghold I like better than your beloved Pac Dunes - but then again, I'd play WF East 5:1 against the West if I were a member.

As for Half Moon Bay, I believe it is well worth a try just for entertainment value. Not everything must be bursting with serious intellectual content. There is plenty of room for Harold and Maude and a bong hit. Maybe every hole at HMB does not work perfectly, but the plot of Caddy Shack does not have any structure either.

Somebody ought to tell Tennessee Chad to go play Pacific Grove . . . . . . and then Peter Hay.       
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 02:03:48 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back