News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

Re: Mt. Rushmore for Golf Course Architects?
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 10:55:10 PM »
Peter,

Only if he can get a permit through public & regulatory reviews!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 11:31:30 PM »
Garland:

For personal reasons I'd sub C&A for Alister, but am most intrigued by your Bill Diddel nomination.  I was raised on a course renovated by him in 1955 and which has six all Diddel holes to this day, so I have a soft spot for him.  Most would agree with your post modern PD nom, but I would take him off based on the number of his mentor's courses that he trashed in all or part.

Anthony

It was suggested that RTJ be the modern architecture face on the mount. However, as the old saying goes anyone can make a golf course hard, it is much more difficult to make it interesting. Nix RTJ. William Hickman Diddel spent part of his career trying to make interesting golf courses without bunkers, i.e., anti-RTJ. He also invented a Cayman ball before there was a Cayman Islands golf course that needed a Cayman ball. And, he mentored the nominee for post modern face on the monument. Shouldn't a monument include an innovative mind if it is not Tom Doak's time yet? ;)

...  But with only a very small percentage of players able to play the greats and many courses closing due to lack of patronage - why can't architects create something short with no bunkers and a set of really cool greens for interest.  Throw in some ditches for drainage and strategy as well.

Brett,

I give you Bill Diddel.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Paul Jones

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »
So Donald Ross doesn't go on the Mount?

It’s a thought provoking question but who comes off??

Donald Ross replaces MacKenzie

Old Tom Morris
HS Colt
Donald Ross
CB MacDonald
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Michael Dugger

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
Colt
Mackenzie
Ross
Dye
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2019, 02:54:53 PM »
Bit confused with the two concurrent threads - see - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66657.0.html
nevertheless an aspect that occurs to me is that some were perhaps more originators whereas some followed more of an inspired by (ie copycat?) approach and whether the four on the Mount should be from the former category rather than from the latter? Also involved is perhaps an element of quiet achievers vrs self publicists/promoters?
Atb
Thomas,
I think you ought to just tell us what you really think about CBM.  ;D
p.s. One of our Presidents who occupies a spot on Mt. Rushmore was a self publicist and self promoter with an oversized persona
and a big stick that he used as he saw fit.  ;)
Not just CBM Jim! :)
atb

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »

Old Tom Morris
HS Colt
Alister MacKenzie
CB MacDonald

I swear Ian, if you had specified the actual Mt. Rushmore, we would have George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison up there. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back