News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Grant Spaeth RIP
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:15:39 PM »

Former USGA president Grant Spaeth passed away today. He was a legend at Stanford University, San Francisco Golf Club, the R&A and of course the USGA.

Reading his interview from 2008, the issues he dealt with are significant and historical. The Shoal Creek race issue, lawsuits from the equipment companies and the ball issue.

It's a fascinating read.
https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/interviewspaeth

Pete_Pittock

Re: Grant Spaeth RIP
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 02:18:05 AM »
Very nice gentleman. Had the pleasure of his company playing the Stanford course. He had some interesting stories to tell.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 03:43:44 AM »

Former USGA president Grant Spaeth passed away today. He was a legend at Stanford University, San Francisco Golf Club, the R&A and of course the USGA.

Reading his interview from 2008, the issues he dealt with are significant and historical. The Shoal Creek race issue, lawsuits from the equipment companies and the ball issue.

It's a fascinating read.
https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/interviewspaeth

Sad news.

JohnVDB

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 08:15:09 AM »
Very nice gentleman. Had the pleasure of his company playing the Stanford course. He had some interesting stories to tell.

Peter,

I think I remember that day. He was a great guy.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »
I recall watching him on various "Hooked on Golf" episodes that showed in Northern California.  His comments were smart and witty and he had plenty of personality.  Seemed like the kind of guy I would have enjoyed a post-round drink and chat with.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:01:54 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 12:56:16 PM »
Briefly, my Dad knew Grant Spaeth.  They spent time together at Stanford Golf Course member and greens committee meetings.  Mr. Spaeth said some nice things to me at my Dad's memorial service.  He was like a lot of these Stanford guys: down to earth, talented and unpretentious.

Spaeth's golf team won the NCAA championship in 1953; one of my Dad's best friends at the club, Art Schroeder, played on that team.

http://www.stanfordmensgolf.org/ncaaChamp1953.htm?

In one conversation I remember, Grant was telling me how much he liked my Dad, and then he started talking about how sensitive Dad was to any motion whatsoever in his field of vision while preparing to swing.  I responded, "Yeah, Dad's got rabbit eyes."

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:32:18 PM by John Kirk »

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »

My Dad knew Grant Spaeth.  They spent time together at Stanford Golf Course member and greens committee meetings.  Mr. Spaeth said some kind words for Pop at the memorial service at the golf course. 

He was like a lot of these Stanford guys: down to earth, talented and unpretentious.  Spaeth's golf team won the NCAA championship in 1953; one of my Dad's best friends at the club, Art Schroeder, played on that team.

In one conversation I remember, Grant was telling me how much he liked my Dad, and then he started talking about how sensitive Dad was to any motion whatsoever in his field of vision while preparing to swing.  I responded, "Yeah, Dad's got rabbit eyes."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:59:53 PM by John Kirk »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 03:26:14 PM »

My Dad knew Grant Spaeth.  They spent time together at Stanford Golf Course member and greens committee meetings.  Mr. Spaeth said some kind words for Pop at the memorial service at the golf course. 

He was like a lot of these Stanford guys: down to earth, talented and unpretentious.  Spaeth's golf team won the NCAA championship in 1953; one of my Dad's best friends at the club, Art Schroeder, played on that team.

John,

Hearing some famous person talk about one’s father doesn’t happen very often, but when it does happen, it is is certainly memorable. In my case, it was a conversation with Ernie Ransome (John Arthur Brown’s successor at Pine Valley) and his wife. They both talked about how much they liked my father, who, by the way, wasn’t a very good golfer.

So why did Ernie like my Dad so much? Well, Ernie’s wife explained for him. “Every time the phone rings, it is someone asking for access to Pine Valley. But your father is an exception......instead your father calls up asking for money”. Ernie she said, actually really liked that. He and my Dad were classmates at Princeton and both loved the school. Amazingly, fundraising calls from my Dad were a welcome change for Ernie!

Now, if you are wondering if I ever took advantage of this connection to play Pine Valley, yes I did. Ernie had invited my Dad to play with him on their 50th Princeton Reunion. Dad asked Ernie if I could play in his place and Ernie very kindly said yes. It probably didn’t hurt that I was also a Princeton grad.
Tim Weiman

John Kirk

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »
Hi Tim,
Although I knew Spaeth was a former USGA President, I didn't regard him as "famous".  Whether it's Stanford or Princeton, almost everybody who works there or went there is a pretty remarkable person.  Lots of famous people everywhere.  I think the two of them probably got along because they had a fair amount in common (jocks of a similar age), and agreed on a lot of things.

I am nearly certain he never asked for an invitation to San Francisco GC, though he may have played there as Grant's guest.  He played there once or twice, and one round was memorable because of his caddie experience.  This would have been sometime between about 1985 and 1995.  Dad rarely if ever used a caddie; it's not a common experience in the Bay Area.  After just two or three holes, he decides the caddie knows what he's doing, and tells him, "OK, you've seen me play a couple holes.  Just club me the rest of the way."  He shot 76.

I once took advantage of this connection to play San Francisco GC a second and possibly final time.  Three of the pros at Stone Eagle GC were heading there to play, and I wanted to join them since I was heading in that direction.  But the club wouldn't let them add me as a fourth, so I either called or wrote Grant, and he set it up.  This was probably 2009 or so.  In retrospect I wish I hadn't asked, because I have developed a distaste for seeking access to golf courses.  I've asked a few favors in my life, maybe 10-20 times, all within a few years of intensive golf course "study".  I gave that up for good about ten years ago.  If somebody wants to invite me to their club, they will ask.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 11:49:13 PM »
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/07/past-usga-president-c--grant-spaeth-dies-at-88.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organicsocial&utm_campaign=grantspaeth

The USGA had a nice write up today. I didn't know he created the mens and women's US mid amateur. 

I was lucky enough to play with him and Sandy Tatum once at TPC Stonebrae. Those two heckled each other like teenagers.

On an uphill par 5, i had couldn't decide what to hit for my third shot because I didn't know the yardage. Grant was busting my chops saying "you must really be good to want to know the exact yardage". I took my time and hit a nice shot. When we reached the green we found my ball in the hole for an eagle. I spent the rest of the day reminding Grant how good I was.

Grant like Stonebrae and tried to use the ground game on just about any shot he could. I finally asked him about it and he said that's how he learned the game.

I hadn't talked with him in a few years, mainly after he had a stroke. He's going to be missed.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 12:27:15 AM »
from Joel, resized with link to article

The USGA had a nice write up today. I didn't know he created the mens and women's US mid amateur. 

I was lucky enough to play with him and Sandy Tatum once at TPC Stonebrae. Those two heckled each other like teenagers.

On an uphill par 5, i had couldn't decide what to hit for my third shot because I didn't know the yardage. Grant was busting my chops saying "you must really be good to want to know the exact yardage". I took my time and hit a nice shot. When we reached the green we found my ball in the hole for an eagle. I spent the rest of the day reminding Grant how good I was.

Grant like Stonebrae and tried to use the ground game on just about any shot he could. I finally asked him about it and he said that's how he learned the game.
I hadn't talked with him in a few years, mainly after he had a stroke. He's going to be missed.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/07/past-usga-president-c--grant-spaeth-dies-at-88.html#returnable
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:32:40 AM by Pete_Pittock »

David_Tepper

Dale Jackson

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 04:20:28 PM »
I have long admired Mr. Spaeth, as I did and do many from that era.

I met him once, it was the 2013 Open at Muirfield.  I was there as a referee and as I finished the first round round with my group on 18 a gentleman working as a marshal chatted with me a bit.  I noticed the name on his credentials.  If not for that and his American accent, I would have thought he was a volunteer from a nearby club.  He was gracious and friendly, and I ran into him after the each round.  Golf's great loss.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
Just a classy, erudite gentleman whose love and reverence for the game was absolutely pure. Grant had that rare quality of being an authentic legend without a trace of pretense - and was equally gracious and kind to Joe Shmoe public golfer as he was to his peers. 

Rob Marshall

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »
Mr Spaeth, just got a nice mention by Jim Nance.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 04:19:43 PM »
Grant was a gentleman, and also fun to be with. About 25 years ago he was consulting with a Japanese owner who had acquired Scottsdale Country Club (now known as Starfire). The owner, Mr. Oto, had arrived from Japan via Los Angeles and came late to the course. He apparently did not get any sleep on the flights. I had never met Mr. Oto, who stood all of 4-ft., 10-in. Mr. Oto spoke no English, at least that I could tell. Grant, being kind and wanting me to get to know Mr. Oto, suggested that I take Mr. Oto in my golf cart.

This is where it got funny.

Every so often Mr. Oto would exclaim something, point, etc.  I would stop and Grant — bless him — would do his best to translate. All to no avail. It was hopeless, yet we continued on. At one hole we got out and I pointed to a bunker and made a gesture across my throat — as if we were going to kill it. Mr. Oto was very pleased at this and nodded that, he too, liked getting rid of the bunker. So off we went.

Then it happened. I swung to the left to meet up with a cart path and Mr. Oto — who had fallen fast asleep unbeknownst to me — started to fall out of the cart ... while yelling some profanities in Japanese. Fortunately I caught Mr. Oto by the arm just as he was falling backwards over the short cart armrest. When we stopped, I could tell he literally had no clue where he was — or who I was.

Grant was laughing his head off. Soon we were all laughing as Grant made his way to Mr. Oto, who by this time was wide awake. It took four more holes before Grant stopped laughing, but he never let Mr. Oto see him!

Later, Grant gave me some sage advice — "Forrest, it's never a good plan to kill the owner, especially before he pays the bill...remember that."

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:21:41 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back