News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Francis L James and Arthur Vernon Macan
« on: September 11, 2019, 04:30:12 PM »
I have long thought that the two predominant regional architects of the PNW were H. Chandler Egan, and A. V. Macan. As a result of a short road trip this weekend I have found another. Francis L. James learned golf architecture from Macan, and has more designs in the PNW than Macan.

From http://www.bcgolfhouse.com/university-peace-portal-fraser-view-following-langara
"At the Peace Arch Hill added to the plan by constructing the Peace Portal Golf Course. He hired Francis L. James, to design and construct his course. Vernon Macan probably never received the contract because a fundamental difference existed between the to designers. Vernon Macan considered himself only an architect not a builder. The owner needed to hire someone who knew how to move dirt and oversee the costs of construction. For this reason Macan lost many projects to James. James gave the owner of the property a firm price to design and construct a nine or eighteen hole golf course on the land provided. In fact James can be credited with the construction and design of more golf courses in WA, OR, ID than Macan. It is ironic that James received his architectural training for designing a golf course from Macan. He learned how to construct a golf course while working as the construction foreman in the northwest for the William Tucker Co. From 1920 – 1925 James constructed most of Vernon Macan’s designs."

"Peace Portal is the only golf course design credited to James in BC. For some reason James laid out the course, did the clearing, and general shaping but Hill then hired Vernon Macan in 1929 to complete the green designs and the bunkering plan. Actually this was not uncommon. Macan definitely knew how to design greens better than any other architect working in the northwest. His bunkering plans made it possible for the medium and high handicap players to enjoy the course while the low handicap was challenged to attain a good score."

If Macan designed the greens, and did the bunkering plans, should not Macan get credit as a co-designer of the course?
I would appreciate any additional information about the relationship between these two, and their cooperation on other golf courses.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 04:39:55 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bret Lawrence

Re: Francis L James and Arthur Vernon Macan
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »
Garland,

Did Francis L. James ever go by Frank?

I am not familiar with the relationship between Mr. James and A.V. Macan, but I have seen an article or two from the early 1920's mentioning Frank James on the east coast.  Around 1921-1922 Frank James was reported as the foreman in charge of construction at Willie Park's Green Valley CC in Pennsylvania.  From what I remember, the article mentioned Frank James was associated with Carters Tested Seeds at the time.

I think this article was posted in the Willie Park course listing thread.

Bret

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
Bret,

That would be the same person. Francis or Frank worked on construction for Tucker Associates that had offices in three locations including NY. Working for Tucker building courses is how he built the relationship with Macan apparently.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
Garland,

Here is another article I have seen.  This mentions Frank L. James supervising the construction at Beaver Dam Golf Club in Landover, Maryland (1923).  Devereux Emmet was working in an advisory capacity on the project, according to the author.

Bret

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
It turns out that BC Golf House has a recent article on Mr. James. This is where I found he worked on the Willie Park course Brett mentions.

"1919   Green Valley CC Roxborough PA Architect Willie Park Jr."

"Builder Francis L. James"

http://www.bcgolfhouse.com/francis-frank-james-golf-architect-builder-biography

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 04:58:33 PM »
I PM'd Dave McCollum about Frank James, because his (Doak 5) course is just across the river from Blue Lake Country Club (Doak 6). Pertinent parts of his response, which he OK'd posting) are in bold below.

I played all the other sports and didn't have much time for golf.  We did, however, spend endless hours roaming around in this canyon doing everything but golf.  We knew every inch of that BLCC property.  It's borderline too extreme elevation change wise for golf.  For example, they had a drop shot par 3 that dropped like 200 feet from tee to green.  Then you played along the river for 3 holes on that level and took this funicular cable car platform back up to the upper level.  We loved that lift.  This was before golf carts, of course.         

Fast forward about 25 years to 1974 when my father was building Canyon Springs.  He tried to get BLCC to use it as second nine, but got turned down by their board, so built his own 9-holer.  I moved back to Twin Falls for about a year and helped him get it going.  I didn't really play golf yet, but about two weeks before we officially opened in June 1975 we got a call from some U of I professor who said he wanted to see and play the course.  Everyone was busy trying to get it ready, so I got stuck showing him around.  I'd probably played a handful of rounds growing up, didn't consider myself a golfer, and just thought he was some freeloading academic looking for a free game.  I don't remember much about it because on 3rd hole I made a hole-in-one, quickly followed by something like a 13 on the next hole because I was laughing so much.  25 years later, when I finally decided to learn how to play and got into the whole golf course architecture hobby, I wondered if this guy had anything to do with James or, even more unlikely, was James himself.  I don't recall a Scottish accent or him being old enough to fit this chronology.
My father hired a first-time designer to build the our first 9 holes.  Young guy named Max Mueller a few years older than me at that time.  He stayed on and used our maintenance shed office as his design studio.  He designed and built the second nine for BLCC.  He built another 9-hole course in Salmon, Idaho and a full 18 hole course somewhere in Montana.  Very talented design-and-build guy.The best holes on our course and BLCC are Max's.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »
Once again, Mike Riste deserves credit for researching the life and career of a pioneer golf course designer and builder who's seemingly forgotten. Frank James worked across the United States, often in collaboration with a number of legends in the field of golf course architecture - really interesting, very cool history.

I've seen James' original 1920s era routing plan for the first rendition of Overlake in Bellevue, Washington (later resurrected and re-routed by Macan). It's a beautiful, large scale drawing similar to routing plans we see from other golf architects produced during the same era.
jeffmingay.com

Dave McCollum

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 06:20:14 PM »
Very interesting find Garland.  So, Blue Lakes was his last course.  I called Blue Lakes up after reading the James bio and they seemed excited about getting the info.  I hope that's OK with you.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 11:34:43 PM »
James' work up to 1940 that I know of:

Battle Creek CC - with Willie Park
Lu Lu CC - worked on the 9 hole addition

Brookline Square Club - with Clarey James (Edward Clarey?)
Center Hills CC - constructed the course designed by Alex Findlay

Kitsap G&CC
Olympic G&CC

Hermitage CC - with Edward Clarey

Lewiston GC

Moscow GC
Overlake GC

Everett G&CC - added 9 holes
Sands Point CC

Jackson Park Municipal GC - with William Tucker

Mapleview G&CC

Idaho Falls Municipal GC - 9 hole addition with William Tucker
Washington State University GC - remodel

Pre-1936

Allenmore GC

University of Idaho GC
Seminary Hill GC

Tri-City CC

Date Unknown

Yakima G&CC

I posted this Blue Lakes plan in the Plans and Maps thread a little while back (Oct. 19, 1947 The Times-News):

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:50:05 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 02:06:48 AM »
Sven -

Under 1924, you list "Olympic G&CC." Is that the Olympic Club in San Francisco? 1924 is right around the time the OC in SF converted from the original 18-hole Lakeside course to the 36-hole Lake and Ocean courses.

DT

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 07:34:05 AM »
Sven -

Under 1924, you list "Olympic G&CC." Is that the Olympic Club in San Francisco? 1924 is right around the time the OC in SF converted from the original 18-hole Lakeside course to the 36-hole Lake and Ocean courses.

DT

I believe that is a tyop. Should have said Olympia, as in the capital of WA.

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 07:41:51 AM »
"I believe that is a typo. Should have said Olympia, as in the capital of WA."

Garland -

I thought that might be the case. But I was just checking as AV Macan did work as far south as the SF Bay Area.

DT 

Dave McCollum

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 08:23:09 AM »
The Blue Lakes routing drawing above is pretty much what they built.  Look at the picture and you see the extreme elevation changes on the property.  Its a wild ride.  People walk it--the same people that raft rivers, climb vertical rock faces , climb mountains, run 6 miles every morning, you get the idea--so that's why they put in the lift in the 1950's to get those folks and their trolleys up from the river holes to the finishing stretch, and the later nine holes are in the same terrain.  What I gleaned from James' biography is that he would build whatever his client wanted. 

I grew up knowing all of the founders that made it happen, including my father and his buddies.  This is an incredibly stark, dramatic, and beautiful site.  I grew up here, traveled widely, and now have come home.  The culture and people who created this place are part of my DNA.  I think it is very similar to courses from the "golden age" of golf design: worthless piece of land for agriculture, no money for equipment to alter it, sand-based if you get rid of or work around the rocks, and you just have to lay it on the landscape the best you can. The canyon was created by the Great Bonneville Flood, a major geological event in earth's history.  The name comes from multiple natural springs that bubble up from the bottom of the canyon (476 feet deep) that flow up to 100,000 gallons per minute of pristine spring water into lakes and containment areas where you can read the brand of a beer can carelessly tossed into forty feet of water.  It is an oasis in the high desert.         

IMHO I think most golfers would be blown away by this course.  Probably more so for those in this DG because they are more tolerant of quirk and fun and the limitations of such "golden age" constraints to lay the course on a difficult piece of land.  I have the course next door (across the river), which is walkable, shares the same dramatic landscape, generally has the same component parts, but has evolved differently as more of a working per
son's version.  We have to get people around in a reasonable time and deal with the retail golfer while Blue Lakes is private.  Some might prefer us, Blue Lakes is hard, but I have no problem saying to try our version of canyon golf. You will have fun at both courses.  You won't have much at home like it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 08:23:22 AM »
Sorry David,

I got it wrong. It was Olympic, but just north of Seattle that was turned into housing just after the war.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:39:41 PM by Dave McCollum »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 10:13:18 AM »
I don't know what happened, but my post got whacked by this website's BS software[size=78%].  What's going on?  I think I'm going to quit, not worth the bother.  Goodbye my friends, I'll miss you.   [/size]

My experience shows that copying and pasting into a post often produces a tiny font. See your post below.
The Blue Lakes routing drawing above is pretty much what they built.  Look at the picture and you see the extreme elevation changes on the property.  Its a wild ride.  People walk it--the same people that raft rivers, climb vertical rock faces , climb mountains, run 6 miles every morning, you get the idea--so that's why they put in the lift in the 1950's to get those folks and their trolleys up from the river holes to the finishing stretch, and the later nine holes are in the same terrain.  What I gleaned from James' biography is that he would build whatever his client wanted. 

I grew up knowing all of the founders that made it happen, including my father and his buddies.  This is an incredibly stark, dramatic, and beautiful site.  I grew up here, traveled widely, and now have come home.  The culture and people who created this place are part of my DNA.  I think it is very similar to courses from the "golden age" of golf design: worthless piece of land for agriculture, no money for equipment to alter it, sand-based if you get rid of or work around the rocks, and you just have to lay it on the landscape the best you can. The canyon was created by the Great Bonneville Flood, a major geological event in earth's history.  The name comes from multiple natural springs that bubble up from the bottom of the canyon (476 feet deep) that flow up to 100,000 gallons per minute of pristine spring water into lakes and containment areas where you can read the brand of a beer can carelessly tossed into forty feet of water.  It is an oasis in the high desert.     

IMHO I think most golfers would be blown away by this course.  Probably more so for those in this DG because they are more tolerant of quirk and fun and the limitations of such "golden age" constraints to lay the course on a difficult piece of land.  I have the course next door (across the river), which is walkable, shares the same dramatic landscape, generally has the same component parts, but has evolved differently as more of a working person's version.  We have to get people around in a reasonable time and deal with the retail golfer while Blue Lakes is private.  Some might prefer us, Blue Lakes is hard, but I have no problem saying to try our version of canyon golf. You will have fun at both courses.  You won't have much at home like it.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 10:53:02 AM »
Garland,

Thanks for including the link to the biography on Francis L. James.  It was well written and very informative. I learned a lot about a man I knew little about.

Dave,

I appreciate your contribution as well.  Your personal experience adds great value to the discussion.  Thank you for sharing your stories. 

Bret

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
Here is what I found on Olympic Golf and Country Club.

http://crownhillneighbors.org/wp/2010/05/from-legends-to-lights-the-story-of-olympic-golf-club/

A snippet:

"Work on the new course began in May of 1924 on the picturesque site.  Architect Francis James actively oversaw the work, and while Bolcom was publicly dedicated to opening the course to golfers in late fall, James was less convinced that the deadline could be met.  But in late October of 1924, the new course was unofficially opened to the public – ahead of schedule."

The demise:

"But in a post-war Seattle hungry for housing, the inevitable bulldozers were never far away.  Later that year, plans to develop the property were made public, and by the mid-1950s, the golf course had been developed into building lots with sweeping views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains.  Olympic Manor was born."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:35:30 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 07:00:44 PM »
From the courses listed in the Golf House article, I have played perhaps Peninsula Golf Club. I say perhaps, because I have played two courses named Peninsula, but both are in WA, not OR. I just looked up their dates and it seems the one in Long Beach came online in 1947, and the one in Port Angeles came online in 1926. So I suspect the article is saying the one in Port Angeles is the one by Francis L. James. I also suspect that it may be like Peach Arch with Macan designing greens and bunker placements. I highly enjoyed the course. The club there has an annual inter-club match going on with Macan's George Vale across the Juan de Fuca Strait from Port Angeles since at least the end of WW2.

It would appear that the Port Angeles Golf and Country Club listed is the same as what is now Peninsula Golf Club, as I found a real estate listing for a house next to Peninsula Golf Club where the listing says it is next to Port Angeles Golf and Country Club.

I have also played Longview Country Club where the front 9 would be the original designed by Francis L. James. It is another course I highly enjoyed James's work on. It also has a vernicular that has been obsoleted by golf carts. I have always walked up the hill that the vernicular was put in service to aid with. Most of the front nine is in the upper section, and you return to the lower section by driving off the hilltop towards a drivable par 4 on the lower level.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »

Garland,
Peninsula GC in Portland was replaced by what is finally East Delta Park in the northern part of the triangle between Denver Ave and Union Ave (now MLK). I remember my father showing me where it had been located. I have two old Portland maps. The first shows it, the second map has the area listed as East Vanport.  Portland Meadows horse race track was probably near the southern boundary.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 08:58:53 PM »
Thanks Pete,

Good to know Mr. Riste has that one correct. I was suspicious, because his Macan book lists Pendleton in BC at one point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back