News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Pinehurst No. 1 & 3, worth playing?
« on: September 06, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
I just wondered?  Have played No. 2 once and was baffled where to aim approach shots (but a great experience).  I want to return to the resort on a 'warm' couple of days later in the year.
No. 4 looks like an obvious play.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Craig Disher

Re: Pinehurst No. 1 & 3, worth playing?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 01:36:12 PM »
It depends on your expectations. Both wind through close-up residential development which you might not enjoy. It puts me off but that's just me. Both were altered to accommodate the Cradle with #3 coming out slightly more the loser. #3 and #5 share many of the holes that were part of the original #3 and they are good but the fill-ins don't measure up to them. #1 is closer to to Ross's original and I prefer it to #3 or #5. Both 1 and 3 are very walkable except for an irritating par 3 that was added on #1 to account for the loss of the last hole. If you're staying at the resort and have arrangements on #2 and #4, play either in the PM as an add-on. I don't think there is an extra charge. If you're not staying at the resort, I'd pass on #1 and #3 and head for Mid Pines or Southern Pines CC.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »
I really enjoyed #1. I was told #3 was very short so I skipped it.

I wasn't aware The Cradle affected any of the holes on #1 as Craig mentioned. There was a par 3, #9 that did seem odd b/c you backtrack from the green past the tee to play #10. Was that it?

David_Madison

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »
#3 is a ton of fun if it's running and you are playing with hickories (or want to play that in that style). Lots of rolling terrain with plenty of humps and bumps in the fairways and in front of the greens. You can/must read your shots from way out before the greens, and then execute with some precision or you'll bleed out from paper cuts.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 05:09:46 PM »
I think #1 is a great afternoon play for 36 holes after playing #2 in the morning.

V_Halyard

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »
Echo previous. Absolutely enjoyable but not the same experience as #2 or #4.
#1 is a Ross but treated a bit like "Ross' Cousin" in terms of restoration-ness.
It gave one for the team as a bit of a turf and acreage farm for the Cradle.
Not familiar with #3.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 01:54:05 PM »
Almost anywhere but Pinehurst I would surely say yes. These are fine courses that would shine most anywhere else for there routing and topography. Number 3 has some great Ross greens and some mor radical newer complexes. All great fun on a very short course. With #s 2&4, Mid Pines, Pine Needles Tobacco Road and Southern Pines, it is hard to justify 1 or 3 as other than an add on. As a second quick 18 on well conditioned Pinehurst property you won’t be disappointed.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 03:36:55 PM »
Both are fine courses, but given the neighborhood they are in I don't think they are worth it at all. Go play Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Dormie, Tobacco Road, etc. 2 or 3 times each before bothering with 1 or 3
H.P.S.

V_Halyard

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »
Almost anywhere but Pinehurst I would surely say yes. These are fine courses that would shine most anywhere else for there routing and topography. Number 3 has some great Ross greens and some mor radical newer complexes. All great fun on a very short course. With #s 2&4, Mid Pines, Pine Needles Tobacco Road and Southern Pines, it is hard to justify 1 or 3 as other than an add on. As a second quick 18 on well conditioned Pinehurst property you won’t be disappointed.
Drinks with Mickle are an essential add on.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
Thank you all for the responses.  I have played MP, PN, TR, SP & Dormie multiple times.  All excellent, but MP is my favourite

I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 11:07:01 PM »
Great advice from everyone so far. The residential development over the years has done a number on what must have been fantastic courses of days past. If you are looking for something  under the radar try Whispering Pines.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 08:34:33 AM »
Great advice from everyone so far. The residential development over the years has done a number on what must have been fantastic courses of days past. If you are looking for something  under the radar try Whispering Pines.
You won’t avoid the residential at Whispering Pines but you will find good golf on the East Course. Other enjoyable golf with much more limited residential is at Hyland Golf Course. Two good reasonably priced alternatives. For under $40 you can have a round of golf and a good dinner at the low key Whispering Woods. The course is short tight and quirky with good small sloped greens. The Thai food is excellent and the specials are all under $20.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back