News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Walker Cup 2019
« on: September 05, 2019, 03:19:58 AM »
NO Live TV Coverage this weekend?   >:(

Tim Gallant

Re: Walker Cup 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 04:18:18 AM »
David M and I will be there on the Saturday - very excited! Any others heading down and interesting in meeting up? Appreciate most will be at the BUDA.

Michael Pelliccione

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 06:01:23 AM »
Saturday, Sept. 7: 11 p.m. to 12 a.m. EST: Walker Cup Day One highlights – Golf Channel
Sunday, Sept. 8: 11 p.m. to 12 a.m. EST: Walker Cup Day Two highlights – Golf Channel

Cal Seifert

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 06:08:07 AM »
I remember the last walker cup at LACC getting the full fox sports coverage. A shame that isn’t happening this time.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 07:26:01 AM »
And the BBC are more interested in bragging about their highlights package for next weeks Solheim Cup, which suits their agenda nowadays   >:(

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 09:14:22 AM »
And the BBC are more interested in bragging about their highlights package for next weeks Solheim Cup, which suits their agenda nowadays   >:(

I find 'highlights' are almost unwatchable.  They should advertise them as putting comps.
Let's make GCA grate again!

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 09:38:36 AM »
Growing the game...by not actually showing it! What a concept...

George Smiltins

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »
I'm following the Walker Cup account on Instagram and you would think it was building to 48 hours of uninterrupted coverage. 3 minute video of Bhatia hitting right handed clubs on trackman.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 10:33:56 AM »
Totally unacceptable!

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 12:42:34 PM »
6-minute "behind the scenes' video from Tuesday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehzMwuMmhbg 

David_Tepper

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 02:55:38 AM »

It is the result of short term gain taking priority over long term sustainability. The removal of The Open from the BBC was the dumbest thing the R&A have ever done.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 10:14:06 AM »

It is the result of short term gain taking priority over long term sustainability. The removal of The Open from the BBC was the dumbest thing the R&A have ever done.
The BBC did not want it. The BBC even released themselves from the contract a year early.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

John Crowley

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »

I find 'highlights' are almost unwatchable.  They should advertise them as putting comps.

Right, I stopped watching the putting demos early and erased the recordings from my DVR.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 01:29:11 PM »

The BBC did not want it. The BBC even released themselves from the contract a year early.

Adrian,

it certainly was not that they did not want it. The BBC knew they could not compete financially with other bidders and so when the opportunity came up to finish their contract early they took it to save money. Had they been offered a deal they could have afforded they would probably have taken it. But looking at it from the other side of the equation, the exposure gained by the BBC coverage was massive compared to what it is now. In an era when the main concern for the governing bodies is/should be long term sustainability the R&A's biggest/easiest policy for this would have been less money from the BBC deal but massively more coverage/reach. Instead they went for chocolate and champagne today and starving tomorrow.

Jon

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »

Adrian,

it certainly was not that they did not want it. The BBC knew they could not compete financially with other bidders and so when the opportunity came up to finish their contract early they took it to save money. Had they been offered a deal they could have afforded they would probably have taken it. But looking at it from the other side of the equation, the exposure gained by the BBC coverage was massive compared to what it is now. In an era when the main concern for the governing bodies is/should be long term sustainability the R&A's biggest/easiest policy for this would have been less money from the BBC deal but massively more coverage/reach. Instead they went for chocolate and champagne today and starving tomorrow.

Jon
You know best Jon.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
With the Walker Cup and the Buda Cup being played on the same weekend we were all very concerned that the Buda Cup's media coverage would be adversely effected.

I can report that the Buda Cup's coverage was not effected in any way whatsoever!

The Buda Cup received exactly the same coverage that it would have received had the Walker Cup been played on other dates.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John McCarthy

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 08:56:33 PM »
2 years to Seminole.  I told my wife today I am attending.  Would be nice to get a crowd, south Florida in September is pretty cheap. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 09:00:45 PM »
Happily Seminole will be in May, but that is possibly no better.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
Peak of hurricane season or May?  I'm guessing the latter is "better"... ;)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:01:52 AM by Kalen Braley »

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »
2 years to Seminole.  I told my wife today I am attending.  Would be nice to get a crowd, south Florida in September is pretty cheap.

John - count me in. I've had this circled on my calendar since it was announced.

John McCarthy

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »
Ryan: I looked on Air BnB and there is a three bedroom within walking distance for 225 a night.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back