News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: If Your Book is Overdue: the Postal Service
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 10:12:20 AM »
Yeah, when you own the copyright for a book, you generally keep close tabs on the PDF file.  Not that I don't trust you, Ian.

We spoke to our lical postal manager yesterday and apparently USPS jas instituted a two week quarantine for all packages traveling internationally, because of the virus.  Funnily enough, though, the government has not made a similar rule for FedEx or other companies.

I get that and I did not really mean that you would send a PDF but rather send a secure digital file. Security concerns would be valid.

“Golf Course Architecture”, as an example, uses an app called “PocketMags” and both the delivery and the reading works very well.

Stead of backing up a truck to TC with hundreds of books then mailing them globally, you would have the option to simply “push out” the content to subscribers.

Sure, it’s nice to have books on the shelves in your golf library at home. But also nice to have everyone of your books with hi res graphics all in one place on a digital,device.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 01:45:48 PM »
Yeah, when you own the copyright for a book, you generally keep close tabs on the PDF file.  Not that I don't trust you, Ian.

We spoke to our lical postal manager yesterday and apparently USPS jas instituted a two week quarantine for all packages traveling internationally, because of the virus.  Funnily enough, though, the government has not made a similar rule for FedEx or other companies.

I get that and I did not really mean that you would send a PDF but rather send a secure digital file. Security concerns would be valid.

“Golf Course Architecture”, as an example, uses an app called “PocketMags” and both the delivery and the reading works very well.

Stead of backing up a truck to TC with hundreds of books then mailing them globally, you would have the option to simply “push out” the content to subscribers.

Sure, it’s nice to have books on the shelves in your golf library at home. But also nice to have everyone of your books with hi res graphics all in one place on a digital,device.

Is anyone in the book business actually doing that, that you know of?

Shipping them around the world is just crazy at modern prices for delivery, but I am not familiar with any system that's secure enough that a publisher would really consider it.

(Magazines are different entirely -- because they're low price to start with, and because they can deliver their advertising as part of the package.)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 02:29:20 PM »
... Is indeed a mess.

I've had many inquiries this week from overseas customers for my book wondering where theirs has gone.  All of the international books were shipped USPS, so yesterday we found the tracking numbers to see what was up.

We found that books mailed in late July had been delivered to Chicago the next day and then sat there for three weeks! They are supposedly on their way overseas now, if you believe them.  I'm not sure I should.

The other solution is FedEx, but we are never quite sure what they will charge in the end . . . on Tuesday I got a bill for the book i had shipped to India . . . $540 for one book seems steep.

Tom - I'm having a similar experience.  The Rating Game, which is about a tenth the size of your book, is taking 2-3 months to get delivered to some (including Canada) international countries.  A friend in Copenhagen ordered the book from me in early June and it still hasn't arrived.

David_Elvins

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2020, 05:16:53 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 06:42:10 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 11:43:55 AM »

Is anyone in the book business actually doing that, that you know of?

Shipping them around the world is just crazy at modern prices for delivery, but I am not familiar with any system that's secure enough that a publisher would really consider it.

(Magazines are different entirely -- because they're low price to start with, and because they can deliver their advertising as part of the package.)

Besides Amazon and Apple...?...;-)... :o ;D

Tom -

This is one APP that seems to work well:

https://issuu.com/offers/flipbook?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&utm_term=issuu&utm_sitelink={sitelink}&gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSO8JgnyYf9iVUDwwZpLPq9o9F6BClMpnWv5YC8un8JjcA7DaANhOFfhoClV4QAvD_BwE

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back