News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

corey miller

Fenway
« on: August 27, 2019, 02:12:23 PM »

Came away quite impressed with the new/continuing work at Fenway.  Greens expansions but more importantly tree work that changes the "feel" of the course for the mid-range handicap.  Perhaps an overused term but the round is more fun with arguably (I would like to see #14 opened up a little especially on the right mound area which I assume remain for safety) no trees that influence play.

That said Fenway "champion" Dr. Childs did consider a branch on #17 for his lefty hook a little close to some hole positions.

The course itself is still incredibly hard to score on with a few long 3's and great variety on the 4"s.  Very difficult test around the greens. 

Love the short right "kicker" mound on #13 which I suspect is one of the few areas Gil has taken artistic license.  This feature really works.

With both #3 (one of best Tillie par 5's) and the wonderful short 4 #15 Fenway has a lot to offer.

Kudos to the club for finishing the work....So much great work in Westchester (including not oft mentioned Sunningdale), not sure the extent to which it reshuffles the deck but much finer golf experiences for all.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:40:54 PM by corey miller »

John Kavanaugh

Re: Fenway
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 06:27:30 PM »
I can see where an old rater would think that every pin position should be accessible for whatever his preferred shot shape may be. Pity indeed.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 06:41:33 PM »
For some pics and a review of the Pre Gil Hanse version of the  course...take a look

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/fenway-golf-club/

Sorry I missed Fenway during my excursion awhile ago into Westchester County when I visited and played Quaker Ridge, Sunningdale and Metropolis.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »
Tim Martin and I played Fenway last October. I was blown away by the course and am still shocked that somewhere so good can be overlooked because of its nearby neighboring courses.

I could play Fenway every day and never get bored.

Kevin Neary

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
Played Fenway a month or two ago and absolutely loved it. Great green complexes and a wonderful variety of holes that keep you engaged through the round. Definitely a track that’s gettable for high handicappers, but tough to break par on for the sticks.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »
I really enjoyed my visit to Fenway in June of 2015.

Photos:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Fenway/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

corey miller

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 11:49:04 AM »

Joe B.

Obviously Fenway has a thoughtful hand guiding them but the change from 2015 to 2019 is really phenomenal.  I would describe most all the work "detail" and it is often the stuff at clubs that never gets done though in the context of a restoration is perhaps the least expensive.

You need to photograph the "new" Fenway. ;D

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 04:23:33 PM »
Corey,

Please contrast Fenway to Quaker Ridge.  Little resemblance to WF-W, right?

Good to hear that Geoff is still around.  I think that Fenway was the last course we played together, well before the renovations started.  Lot of fun even then.  And good showers too.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Eric LeFante

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »
Corey,

Please contrast Fenway to Quaker Ridge.  Little resemblance to WF-W, right?

Good to hear that Geoff is still around.  I think that Fenway was the last course we played together, well before the renovations started.  Lot of fun even then.  And good showers too.

Lou,

I agree that Fenway to Quaker is similar to WF East and West. Fenway is easier than Quaker but the land has more movement than Quaker and the greens may have more undulation in them. I've often thought about why Fenway isn't rated as well as Quaker. It's not that easy to answer.

corey miller

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 03:13:44 PM »

I have not played Quaker Ridge....

What makes Quaker Ridge that much harder than Fenway? So hard I guess that WFW and WFE are the course comparators, realizing that the whole exercise is based on locale.

Fenway is par 70 and a place where strokes slip away in a heartbeat with the complex greens. 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »
Well, Corey, I find it incredible that you have never played Quaker Ridge.  On the other hand, I've not played Sleepy Hollow, so maybe one of these days!

Tillie was not known for a particular, noticeable style.  I've played some of his designs and these ranged from the club courses most of us prefer (Fenway, Brook Hollow, Golden Valley, Oak Hill in San Antonio) to what I consider the ultimate ball-buster, Winged Foot-West, and to a lesser degree, Bethpage-Black.  Quaker Ridge and San Francisco GC seemed to fall in between, capable of holding important tournaments short of men's Tour level.

My impression of Fenway well before the noted changes was favorable.  It is a course which would challenge my game and keep my interest for the rest of my golfing life.  There seems to be an abundance of those in your part of the country.

corey miller

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »

Lou

I obviously do not get out enough though I will concede the "curse" of the rating culture is that people would come to Westchester and seek out only WF and QR.  Now Sleepy Hollow seems to be on the "list" as well as Hudson National though truth be told the latter  leaves me rather cold.

For many years every club in this area sought to "be like Winged foot" which was clearly perceived as the most desirable.   I had no interest in playing somewhere else, or another 18 holes of "like winged foot" but arguably not as sophisticated.

Now with guys like Devries and Hanse and Ian Andrew working/restoring in this area the courses (Sleepy Hollow, Whipporwill, Siwanoy, Sunningdale, Quaker Ridge,Fenway, Wykagyl, Knollwood) are not only better but they have started to take on their own identity and they are all MUCH better for that.  No club was going to "compete" with winged foot by attempting to match Winged foot.

Winged Foot (both courses) is as good as it has been in my lifetime but I would argue that each of the others are as well and the quality is so high that it is not unreasonable that people would more seek out the others.

I am certainly biased, I expended a lot of effort in trying to make Sleepy as good as it can be (still things I would like Gil to "look at") and it is totally different than Winged Foot stylistically.  And for me, that carries the day, but there are now a few others that are also now different than WF (in varying degrees) and that is a good thing and doesn't necessarily make the last half century "ratings" as locked in as they used to be. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 09:36:42 AM »

Winged Foot (both courses) is as good as it has been in my lifetime but I would argue that each of the others are as well and the quality is so high that it is not unreasonable that people would more seek out the others.

The above is quite the observation. One of the finest classic championship courses of all time is at it’s very best today despite all the advances in technology. That must give the alliance indigestion.

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 10:33:42 AM »

Lou

I obviously do not get out enough though I will concede the "curse" of the rating culture is that people would come to Westchester and seek out only WF and QR.  Now Sleepy Hollow seems to be on the "list" as well as Hudson National though truth be told the latter  leaves me rather cold.

For many years every club in this area sought to "be like Winged foot" which was clearly perceived as the most desirable.   I had no interest in playing somewhere else, or another 18 holes of "like winged foot" but arguably not as sophisticated.

Now with guys like Devries and Hanse and Ian Andrew working/restoring in this area the courses (Sleepy Hollow, Whipporwill, Siwanoy, Sunningdale, Quaker Ridge,Fenway, Wykagyl, Knollwood) are not only better but they have started to take on their own identity and they are all MUCH better for that.  No club was going to "compete" with winged foot by attempting to match Winged foot.

I am certainly biased, I expended a lot of effort in trying to make Sleepy as good as it can be (still things I would like Gil to "look at") and it is totally different than Winged Foot stylistically.  And for me, that carries the day, but there are now a few others that are also now different than WF (in varying degrees) and that is a good thing and doesn't necessarily make the last half century "ratings" as locked in as they used to be.

Well said.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Bernie Bell

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »
Ratings are overrated

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »
Both courses at Winged Foot and also Quaker Ridge are way up there but I think day in and day out Fenway would be the most fun to play with Winged Foot East just behind. Of the four courses mentioned I like the 285 opener at Fenway the best and think it also has the best land overall. What happened with the land dispute with the hole on the outward nine at Quaker Ridge?

Mark_F

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 01:28:10 AM »
One of the finest classic championship courses of all time is at it’s very best today despite all the advances in technology. That must give the alliance indigestion.
I think they are so convinced of the infallibility of their position, John, it's much more likely to be a blockage at the other end.

Eric LeFante

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »
Both courses at Winged Foot and also Quaker Ridge are way up there but I think day in and day out Fenway would be the most fun to play with Winged Foot East just behind. Of the four courses mentioned I like the 285 opener at Fenway the best and think it also has the best land overall. What happened with the land dispute with the hole on the outward nine at Quaker Ridge?

The fairway has been moved 15 yards to the left, a large tree was moved in the right rough to try to block poor drives drives from going into the houses, new trees were planted, and netting was put up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back