News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Maybe OT - A good look at the Renaissance Club
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »
Weather seems to be in favour of the players today, rain overnight and not much wind.
Really enjoying watching this.
The design of the green complexes appears to be providing a nice variety of short game shots some of which are highlighting just how good these guys short games and imagination are when they really need it to be.
Tom D spent some time in the Sky commentary box this afternoon. Nice anecdotes, explanations and insights as ever.
Atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
Looks like only 10 Americans are in the field. That is disappointing.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

James Brown

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 01:06:01 PM »
Nae wind, nae rain, nae golf.

I noticed there was a Doak from Scotland in the field as well.

I smiled big when I got an automated message from Tom Doak this morning about the Scottish Open.  Glad this all happening. 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »
I’ve just turned this on. Looks like they’ve changed the sequencing of the routing?

Bill Crane

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 01:22:29 PM »
Love the walls that are prominent on the course - reminiscent of North Berwick. 
Tom Doak mentions the walls at N B in one of the videos on Renaissance Club website.
Wish I could play it in 2 weeks when I will be there, but already have times at Prestwick, G1 and NB West.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 01:23:59 PM »
I’ve just turned this on. Looks like they’ve changed the sequencing of the routing?

Yea they are using #7 as the #1 hole...

Then when they reach 15 as the 9th hole, they go to #1 as the 10th hole and back to 16 after playing the short par 3...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 02:41:09 PM »
P.S. I really enjoyed seeing all the little early morning/evening loops if you only got an hour or two.

1-2
1-4-5
3-5
1-5
16-18
16, 14, 15
6,16-18

Very cool.  First thing that came to mind with the overhead shots near the clubhouse, Valley Club of Montecito ...

Buck Wolter

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

James Boon

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 05:52:06 AM »

Yea they are using #7 as the #1 hole...

Then when they reach 15 as the 9th hole, they go to #1 as the 10th hole and back to 16 after playing the short par 3...
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rob Marshall

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 08:35:45 AM »
Why is the rough/fescue wrapped around the bunkers in the fairways? I noticed it this morning on holes 6 and 7. Not the normal British open look of balls running, catching the slope and finishing in a fairway bunker.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Bernie Bell

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »
Course looks terrific on TV.  Does it offend some folks' sensibilities in the way that Kingsbarns does?  if not, why not?  Because it's private?  Both Doak 7s, per Mr. Doak.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »
Who is this Renae Sance they keep talking about? Someone should teach these guys how to speak English. ;)

For a couple of guys that live on an island, they act like they have never seen a coastline before. Can you imagine what would happen if they went to Corwall? They'd probably ditch the clubs and go hike the coast path.

Having played over 50 links, it is really distracting to see all the trees. I have to wonder if half the course is protected from the wind by the trees.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2019, 11:53:14 AM »
Bumping this thread as the Ladies Scottish Open is being played at the Renaissance Club at the moment and is being shown on Sky TV in the U.K. Hopefully it’ll be viewable elsewhere too.
I wonder if or to what extent the set-up, length and conditions maybe apart, is different to when the men played there a few weeks ago.

Atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2020, 07:35:10 AM »
Bumping this thread as the Ladies Scottish Open is being played at the Renaissance Club at the moment and is being shown on Sky TV in the U.K. Hopefully it’ll be viewable elsewhere too.
I wonder if or to what extent the set-up, length and conditions maybe apart, is different to when the men played there a few weeks ago.
Atb

Posted this 12 months ago but now relevant once again.

The ladies are currently back at Renaissance.

Thoughts and observations as to set-up and conditioning and changes since last year?

Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2020, 01:02:01 PM »
Congrats to Stacy Lewis who won the tournament with a birdie on the 18th in the first hole of a four-woman playoff.

Her game is made for links golf, and she knows it.'

Incidentally, in more normal Scottish weather, the four leaders tied at 5-under, instead of the 20-under score 🤣 that won it last year.

Paul Jones

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
I woke up this morning and watching it before going to play.  It is now on my list of courses to play in Scotland.  It looked really good on TV.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

David Jones

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2020, 05:04:20 PM »
Congrats to Stacy Lewis who won the tournament with a birdie on the 18th in the first hole of a four-woman playoff.

Her game is made for links golf, and she knows it.'

Incidentally, in more normal Scottish weather, the four leaders tied at 5-under, instead of the 20-under score 🤣 that won it last year.

I played next door at Archerfield today and there was virtually no wind (one club maybe) and the course was relatively soft given the rain we’ve had the last 3 weeks. Looks like they’ve put the tees back, tightened the fairway and grown the rough. The players seemed to approve!!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2020, 05:16:00 PM »
Does anyone know how the American players got into Scotland?  I doubt that they suffered through a strict 14-day quarantine after arriving.   Is there a plan B for normal folk? 

The course looked great.  It probably suffers for being compared to its famous neighbor.  Watching the women play the back nine made the course look relatively easy.  I played it in mixed weather last year and felt its teeth.  It is a course with a lot of variety and beauty.  I look forward to returning. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2020, 05:30:29 PM »
Lou -

Your question was asked and answered (by Bernie Bell) on another thread:

Quote from: Thomas Dai on August 14, 2020, 01:17:26 PM<blockquote>Watching the ladies from Renaissance and noticed that quite a few non-UK based ladies are participating.
Anyone happen to know what their protocol situation is given the 14 day self quarantine that I thought was presently in place for folks coming to the UK from quite a few countries. Are there maybe some kind of special arrangements in place covering travel, testing, on-site ‘pods’ etc?
Just curious.
Atb
</blockquote>

Scotland has put in an exemption for elite cross-border competition, and I believe this tournament and Open at Troon fall within it.

DT

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/elite-sport-return-to-cross-border-competition-guidance
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:34:54 PM by David_Tepper »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2020, 06:19:53 PM »
Thanks David.  Missed the other thread.  Don't suppose that a 5.1 index for the Captain's weekend matches in October qualifies.

I did notice considerable advertising in the telecast for Scotland golf travel.  They must be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Daryl David

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2020, 08:04:05 PM »
Thanks David.  Missed the other thread.  Don't suppose that a 5.1 index for the Captain's weekend matches in October qualifies.

I did notice considerable advertising in the telecast for Scotland golf travel.  They must be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I doubt it is a case of light at the end of the tunnel. More likely previously purchased ad buys that run no matter what is going on this weekend.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2020, 03:30:31 PM »
Don't know how long this will be up for but here's the weekends final round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfUBJsOEEXk&t=1994s

I would watch a lot more golf on TV if it was as interesting as this. Running balls on to greens, putts across several levels, imaginative chips.   Whats not to like?

(A The pace of play. Either use FF or catch up with lots of other things at the same time!)

Hope itd this dry and firm when the Men play it this October.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2020, 03:48:52 PM »
Maybe struggling as I saw they layed off their director of memberships who had been there since they opened 11 years ago.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »
Maybe struggling as I saw they layed off their director of memberships who had been there since they opened 11 years ago.

I hadn't heard that, but did they replace him or just lay him off?  Seems like a tough time to sell exclusive memberships- especially when the American half of the membership can't visit without a two week quarantine!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back