News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

Re: More Golf Course Obituaries
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 10:04:24 PM »

– Gene Torres Golf Course, self-described as “a touch of Scotland in the heart of Las Vegas” – that would be Las Vegas, New Mexico – has been put on a strict budget and isn’t likely to operate in 2020. The nine-hole, Jeff Brauer-designed layout has reportedly lost roughly $190,000 annually in recent years, and its owner, New Mexico Highlands University, would rather invest such monies in academics. 

Interesting news. I was thinking of going to play it one of these weekends. It's about 90 minutes drive from me. I've driven by and doesn't look like much. Very flat land. Probably the architect, one of our own, did what he could with it though, so I imagine it's pleasant.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Many More Golf Course Obituaries -- new ones added
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »

Sorry to hear of this, but in reality, they struggled before I got there, struggled with a low construction budget when I was there, and struggled after re-opening, so perhaps not surprising.  For a while, they had hired a decent superintendent, but I know he left fairly quickly.  In looking at the aerial photo, it appears they have water problems, which I think is the case with most New Mexico courses, where state water laws have seen my two courses there stripped of water later in life, and always a struggle politically to keep someone from reducing your water.

I recall they kept re-issuing the RFP in different forms, and it may have taken 3 years to actually hire us.  I might have been the last man standing, LOL and took the job just to mitigate the losses of marketing spending. 

Architecturally, there are Road Hole, Boomerang, Redan and a Mae West greens in there, but it was mostly basic stuff. RIP Gene Torres.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:33:00 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

MCirba

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
Not NLE but the Pete Dye designed (and highly rated) Bulle Rock is up for sale.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 06:54:56 PM »
Mike,

The course and adjacent residential zoned property was listed for sale 2 years ago ! The residential land ( 14 acres)  is now under a Letter of Intent according to the broker. The course is still for sale and the broker is soliciting offers.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back