News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Hunt

Major Shake-up?
« on: January 13, 2007, 07:02:21 AM »
Too Short" is not a good escuse for not hosting a major!(See Whistling Straits Thread)

It sould OK if it is not "Ripped Out".

Talented Pros like Furyk, McGinly, Luke Donald and Monty should be winnning lots of Majors but the coursee are too long.

My suggestion is that either the US open or USPGA goes to a "short" course like Pacific Dunes, Cystal Downs or even NGLA and the other stays on "long courses".

This would make the majors more complete as the current set up favors "Bombers"

What do you think?

Tom_Doak

Re:Major Shake-up?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 09:34:30 AM »
Matthew:

It wouldn't take a change of site selections ... all you've got to do is convince either the USGA or the R & A to quit adding 400 yards worth of new tees to one of their future sites.

Their comeback would be that ALL of the sites of major championships are on the short side now "because the players are so well conditioned" ... it hasn't got anything to do with equipment of course.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:18:22 AM »
Talented Pros like Furyk, McGinly, Luke Donald and Monty should be winnning lots of Majors but the coursee are too long.

Matt,

I'd really like to see you back that statement up. Phil and Tiger won 3/4 of the majors this year, and Geoff Ogilvy won when Mickelson through the US Open away.

Are you saying these players aren't as talented as Furyk and all?

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »

Matt,

I'd really like to see you back that statement up. Phil and Tiger won 3/4 of the majors this year, and Geoff Ogilvy won when Mickelson through the US Open away.

Of course they are they are but there only a certian number of players who hit it long enough to reaally challenge them.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »
Matthew, I think Merion would fit your criteria.  I walked a few holes in the US Amateur alongside Gary Wolstenholme, one of the shortest players around, but even he didn't seem to be overpowered by the course.  He took a wood on 17 and on 9, but he reached the greens comfortably, and he reached the 5th green in two (500 yards par 4).

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 11:16:43 AM »

Matthew
Did you watch the US Open at Winged Foot?
I seem to recall Monty and Furyk both had putts on 18 to either win or force a playoff.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 11:19:14 AM »
Matthew

There's more to the site selection of the US Open and PGA than the quality of the course. In the US, location and infrastructure are  major factors as well. Wait until 2013 for Merion to host the US Open.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 11:23:19 AM »

Matthew
Did you watch the US Open at Winged Foot?
I seem to recall Monty and Furyk both had putts on 18 to either win or force a playoff.

Yes Long cources does not stop them but leave them at a disadvantage.

If Gary Player was a pro now he would not win as many Majors because of the courses.

Mark, I think Merrion would be a very good venue.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »
If Gary Player were a pro now he'd be just as long as today's guys, so would Nicklaus, Bobby Jones or Harry Vardon.  And, with fewer people going to church these days, the Good Lord would have more time to listen to Gary's prayers.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »
If Gary Player were a pro now he'd be just as long as today's guys, so would Nicklaus, Bobby Jones or Harry Vardon.  And, with fewer people going to church these days, the Good Lord would have more time to listen to Gary's prayers.

I think Player would only average 270, not long enough to win 7 Majors (I think)

JR Potts

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 12:00:03 PM »

Matt,

Of course they are they are but there only a certian number of players who hit it long enough to reaally challenge them.

Not true at all.  Medinah was longest set-up ever for a major. On Sunday, I was with Tiger all day long.  He shot 68, hit two drivers off the tee.  Both drives went less than 300 yards.

Those sharing your view seem to forget that he rolled in about four 30 footers and got up and down both times he missed a shot.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:04:23 PM by Ryan Potts »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back