News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave McCollum

Here's a golden oldie for the new guys
« on: September 11, 2019, 02:49:02 AM »
I was wondering what happened to the lurker and did a search.  It turned this up:

https://www.si.com/vault/2002/08/05/327411/a-site-for-sore-eyes-got-a-bone-to-pick-with-a-course-architect-join-the-crowd-at-golfclubatlascom

It's archaeology, digging for fossils in ancient stream beds.  Don't know who cares.  I found it amusing and a little sentimental for for some voices no longer around here and, thankfully, for some who are still are.  Interesting to me that that the mainstream media took notice of our quibbles way back then  They got over that.  Tired old news to the old timers, but maybe some perspective to the new ones.     

Colin Macqueen

Re: Here's a golden oldie for the new guys
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 06:56:20 AM »
Dave,

Thanks for unearthing this article! I guess that I half-knew quite a bit of the information in the article but is is smashing to have it all there in a cogent form. A few statements amused me.

Mike Cirba's statement about others being "...into the same weirdness." I initially read as "...same wilderness" but it still gelled with me!

Had never considered the idea of changes to architectural design as being "..tantamount to defacing The Pieta"  (actually carried out by an Aussie!) or Fazio and associates being "Fazists"! Great stuff.

The description of the Discussion Group is hilarious, right on the money, and although written over seventeen years ago shows how prophetic Jeff Silverman was!

And the pioneering posters being the "..the new vigilantes of golf." is delightful.

Was/is Jeff Silverman a GCA member?

This is an article which we should all read as the background is good to know and the atmosphere and interaction wonderfully portrayed.

Thanks a lot,

Colin

"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Greg Hohman

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »
Too bad the otherwise fun (to me!), wry piece ends on a duplicative, flat note. Thanks, Dave, a keeper to share in the unlikely event that anybody asks why in the world I am curious about Sand Hills, Carne, Barnbougle &c. They won't  look at GCA itself!
newmonumentsgc.com

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 08:04:19 AM »
Dave -

Thanks for digging up the old Silverman article. I had not seen it before. Those were exciting times. 

Bob

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:47:21 AM »
I had not seen the article either. I found the site about that time and miss Tom Paul, Wayne Morrison and others.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 08:49:25 AM »
I read that article when it came out in 2002; came online to see what it was about and have never left.  But man, do I miss the guys that are referenced in the article.  And not just them; Tom Huckaby, Pat Mucci, and a bunch of other guys from whom I learned a lot.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 08:50:13 AM »
We were young and naive and thought we could change the world.

So we did.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 09:25:33 AM »
Thanks, Dave -
I’d never seen that. And my goodness: what a terrific read — Jeff is really a top flight writer!

(Greg: I’m not sure but I’d guess that the flat duplicative bits at the end originally accompanied photos that are no longer there, and were mixed into the body of the piece before the original formatting disappeared too.)

I got a different and fuller picture of why gca.com is here.

Btw, did we ever get a definitive answer about the divot?

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 10:27:53 AM »
I hadn't read that one in a while. Some familiar names for sure and quite a few that I wish would come back and post here more often.

Every once in a while people post an old link and say "remember the good old days?!" While some of the topics seemed more fresh back then, the spirit of the website as chronicled in the article, is alive and well. The meeting in Southern California might as well of been describing our Midwest Mashie that we held last year in Minnesota. We had 20 guys for golf and dinner in the Cities then went north for two days of golf at Northland with architects and superintendents all joining in.

And we're going to do it all again this weekend in Kansas!
H.P.S.

John McCarthy

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 10:29:19 AM »
Wanking?  On GolfClubAtlas?  The devil you say!
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

astavrides

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »

He used to post under Agman. Not very often, usually when he was looking for info for his writings. Don't know if he is still a member of the DG. I played with him once--enjoyed his company.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
I think I remember the article as my impetus to join gca.
p.s. peter palotta, i'm disappointed. surely you meant "a top-flite writer."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »

He used to post under Agman. Not very often, usually when he was looking for info for his writings. Don't know if he is still a member of the DG. I played with him once--enjoyed his company.

Once the policy was changed to use real names, I believe he posted under Jeff Silverman. Don't see him in the current member list.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 01:24:49 PM »
Thanks, Dave -
I’d never seen that. And my goodness: what a terrific read — Jeff is really a top flight writer!

(Greg: I’m not sure but I’d guess that the flat duplicative bits at the end originally accompanied photos that are no longer there, and were mixed into the body of the piece before the original formatting disappeared too.)

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a photo in the first run of that story of Tommy inside the bunker at PV 10? Am I making that up?
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Dave McCollum

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 10:02:05 PM »
You're welcome gents.  It was a little before my time here.  I lurked before but mostly for the course reviews and other info.  I didn't fook up my life by discovering the DG until a bit later.  I think I read something yesterday about Seminole and started thinking about Tom Paul.  Verbose guy like that must be doing something at 180 words per minute.     

JWinick

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 04:56:18 AM »
What happened to those guys?  Tom Paul, Mucci, etc?

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 07:29:55 AM »
Thanks, Dave -

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a photo in the first run of that story of Tommy inside the bunker at PV 10? Am I making that up?

I recall seeing it as well, but not 100% sure it was the SI+ piece.

Wasn't this one in it as well?

The Emperor!

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 07:59:33 AM »
 :'( :P

Boy those guys wrote some great stuff!  I remember discussing the eyebrow that the superintendent put in on the DA at Pine Valley and even though it kept the water out of the bunker took away some scary putts there. I hated the left fairway bunker on the 14th at Philadelphia CC and to this day remember TEP taking the time to talk to me at length as to it's efficacy. To this day not sure if my passionate argument won the day.

Miss them all hope they make an occasional visit to the site for old times sake !

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 08:48:36 AM »
I remember:
before I saw a picture of Tommy I thought they called him ‘Emperor’ because he was an expert on gca and knew everything about it; but after I saw a picture I thought it was because he looked like he should be giving a ‘thumbs down’ to some poor beaten gladiator in the Colosseum, or delicately picking at a bowl of grapes as he ordered the crushing of the latest revolt in some far flung Roman province.  Only later did I realize it was both: from his winter palace in California, over a plate of Mexican food, he’d look imperiously over that classic Roman nose and give a haughty and definitive ‘thumbs down’ to all manner of revolting gca. His was/is the Reign of Terror for anyone who dares to disfigure a classic of the Empire!
Peter

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:48:53 AM by Peter Pallotta »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 09:47:06 AM »
I remember when he wore a glove and was only a cadet.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 11:54:44 AM »
Count me as one who also very much misses Tom Paul's posts. Only 26 letters in the English alphabet, but I sure love he arranged em....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back