News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

A Summer in Dornoch
« on: August 05, 2019, 09:47:47 PM »
After hosting for the first Kings Putter Tom Huckaby sent me a copy of A Summer in Dornoch as a thank you gift. I already had fond memories of staying there briefly on our honeymoon and had always vowed to go back. The book reaffirmed that thought. Since I’m now retired it’s very doable. We decided to wait until next year for the new unified handicap system to kick in, which should make competing in the local competitions a lot fairer. Some questions:

What are the best months to visit the Highlands? We are looking to get out of SD in August and September when its now quite hot.

I had talked to Rich Goodale about how to become a member at Dornoch; apparently you first apply for membership at the Struie Course. Does being a Struie member help with access or reduced green fees?

We would obviously like to spend time at both Brora and Golspie; would you recommend day trips out of Dornoch or just moving base? My wife is consumed by British Lawn Bowling and all three places have Lawn Bowling Clubs so I’m leaning towards 2 weeks in Dornoch and 1 week each in Golspie and Brora.   

Any recommendations on accommodation would be welcome. I realize DT has a place in Dornoch but my I think it is more suited to a big party than a couple.  The new apartments overlooking the 3rd hole look very nice. Is the Hotel at Dornoch still open?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

SL_Solow

Re: A Summer in Dornoch
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 10:44:48 PM »
Talk to David Tepper

Stan Dodd

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:43:46 PM »
Pete,
My wife and I have done just what you are planning.  We have stayed for 6 months  a couple of times and a couple of months a  few other times.  The times we spent in Dornoch are some of most treasured memories.

I agree talk to David.  Here is my 2 cents...

My favorite time to go is in the spring when the gorse is in full flower.  Stunning!

You can join as Struie member and get a few guest rate rounds on the Championship.
You can also join Golspie or Tain or Brora and get reciprocal rounds on the Championship.

The Highland clubs have many Open events and Senior Open events.  You can play many courses in tournament play for a fraction of the normal green fee.  The Scottish Golf Union is the place to find the schedule of Opens.

Lodging is the rub.  Prices have jumped by double and more from the times we did the long term.  If you can find a place in town that is the best so you can walk every where.
Last summer I rented a bicycle from a local bike shop and it was great.
We are going in September this year
We plan on being there in April next year.
WE take the train up from Edinburgh or Glasgow ( really easy).  Then we pick up our rental in Inverness at the Enterprise in town.  They pick you up  and drop you off at the train station.

Be happy to help in any way.

Again the highlight of retirement so far  has been my time in Dornoch.

John Crowley

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 09:11:18 AM »
Pete,

Yes, talk to David.

Struie members have 4 rounds on the Championship course at the member guest rate of 20 GBP and unlimited play on the Struie and also access to online advance tee booking.

Best option for a stay of more than a couple days are self-catering flats or cottages vs hotels or B&Bs. Book months ahead. PM me for contact information on a couple I recommend. If you find one of interest, I may have stayed there and could share my impressions.

There is a new apartment complex very near the clubhouse. I believe some investors are buying and doing short term rentals. Others may know more about his recent development.

Shoulder seasons are good times to visit. July and August are busy months with more limited tee sheets. September is always great. This June I had no problem finding a game.

Check on the bowling season dates.

Am happy to answer other Qs via PM.

Definitely get there, you both will love it.

Cheers,
John
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:13:07 AM by John Crowley »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 10:02:32 AM »
Having just played Dornoch for the first time, I would most certainly consider retiring there. I loved everything about the place. The people are great, the course is the best I have played. It was an unequivocal 10 in my book.
Mr Hurricane

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »
One first becomes a "Struie member" following a streamlined application process that commences with recommendations from existing members. The Struie membership usually lasts 2-3 years before it converts, at your option, to "full" membership.

Struie membership also allows for some reciprocity at Golspie and Brora or, at the very least, reduced green fees.

I believe that September is the best month: less crowds, great weather, days are still long, etc.

Some great B&Bs in Dornoch with "At #9" being my personal favorite. Evelyn will take care of you.
Tepper's place is suitable for a couple or a group and is a 90 second walk to the first tee.

The Dornoch Bay Hotel, you mean? Or the Royal Golf Hotel? The former is a bit...uh..."charming" and VERY reasonable.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
A lot of good information already posted here.

www.visitdornoch.com has a large listing of B&B's and "Self-Catering" rentals.

Last year I posted a list of non-golf tourist ideas for spending time in and around Dornoch:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65828.msg1571554.html#msg1571554

The Stone's Throw Cottage at Golspie GC is one of the best "stay & play" packages in the world of golf (just ask Steve Wilson and Ken Moum!)

https://www.golspiegolfclub.co.uk/stone-s-throw-cottage

I am always happy to help anyone plan a visit to the bonnie Highlands. You are welcome to send me an PM or email me at tcmnav@aol.com

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:31:01 PM by David_Tepper »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »

I believe that September is the best month: less crowds, great weather, days are still long, etc.

Tepper's place is suitable for a couple or a group and is a 90 second walk to the first tee.

September the day is from around 6am through to 8.30pm so not bad. As Ian says, the weather is usually quite good and the courses quiet enough to always get on. But, in my opinion the best time is late May through June as you have quiet courses, stable weather and the days go from 3am through to 11pm meaning starting at 7pm still leaves plenty of time to get 18 holes in.

I can vouch that DT's place is the perfect location and very suitable for a couple.

Jon

Steve Wilson

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 01:32:32 PM »

Pete, Since 2014 I've averaged 10-12 weeks in Scotland and concentrated that time on the northeast coast near Dornoch, Golspie, and Brora.   I don't want to contradict any of the other long term visitors or residents, but my experience has been that the Scottish weather can be fickle indeed.  Trying to assure oneself of good weather is a sucker bet.  That being said I think the August and September period is likely to be the most consistently good.  David Tepper splits his time between late spring and late summer and so can chip in with his experiences/opinion. 

The east coast is cooler and drier than western Scotland, and I'm told that Dornoch has something of a microclimate that insulates it from some of the fouler weather that afflicts areas just north and south of it.  As I say I'm told that and can't swear to it.

Golspie is so close to the North Sea (formerly, prior to World War I at least, know as the German Ocean) that there is little buffering effect.  Part of the course is no more more than 10 yards from the water at high tides.  Sadly, there were some exceptional tides in recent memory that flooded the course.  I play most of my golf at Golspie and I think the wind is more of a constant factory there than at either Dornoch or Brora.  The opinions of others may differ and the facts might as well if there were any way of ascertaining it.  Overseas membership at Golspie also provides reduced rates at many courses and at 225 GBP provides a one time payment that is the equivalent of four rounds at full price.  You might want to look into it.   

As far as moving base, there is only fifteen miles between Dornoch and Brora (and going south Tain, a very enjoyable course is only ten miles).  I like settling in rather than moving, but your attitude may well vary.  Either option provides ample opportunity for getting in a lot of golf.  And as you say there is lawn bowling aplenty.  I think Tain may have lawn bowling as well.

Accommodation advice is dependent on whether you want to go the B & B route or whether you prefer full self catering.  Both are available in the area. 

I hope I've provided something useful in the midst of the caveats, but if you love golf, especially links golf, I don't know how you can go wrong in this part of the world.  Dornoch may not be exactly Brigadoon, but it's damned close.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Bill Crane

Re: A Summer in Dornoch New
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 05:30:44 PM »
Folks:

Does anyone ever stay/rent a caravan for a golf excursion?   Is there some stigma associated with that?

They seem to be near every links course but I have never met anyone who owns or has stayed in one.

Are those resorts really congested?

Just something that occurred to me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:29:05 PM by Bill Crane »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 05:44:52 PM »
Folks:

Does anyone ever stay/rent a caravan for a golf excursion?   Is there some stigma associated with that?

They seem to be near every links course but I have never met anyone who owns or has stayed in one.

Are those resorts really congested?

Just something that occurred to me.

Bill,
The ones at Dornoch are VERY nice. A couple of quick interior snaps from last year:

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

James Brown

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »
I was lucky enough to become a member last year.  I am partial to June.  It’s not crowded yet. 

Victor Donnay

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 07:13:23 AM »
I just returned from a week staying in Dornoch. My wife and I rented an airbnb house - it turned out to be right next door to DT's. It had three bedrooms so more than we needed but was very nice and well equipped. My wife really appreciated getting to stay put in one location.

In addition to playing Dornoch, I made day trips to Brora, Golspie and Castle Stuart.  While I played, my wife would go for walks - always beautiful paths to be found along the water. The first two places were very easy drives; the latter took about 1 hour. We flew in and out of Edinburgh. On the day we drove to Dornoch, I played at Fortrose & Rosemarkie (1 hour from Dornoch, can also take the tiny Cromarty-Nigg ferry) and my wife walked out to the lighthouse there to look for dolphins (which did not appear that day). On the return drive to Edinburgh, I played at Boat of Gartner (highly recommend it); it is about a 90 minute drive from Dornoch; 30 minutes past Inverness.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 03:32:22 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. We have pretty much decided on September of 2020, so we do need to get the ball rolling on securing a place for that month.

Still haven’t decide whether to become a Struie member or join one of the other 3 clubs as an International member though.

Has anyone spent an extended stay in either Golspie or Brora?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:20:06 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jon Wiggett

Re: A Summer in Dornoch New
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »

Pete,

I am not sure that I would stay in Brora as though the course is IMO better than RD the village really is not so great. Dornoch is a lovely place but I would also say that Tain is a good place to stay and Golspie not bad either.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:00:38 AM by Jon Wiggett »

William_G

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 08:38:24 PM »
the caravans are ideally located for sure and I would give it a go there for sure

a visit to the local Tesco convenience store would be a very local thing to do, G&Ts in a can are very civilized :)

almost met up with David while there as I really didn't realize that he may be there etc...

not to miss is a visit to Embo and a nice walk past the sports field to the proposed site of Coul Links

whatever, all is good in the area and a hike up to the Sunderland Statue is worth it

I recommend Spring for the Highlands and Dornoch, and head to the PNW in the fall

cheers Pete
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back