News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

It’s the two bunkers short and to the right at the only Redan that make the hole.
AKA Mayday

John Kavanaugh

Redan spills far to easily over an IPA soaked tongue. #woke

Ira Fishman

It’s the two bunkers short and to the right at the only Redan that make the hole.

I loved the 15th at NB too, but assuming your criterion is correct (I will leave others to comment), there are Redans in the US that have two bunkers short. Yale is one if memory serves. Others have one extended bunker that seems to serve the same purpose.

Ira

Greg Smith

I think the 2nd at Somerset Hills and the 6th at Yeamans Hall both have the two short bunkers.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Erik J. Barzeski

If that's the case (that there's only one Redan), how exacting do the features of a hole have to be to meet your qualifications of "A Redan"? What if the bunkers are there, but too shallow, or too small? Too big? What if the tilt of the green isn't quite severe enough? And if you define the term so narrowly that there's only one, what's the point in that?

I don't see much sense in applying such a narrow definition. The sixth at Fox Chapel meets the criteria, I think, for a Redan. Or a Reverse Redan if you want to dictate the shape.

Just as not all Road Hole holes are exactly the same as the original Road Hole, but we all know where the original is.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 12:17:54 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

MCirba

Mayday,

I've been trying to enforce your decree back here in the colonies and so far it's not going very well.

Send reinforcements!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Pallotta

Good luck, Mike(s).
To paraphrase yet another Mike (Corleone): if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone call anything a Redan...

(I wish CBM-Raynor had never mentioned the golf holes they were paying homage to, or even that they were paying homage at all. That way architects for decades could’ve freely & endlessly borrowed or copied or been ‘inspired by’ the very same golf holes without the risk of being called unimaginative or having their work compared unfavourably to the ‘originals’. I’d bet there’d be a heck of a lot more good golf holes around. But instead CBM spilled the beans, and inadvertently gave all of us access to the secret coven — and a marketing ploy to boot!)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:04:36 PM by Peter Pallotta »

mike_malone

These aren’t two bunkers. These are two BUNKERS!!!
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

Just finished for the second time today. I don’t want to see all that green on the right! What about the huge dip in front.

Don’t copy this effing hole!
AKA Mayday

Thomas Dai

Below is a painting of the time of the specific Redan fortress in the Crimean War that RBGC's famous hole is named after.
The fortress is in the middle of the painting with a pointed 'V'-shape raised front and fall-aways on both sides. Seem familiar?
In addition I believe that the 'floor' inside the fort may have sloped away from front-to-rear (so cannon balls would bounce rather than dig-in). Again seem familiar?
atb

Ira Fishman

We played NB twice as well. 15 is a great hole, but pretty hard to choose among 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 which is best. May not be the best stretch of holes I have played (although hard pressed to think of another), but unquestionably the most unique.

Ira

Kyle Harris

Jeez. We'll stretch to add golfing significance to the world just for the sake of sounding #woke.

*sets down the peanut butter stout*

A redan is a projection in a fortification (which may or may not be a redoubt) with an open back. Several redans put together can form a redoubt - which is fully enclosed.

A simple google search would should that the term is much more military than golf.

A bouncing cannon ball was FAR more dangerous than one that dug in. Artillerists would attempt to bounce solid shot into lines as opposed to fly them all the way to increase their chances of hitting something.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Bruce Katona

No peanut butter stout for BK; he prefers either a La Fin du Monde (Canadian) or La Chouffe (Belgian).  IMHO Somerset Hills and Yale both have pretty darn good examples.

Ed Brzezowski

so you finally played NB?

how did you like the pit? did you drive 18?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

V_Halyard

Mayday,

I've been trying to enforce your decree back here in the colonies and so far it's not going very well.

Send reinforcements!
Mike,... War is hell
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tim Martin

No peanut butter stout for BK; he prefers either a La Fin du Monde (Canadian) or La Chouffe (Belgian).  IMHO Somerset Hills and Yale both have pretty darn good examples.

Yale presents a challenge in getting the shot deep enough into the green to have the ball funnel to the left. It can come back off the green or get hung up on the center/right portion on a weaker shot that doesn’t carry far enough. There is a front right position that can be used to instill fear in the faithful and theres a good chance you might see it around the Harvest Moon. :o

Bill Brightly

Really? Did you omit the sarcasm font?

mike_malone

Really? Did you omit the sarcasm font?
Bill
I meant in addition to the obvious features that are so often mentioned.
AKA Mayday

MCirba

Mayday,

Send reinforcements!
Mike,... War is hell

Let me know when to release the catapults, General Malone!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mark_Fine

So what if they call their hole a “Redan”!  Isn’t it good that they are at least trying to talk about golf architecture? Would you prefer they talk about adding trees and putting in ponds  ;)   It’s no different than someone calling a hole a Biarritz just because it has some kind of swale in it.  It’s all good  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back