News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

GCA Aussies At Sand Valley - Living The Dream!
« on: July 25, 2019, 01:02:38 AM »
Jerry Kluger and I met a couple of Aussies this week at Sand Valley... Peter and Catherine Verey from Syndey.

Peter has been a longtime lurker on GCA.com and is truly a hardcore architecture nerd. He is on a five week tour of the US that started in Tampa, moved across Florida to Hilton Head, then Pinehurst, then New York, Chicago and Wisconsin. Coming up are Northern California, Bandon Dunes, and Washington State before heading back to Oz. His wife joined him in New York and is playing alongside Peter as they traverse the country. It is truly an epic golf holiday!

We were paired with them by chance at Mammoth Dunes and as we chatted walking down the first fairway Peter mentioned he was "keenly interested in golf course architecture." I asked him if he had ever heard of GCA.com and the broadest grin you can imagine appeared on his face. It turns out he "knew" Jerry and me from our participation on the site and we had lots to talk about over the next four hours.

What a small world is golf. And, what great friends we make on GCA.com.

All the best to Peter and Catherine as they discover America through some of its greatest golf courses.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 01:37:30 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Sweeney

Re: GCA Aussies At Sand Valley - Living The Dream!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:00:34 AM »
Whit,

In the continued complexities of posting Google hosted pictures, I can't see that picture.

Thanks
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 08:46:34 AM »
Fixed it  Thanks.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 10:54:37 AM »
Not fixed.

And, what a great story!  Small world indeed...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »
Jerry Kluger and I met a couple of Aussies this week at Sand Valley... Peter and Catherine Verey from Syndey.

Peter has been a longtime lurker on GCA.com and is truly a hardcore architecture nerd. He is on a five week tour of the US that started in Tampa, moved across Florida to Hilton Head, then Pinehurst, then New York, Chicago and Wisconsin. Coming up are Northern California, Bandon Dunes, and Washington State before heading back to Oz. His wife joined him in New York and is playing alongside Peter as they traverse the country. It is truly an epic golf holiday!

We were paired with them by chance at Mammoth Dunes and as we chatted walking down the first fairway Peter mentioned he was "keenly interested in golf course architecture." I asked him if he had ever heard of GCA.com and the broadest grin you can imagine appeared on his face. It turns out he "knew" Jerry and me from our participation on the site and we had lots to talk about over the next four hours.

What a small world is golf. And, what great friends we make on GCA.com.

All the best to Peter and Catherine as they discover America through some of its greatest golf courses.

Wondering around The Loop in Roscommon, MI last year trying to find the third tee on the Red Course, a kind golfing Samaritan going the other direction asked me what I was doing out there by myself.. I told him Tom Doak recommended the course since I couldn't get on the Kingsley Club that day..

He said with a smile 'You must be one of those Golf Club Atlas nerds" and handed me his spare copy of the Reversible Course Guide.  Thanks to his kind gift I managed to find myself back at the 18th green 3 hours later having played every hole in the correct order along the way.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:14:28 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
Not fixed.

And, what a great story!  Small world indeed...
Maybe now it is fixed.  ::)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 03:19:36 PM »
Fixed....at least I can see it now.

And yes very cool story!!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 05:51:30 PM »
It would be cool to get a report from the couple on their trip, after they've played all the courses. 

V_Halyard

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 10:32:58 AM »
Outstanding!
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 12:23:38 PM »
With all the golf travel you two do, I have little doubt you will eventually run into the "Pizza man"!  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back