News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Victor Donnay

HIghlands golf and Boat of Garten
« on: August 13, 2019, 06:37:18 AM »
I have just returned from a wonderful week golfing in the highlands: Fortrose & Rosemarkie, Brora, Castle Stuart, Dornoch, Golspie and Boat of Garten. My wife and I drove to and from Edinburgh and stayed for the week in a flat in Dornoch, making day trips. All the courses were great fun but I wanted to give a special shout out to Boat of Garten which I played on the day we drove back to Edinburgh. Stopping there was a nice way to break up the 4 hour drive from Dornoch as it is about half way.

As described more fully in https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63531.0.html, it is a quirky James Baird course. Framed golf articles in the locker room indicate it was voted the #1 hidden gem course in Scotland as well as #4 among Great Britain’s top 100 Courses under 50L. (It now costs 75L for a visitor). Even though it is inland (in the Cairngorms National Park), it has the rolling, bouncing sandy fairways of a links course. The website hidden links (https://www.hiddenlinksgolf.com/scotland-golf-courses/boat-of-garten-golf-club/ ) claims the turf “rivals the finest seaside links”. From my short tour of courses, I would agree. I am curious why there is sandy ground in the middle of Scotland.  There are a couple of blind shots and lots of up and down and twists and turns on the course. I was glad to have a rented an electric trolley. It definitely has the feel of an old time course.  On the 12th, one hits from a very elevated tee down to a narrow fairway with a view of the mountains in the distance.  The 15th hole has a huge gully just where a drive would go so unless one is a long hitter, one is advised to lay up at 160 yards and then make a second shot of equal length in. I hit a 5 wood in, my best shot of the day, and got birdie there. From the 17th tee, one has a view down on the Spey river.  The 18th is a 435 yd par 4 dogleg right to an elevated green; more ratings – my host told me this hole has been picked as one of the top 18 holes in Scotland by a well known TV golf analyst. 

I can imagine there are great views of the nearby mountains; I played on a misty, rainy day so could not see much of them. In the fall, the colors of the trees would be spectacular. I did see and hear the charming vintage steam train that runs alongside the course.

Perhaps because the course does not get much international traffic, they were particularly welcoming. They set up me up to play with one of their club captains who was a most genial host, helping me track down my lost shots in the rough, guiding me around the course and treating me to lunch. I was impressed by their recently renovated bar and restaurant and the modern locker room (better than all but Castle Stuart). Although it was hard to tear myself away from the seaside courses, I was very glad to have made the visit to Boat of Garten and its old timey Baird course.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:52:38 AM by Victor Donnay »

Jon Wiggett

Re: HIghlands golf and Boat of Garten
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 04:05:41 PM »

Victor,

there is a group of second tier courses in the Highlands which is really good. BoG is one but there are numerous others including several nine holers. There are just too many golf fanatics who visit and only play the big names which is a shame as they miss out on a big part of what golf is really about.

Jon

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »
Probably your spellchecker, but BRAID, please!
 ;D
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Victor Donnay

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:45:21 PM »
Jon - could you give a list of your recommendations for these other 2nd tier courses; for my next visit to Scotland :)

Marty - thanks for the correction; yes, definitely the (human) spell checker :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »
Victor:  one of my favorite photos I've taken is from the 2nd tee at Boat of Garten, with snow on the mountains in the distance.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:11:00 AM »
Another fun course and one you more than likely drove past is Pitlochery. It isn’t as good as BOG but it sure is fun.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »
I saw Boat of Garten on my way up to Buda last year. Highly recommended.

The second hole is over some interesting ground and has quite the backdrop.
DSC00148a by john mayhugh, on Flickr
DSC00149 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The par 3 third
DSC00151 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

A badger gate in a boundary fence (had to ask what this was)DSC00193 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Settings like this are a reward for playing inland.
DSC00199 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The 15th is around 300 yards, but safe landing areas are either 150 or 250 from the tee.
DSC00206 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

DSC00208 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Victor Donnay

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »
John - thanks for the photos. Since I was playing on a rainy day, I did not actually get to see the mountains. I did see the badger gate but had no idea what it was. I found the fencing around the edges of the course interesting; it makes it very clear where the out of bound is!  Next to the 15th tee, there is a little observation platform to help one see the target posts and gully. I will try to post my picture of it.

Tom - if your picture of the mountains with snow from tee 2 is different from John's, could you post it.

My host advised me to aim my drive left on 2; I sliced it into the trees right and lost the ball ] :( [size=78%] When we were playing 16, someone from a group behind us came up to us and asked if we had lost a ball on #2 and returned my orange velocity titleist to me. I have never had that happen to me before [/size] :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 09:48:41 PM »
Victor:

My photo is on Kodachrome slide film, and i don't think that is one of the images I had digitized for The Confidential Guide.  I will check on that tomorrow.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 03:24:02 AM »
Great photos John. Thanks for sharing.
The badger gate - sounds like a political scandal! - is a new one on me.

atb

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 07:41:41 AM »
Great photos John. Thanks for sharing.
The badger gate - sounds like a political scandal! - is a new one on me.
I had to ask what this was, and had an interesting conversation about it with a member of staff. Since the badgers don't receive training on gate usage, they will often rip up a fence section just adjacent to a gate. But gates do seem to help.

Victor,
I have seen plenty of similar structures around the UK.

DSC00205 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 01:54:05 AM »

Jon - could you give a list of your recommendations for these other 2nd tier courses; for my next visit to Scotland :) 

Hi Victor,

as well as BoG in the Spey Valley there is Grantown on Spey, Kingussie and the 9 hole Abernethy (Nethybridge). But also look at Moray Old, Elgin, Spey Bay in Moray. Then in Ross-shire Muir of Ord, Fortrose & Tain. In Sutherland Golspie, Brora & Durness. In Sutherland Wick & Reay. All of these courses have much to recommend them.

Jon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 02:33:06 PM »

Hi Victor,

as well as BoG in the Spey Valley there is Grantown on Spey, Kingussie and the 9 hole Abernethy (Nethybridge). But also look at Moray Old, Elgin, Spey Bay in Moray. Then in Ross-shire Muir of Ord, Fortrose & Tain. In Sutherland Golspie, Brora & Durness. In Sutherland Wick & Reay. All of these courses have much to recommend them.

Jon

How could you not mention Tarbat at Portmahomack along with Tain?

Then there is Brahan, which for me was a completely unique experience. I hesitate to recommend it as many may not appreciate it as much as I did. The hosts are great though.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »

Your right Garland. Tarbart at Portmahomack is a gem of a course which had completely slipped my mind. As for Brahan, I am not one to blow my own trumpet so thanks for your kind words.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back