News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

16 at Portrush and 5 at Pine Valley
« on: July 17, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »
I remember standing on the tee at Calamity Corner at Portrush and literally being terrified at hitting my tee shot. The valley to the right looks like a huge magnet. Standing on that tee I immediately thought of number five at Pine Valley. There are bunkers and trees to the right of the green at PV but the same deep chasm that caught Gene Littler on Wide World of Golf. Both are 230 yards from the back tees. Not sure what the lengths were originally. I know they added a back tee at RP and it seems that the back tee at PV has always been there.  Like I do at PV I hit my tee shot to the left front of the green. Harry Colt had a hand in both courses. Did one inspire the other? Are there others that are similar on his courses?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:41:37 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Lawrence

Re: 16 at Portrush and 5 at Pine Valley
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »
I remember standing on the tee at Calamity Corner at Portrush and literally being terrified at hitting my tee shot. The valley to the right looks like a huge magnet. Standing on that tee I immediately thought of number five at Pine Valley. There are bunkers and trees to the right of the green at PV but the same deep chasm that caught Gene Littler on Wide World of Golf. Both are 230 yards from the back tees. Not sure what the lengths were originally. I know they added a back tee at RP and it seems that the back tee at PV has always been there.  Like I do at PV I hit my tee shot to the left front of the green. Harry Colt had a hand in both courses. Did one inspire the other? Are there others that are similar on his courses?

Calamity is 240-odd now!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back