News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

Confidential Wales: Southerndown, Porthcawl, Pennard
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:42:50 PM »
Made my first trip to Wales over the July 4th week and played Southerndown, Porthcawl, and Pennard.  I also played three courses in Surrey coming and going but will post on them separately.

My observations below.  I will also mention up front that this was a trip that was heavily influenced by both the Confidential Guide and the 147 Custodians list. 

My impressions:

Southerndown:  What a wonderful varied layout on three distinct tracts of land.  The first 6 holes play across very strongly contoured rumpled land.  The second fairway was as bumpy and wild as anything I have seen.  The middle holes play across the relatively flat plateau at the top of a large hill and the closing stretch tacks across a hillside strewn with gorse.  Played in a very heavy wind and really enjoyed how the course presented so many different looks and varied greensites.  I also really appreciated the lack of irrigation except for the greens.  The bunkering was both spartan and super interesting. 

(5th hole)

Royal Porthcawl:  Pretty much exactly what I expected.  A very good course in a great location that was both fun and challenging and interesting in an architectural sense.  The first three seaside holes give way to a really great walk across an outstanding landscape with golf holes that feel as if they have continually been improved over time.  This course really exemplifies the combination of grooming and ruggedness without contradiction.  The only thing I didn’t appreciate was that the primary rough was much too high for my taste and being more than a few yards wide of a 30 yard fairway meant a pitch forward about 80 percent of the time.  I also love it when the holes meander in some many different directions that you lose track of the wind direction just enough.  I keeping with my habit I played it twice.

(15th hole)

Pennard:  Wow.  Definitely a mind blowing links.  It was bone dry and just amazing.  Also played it twice.  If Porthcawl hits your intellect, this course touches your soul.  Also exactly what I was expecting and hoping for.  As much fun to discover as any place I have been in golf.  Several of the greens were pretty much unfair (#6 and #11) and yet still very fun and inviting.  #10 is maybe the ballsiest par five I have seen.  16 and 17 are a really great closing stretch.  If 17 doesn’t evoke some kind of strong reaction then you are not alive.  I hit two awesome drives down to like 220 and 200 from the green and layed up the first time and mustered the courage to go for it the second time and both playings were totally stirring.  I did not like the last hole when really firm.  There was no way to hit the fairway unless you laid way back and the left rough was overly penal.  I would move the fairway 10-20 yards to the right. 

(10th hole)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:48:29 PM by James Brown »

Tom_Doak

Re: Confidential Wales: Southerndown, Porthcawl, Pennard
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 02:43:21 AM »
James:  thanks for the mention.  Your trip is what the book is for.

It has been over thirty years since I played Southerndown but many holes are still quite vivid in my mind.  I'm happy to hear my review from back then is not 'outdated'.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 04:52:38 AM »
Southerndown is seriously under-rated.
Porthcawl is delightful but dare I say it, well I'm going to anyway, 'suffers' from being too immaculate. An example of a big-name links that has now become over-manicured.
Pennard is simply unique.
atb

James Brown

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
Southerndown is seriously under-rated.
Porthcawl is delightful but dare I say it, well I'm going to anyway, 'suffers' from being too immaculate. An example of a big-name links that has now become over-manicured.
Pennard is simply unique.
atb

Porthcawl didn’t feel overly manicured to me, I thought more that it stands out for its polished looks in a region where most other courses don’t have a lot of irrigation.  If you transplanted Porthcawl to East Lothian it would fit right in and it’s comparable [size=78%]in terms of production values to other courses that host big tournaments regularly in the U.K. like [/size][/size][size=78%]Castle Stuart or Gullane.  [/size]

James Brown

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 09:33:26 AM »
James:  thanks for the mention.  Your trip is what the book is for.

It has been over thirty years since I played Southerndown but many holes are still quite vivid in my mind.  I'm happy to hear my review from back then is not 'outdated'.

One course I overlooked in my planning was Ashburnham and I wished I hadn’t.   I was re-reading Harry Vardon’s Complete Golfer on the trip and had forgotten that he mentioned Ashburnham as his favorite Welsh course.  If I could have seen one more course this time I think that would have been it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 02:08:07 PM »
Porthcawl is over manicured. Could help but think my green fees were paying for much unnecessary maintenance as they mowed fairways that did not in the least need mowing.

Ashburnham was a disappointment to me. I don't know why Tom had it rated as high as he did, and mentioned a hole that was too constrained by gorse IMO as the prime hole.

I much preferred Tenby. Pennard of course was and is a must play.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 02:49:41 PM »
Some don’t care for the first couple of holes at Ashburnham but they’re okay with me. Not keen on the 16th nor the 18th though. The others are fine. The par-3 6th is a terrific hole as is the par-4 9th with its diagonal fairway bunkering and hillock covering the right front corner of the green, very challenging downwind even more so in firm conditions.
As to conditioning and manicuring etc this is a function of budget especially manpower. I doubt if Southerndown, Pennard, Ashburnham and Tenby have more than 6-7 on the maintenance crew, maybe even less, although Southerndown and Pennard do have some help with four-legged mowers. Porthcawl I believe has 11-12 greenstaff.
Atb
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:56:13 PM by Thomas Dai »

Paul Dolton

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 05:12:46 PM »
It's a great area for golf.
You have also got Pyle with its very good back nine.
Clyne as well is worth a look
Southerdown's 18th is a particular favourite with the split fairway.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »
That is a great threesome. I played all three on a Wales trip about ten years ago. All very good and all very different from each other. Lots of sheep at Southerndown. Wales has some very good golf and wonderful people.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 10:10:59 PM »
Southerndown was rough and tumble fun. Royal Porthcawl is world class par fours. Pennard is a whacked out walk on the moon. ( I think Dave Staebler told me it was golf on the moon. He may have been quoting someone else).
AKA Mayday

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 08:31:30 AM »
Returned to Pyle and Kenfig recently. Very pleased to do so. Course conditions were very fine. Firm and fast and bouncy, ie proper golf! The greens, which are rather large, weren't mega-quick to putt on but then again when the wind gets up or things really dry out there'd be playability issues if they were.
The usually more praised Back-9 was as spectacular and challenging as ever - now with a few sandy areas 'opened-up' although apparently for environmental regeneration rather than just golf reasons - but it was the Front-9 that impressed me.
Weaving up and over over the slight hill and with my favourite gorse in places it may not be as spectacular as the much praised Back-9 but jeez, there's a bunch of good golf and architecture on it.
The Front-9 is a bit of a sleeper imo, being generally pretty sneaky and cunning with fine use of the natural slopes, humps and hollows and angles. The bunkers, both fairway and greenside, are deep, significantly deep, and the way the surrounding terrain gathers balls into them from quite a distance away makes them best avoided.
If P&K were just a 9-hole course and that 9-holes were just the present Front-9 I'd be happy to be a member.
I'd still glance over the road towards the sea and wonder 'what if' but don't denigrate the Front-9 just because of what's over the road, the Front-9 deserves more respect than that.
Photos posted below.
atb

Below - par-3 4th as seen from near the 5th tee. The hole plays-in from the left of photo and is of the knob-to-knob kind. It's Colt!

Below - front left-hand bunker on the par-3 4th. The bunkers are best avoided!

Below - the dogleg right par-4 13th as seen from behind the green.

Below - the par-5 11th as seen from circa 150 yds from the green

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 02:01:28 AM »
Returned to Pyle and Kenfig recently. Very pleased to do so. Course conditions were very fine. Firm and fast and bouncy, ie proper golf! The greens, which are rather large, weren't mega-quick to putt on but then again when the wind gets up or things really dry out there'd be playability issues if they were.
The usually more praised Back-9 was as spectacular and challenging as ever - now with a few sandy areas 'opened-up' although apparently for environmental regeneration rather than just golf reasons - but it was the Front-9 that impressed me.
Weaving up and over over the slight hill and with my favourite gorse in places it may not be as spectacular as the much praised Back-9 but jeez, there's a bunch of good golf and architecture on it.
The Front-9 is a bit of a sleeper imo, being generally pretty sneaky and cunning with fine use of the natural slopes, humps and hollows and angles. The bunkers, both fairway and greenside, are deep, significantly deep, and the way the surrounding terrain gathers balls into them from quite a distance away makes them best avoided.
If P&K were just a 9-hole course and that 9-holes were just the present Front-9 I'd be happy to be a member.
I'd still glance over the road towards the sea and wonder 'what if' but don't denigrate the Front-9 just because of what's over the road, the Front-9 deserves more respect than that.
Photos posted below.
atb

Below - par-3 4th as seen from near the 5th tee. The hole plays-in from the left of photo and is of the knob-to-knob kind. It's Colt!

Below - front left-hand bunker on the par-3 4th. The bunkers are best avoided!

Below - the dogleg right par-4 13th as seen from behind the green.

Below - the par-5 11th as seen from circa 150 yds from the green

Really liked Pyle and Kenfig - I preferred the design of the Colt front nine however the Dunes across the road its more visually stunning and the McKenzie Ross greens are quite flattish. Pity the club did not build a full 18 holes in the Dunes land (there are about 15 on there at the moment correct me if I am wrong) and kept the Colt front nine standalone

Cheers
Ben

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 07:45:13 PM »
It's a great area for golf.
You have also got Pyle with its very good back nine.
Clyne as well is worth a look
Southerdown's 18th is a particular favourite with the split fairway.

That hole (18) broke my heart twice.
A very difficult elevated tee shot in a stiff left to right wind.
The gorse at Southerndown combined with firm lively turf and wind can bleach one's knuckles..
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back