News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: The Island Club v. The European Club
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »
Where else can you play a 127 yard deep green?  TEC was a stiff test which could have benefitted from a caddie for sure, as I ran low on ammo after the front. Bad execution combined with not knowing where to go on some holes caused lost balls.

Really thought the greens were good with some character.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 02:12:12 PM »
A few photos from my last trip in late Nov 2018.

Tinakilly Country House is a great place to stay. 20 minutes from the club.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:45:10 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
Glendalough in County Wicklow. It is an ancient monastic community on two lakes, hence Glendalough: Valley of two lakes.

Wicklow mts

St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »
Tommy:

Have you ever gone to play Carlow while you were in that part of Ireland?  I saw it when I was first there in 1983, but it was during a stretch of awful wet weather, and inland courses were mostly swamped.  With Tom Simpson having been involved there, I suspect there was more to it than I can remember, but I haven't been back in that corner of the world since.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2019, 08:17:16 PM »
Tommy:

Have you ever gone to play Carlow while you were in that part of Ireland?  I saw it when I was first there in 1983, but it was during a stretch of awful wet weather, and inland courses were mostly swamped.  With Tom Simpson having been involved there, I suspect there was more to it than I can remember, but I haven't been back in that corner of the world since.

I have played it a few times many years ago. It is about ten miles from the monastery (Bolton Abbey, Trappist) I go to every year. As you know it was touted the best inland course in the country for years. It just might be a contender anyway and I have played a couple dozen inland courses. I have only played it in November. I like the rolling terrain and I think the greens themselves have good movement and the bunkers are well placed. he strength of the course is a good collection of par threes. The par fives are a bit short but it is a very good inland course. Mount Wolseley, a Christy O'Connor jr design, is nearby but is not as interesting as Carlow. The last time I was at TEC I met a couple Carlow members. They told me that in the summer the fairways are rock hard and the course plays like a links. In November the course is a tad slow but it sure is green. That said, it has generally been firmer than other area inland courses. The course drains well. The last hole is a fun par five that is reachable and oddly enough plays downhill to the clubhouse.

By the way a former abbot of Bolton Abbey had a Carlow membership and played a couple times a week. I will be there again this November. Maybe I'll have one of the monks drive me to the course and can get another look at the course.

The courses at the K Club, Carton House, Powerscourt, and Druid's Glen are more difficult but I don't think they are necessarily better.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:34:26 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Craig Sweet

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 02:24:16 PM »
Speaking of Dublin tours...A tour with the Lettie, the Dublin foodie is well worth the walk! 

https://deliciousdublintours.com/

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2019, 05:15:56 AM »
Kudos to you Cliff on The Blue Light! Hope you enjoyed it.

Ira, thanks for the tip on Stephen Walsh, will look out for him. A guy of a few talents obviously.

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2019, 07:24:25 AM »
Tommy:

Have you ever gone to play Carlow while you were in that part of Ireland? 

I played Carlow in August of 1991-My host in Watervile's wife was from Carlow. I also played Kilkenny GC and Mt Juliet (which was then brand new).
I don't remember a lot of Carlow, but I remember it had that "old" mature feel that I like and I remember enjoying the course quite a bit.(I'm sure I didn't know who Simpson was then)
I do remember calling them on a Friday about playing on a Saturday and they said "it wasn't possible as they had a competition on all day".... that is.... unless I could could come out REALLY early.
I replied no problem-"what's time?"

They said rather apologetically... you'd have to be off...by 9 o'clock

THose were the days...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Franklin

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2019, 09:46:51 AM »
I am playing TEC in a month and staying at the Powerscourt. Will be there for a week and change at a conference. I forgot what other courses have been set up but I can't wait. We are also doing a driving school one day which sounded fun. I know we will be playing the courses at Powerscourt. Are they any good?
Mr Hurricane

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2019, 12:02:43 PM »
Tommy W - Great Pix. Are they all the European Club? I haven't played there, but it looks like one of the greener courses in Ireland. Last time I played the Island it was  pretty brown by comparison, but played fantastic. Here's a link to photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157669650103762/with/27908901075/

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »
I am playing TEC in a month and staying at the Powerscourt. Will be there for a week and change at a conference. I forgot what other courses have been set up but I can't wait. We are also doing a driving school one day which sounded fun. I know we will be playing the courses at Powerscourt. Are they any good?

Jim, the Powerscourt Hotel is reminiscent of the Greenbrier. The golf is good and will keep you interested. The West Course was designed by David Mclay Kidd and the East Course by Peter McEvoy. The East Course has held some countrywide tournaments. I played the West Course. It is pretty hilly and the greens have more slope than undulation but are not overly quick. My guess is they run in the 9 range. The course tends to be a bit soft. I played it in November so that might account for the soft conditions. I can imagine putting in drainage was a huge job. The views are just stunning with Sugarloaf Mt and on fifteen tee (I think) you can catch a glimpse of the Sea. I think you will enjoy the golf. They are two of the better inland courses in the country.

Make sure you wander through the gardens. They are remarkable and worth the hour or so. It's not my thing but I am glad I did it. If you have time head over to Glendalough. It might be the most beautiful inland spot in Ireland. The Wicklow mts are pretty special. Have fun and say high to Pat Ruddy from me.

Oursuite

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:53:37 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »
Tommy W - Great Pix. Are they all the European Club? I haven't played there, but it looks like one of the greener courses in Ireland. Last time I played the Island it was  pretty brown by comparison, but played fantastic. Here's a link to photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157669650103762/with/27908901075/

They are all pictures of TEC. I took them in November. The course tends to be green at that time of year. I always go in late October or early November. The weather is generally excellent and the temperatures in the 50s and 60s.
St. John of the Cross

Victor Donnay

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2019, 10:02:15 PM »
Stewart - thanks for the picture tour of the Island Club.  Brings back fond memories of a great visit there in early November 2016. At that time of year, the sun is low in the sky and in late afternoon highlights the ripples in the fairway in an amazing way.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back