News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Truckee (CA) pecking order
« on: August 25, 2019, 01:15:40 AM »
Coyote Moon, Grey's Crossing, Lahontan, Martis Camp, Northstar, Old Greenwood, Shaffer's Mill, Tahoe Donner. All eight are super close to each other; the longest drive between any two of them is about 20 minutes.

I've yet to play any of them. What's the pecking order? Are any of them "clunkers", or are they all at least good?

Tom_Doak

Re: Truckee (CA) pecking order
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 04:05:43 AM »
I had no idea there were so many.  How come no developer up there ever called me?

Anyway, i believe the pecking order is
1 Martis Camp
2 Lahontan, which I think was the first of them, and
3 everything else

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 04:23:16 AM »
Note that my previous post is based entirely on perceived reputation, I have never been to any of the above courses.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »
They did a KP up there many moons ago...perhaps some of those guys will chime in.

I've heard rave reviews about Martis Camp as well, but all the rest blend in...

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »
What is the status of Clear Creek, the Coore & Crenshaw course in Nevada on the east side of Lake Tahoe? I recall it was having financial problems 3-5 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:16:15 PM by David_Tepper »

Daryl David

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 12:33:45 PM »
What is the status of Clear Creek, the Coore & Crenshaw course in Nevada on the east side of Lake Tahoe? I recall it was having financial problems 3-5 years ago.

Problems seem to be over.  Place is doing well.  All the amenities are being finished and the course is in great shape.  They recently added a lake and ski house down on Tahoe near Heavenly.  Private equity money rescued the development about 18 months ago and has been pumping money in to get it finished. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 12:34:46 PM »
Lahontan and Marti's Camp are tops in the Truckee area, but weren't on the KP roster. I would include Clear Creek as a near equal, but its is nearly an hour way.  Of the KP courses I would put Old Greenwood and Schaffer's Mill (Timlick when we played it) above the others. Did not play Gray's Crossing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:37:53 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
I've played all of them, some more than once.

Martis Camp might be my favorite Fazio course.

Coyote Moon is the only course listed that doesn't have housing. It's pretty good.

Lahontan is a Weiskopf course that's okay. Good finishing stretch but the rounded mounds and lakes are clearly artificial. Great locker room.

Old Greenwood is a Nicklaus course that has its moments.  It's cart ball golf lined with houses. Probably a 5 hour round.

Grays Crossing is a perfect example of a likeable PGA tour player (Peter Jacobson) getting a job and not knowing what to do. He insisted on making it playable for high handicap players so it has virtually no architectural interest. I would avoid it at all costs.

Schaeffers Mill is slightly better than Grays Crossing.

DFarron

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 04:20:52 PM »
Coyote Moon, Grey's Crossing, Lahontan, Martis Camp, Northstar, Old Greenwood, Shaffer's Mill, Tahoe Donner. All eight are super close to each other; the longest drive between any two of them is about 20 minutes.

I've yet to play any of them. What's the pecking order? Are any of them "clunkers", or are they all at least good?

Make the drive to Clear Creek you won't regret it....then

Lahontan
Martis
Old Greenwood

Northstar and Tahoe Donner.... :-*

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 06:59:22 PM »
I'm playing at Old Greenwood on Friday and will report back.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 02:21:12 AM »
I have played them all except for Martis and Lahontan. Too private for me. My favorite is Coyote Moon with pine lined fairways, changes in elevation and rock outcroppings. Old Greenwood is flat compared to others. Northstar is the oldest and most public. Flat meadow front and hilly backside. Tahoe Donner is hilly lined with pines. Greys Crossing and Schafer Mill are similar pine lined with changes in elevation. Clear Creek is better than any but on the other side of the lake.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 03:51:30 PM »
Clear Creek
Lahontan/Martis tie
Old Greenwood
Coyote Moon

Have not played rest.
Mr Hurricane

John Cowden

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 01:19:04 AM »
What about Grizzly Ranch, an easy 45” north along the high road?
I thought it the equal of, if not more interesting than, Lahontan.  I haven’t played Martis. 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 08:05:57 AM »
What about Grizzly Ranch, an easy 45” north along the high road?
I thought it the equal of, if not more interesting than, Lahontan.  I haven’t played Martis.

Grizzly is fantastic, but it is a healthy drive away.
Mr Hurricane

Michael George

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 04:47:38 PM »
IMHO, the only special course in Tahoe is Clear Creek.  I think it is one of C&C's most underrated golf courses.

After Clear Creek, I thought Martis Camp is the clear number 2, even though it is surrounded by houses.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 01:00:25 PM »
Clear creek
Martis camp
Old greenwood
Gray's Crossing
Lahontan
Shaeffer's Mill
Tahoe Donner
Northstar
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
Isn't Old Greenwood an oxymoron?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 04:07:30 PM »

I played Old Greenwood last Friday and really enjoyed it. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I found a lot of the holes to be really interesting. That said, not everyone on here would love it: it's tough, and it's not overly friendly to the ground game. There are a lot of diagonal greens, and therefore many carries to get to middle or back hole locations.In some ways it's pretty typical Nicklaus design. The greens were very soft, I think because if they were kept firm the course would be unreasonably difficult for most golfers. The greens and surrounds are pretty severe. I think it would be a great tournament venue, but the average golfer is definitely not going to shoot their career round here.

The course is about 7,550 from the tips, but I got a full 10%+ gain at 6,000 feet elevation, so length was not a significant factor.

1, a mid-length par-four. A good diagonal green example.

3, another diagonal green. By the way, I didn't find a huge fade bias as Nicklaus courses go. These first two pictures are left-to right greens, but they go right-to-left on 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 15, and 18.

6 and 7. Most of the promo pics of Old Greenwood are of 6, the par 5. The 7th in the background has a big slope to get to the left side of the green, although the greens were probably too soft to really use it.

Here's that promo pic of 6:

8 is a very good drivable par-4 with at least 3 distinct options from the tee. The teeshot comes from well right of this photo.

8 green

9, a left-bending par-4. The tee shot was cool, the second shot a bit plain, and it's not friendly to a run-up shot by any means.

16, a shortish par-4. I really liked this green (and the view!). Luckily I hit my tee shot down the left side and had this angle.

16 green

17, I suppose a typical Nicklaus 17th hole, a long par-3 with a left-to-right diagonal green.

18, an uphill mid-length par-4 with a green that looks a lot like 18 at Muirfield Village.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:03:04 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 05:17:44 PM »
Matt, is 17 a reverse Redan?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 05:39:00 PM »
Matt, is 17 a reverse Redan?

The hole was cut in the front so I didn't really see much of the back. Maybe very slightly but not really I don't think.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back