News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Emerson

Re: Scotland - 2nd trip
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 10:27:33 PM »

David,
Yes my friend already tried for muirfield and it wasn’t available on our dates.  It’s unfortunate, but I’m happy just being there (Scotland).  I want to play them all but it’s not reality so we are just going to go with what we got and maybe squeeze in an extra 18 here or there.  I have zero doubt I’ll be back for another trip in the near future :)

I am ridiculously excited for my first in late May ‘19!!May 16-PrestwickMay 17-”Prestwick Experience”May 18-Castle CourseMay 19-carnoustieMay 20-TOCMay 21-North Berwick & MusselburghMay 22-kingsbarns May 23-CrailMay 24-Cruden BayMay 25-TOCThinking of fitting in Western Gailes for a 36 holes day on the 17th.  I think 2 36 hole days over ten days is about right.  Don’t wanna beat myself to a pulp and not enjoy it.  Either way I have been dreaming of this trip for over a decade, and we are finally doing it.  It’s much cheaper than I ever anticipated.  My buddy putting the trip together has been 2 other times so he’s got a handle on how to make it all work.  I’m sure I’ll blow the message board up with posts during and after my trip.  Sorry In advance ;)

John,

Looks like a very nice schedule.

I understand why you might be looking at Western Gailes for the 17th given you’re already playing Prestwick on the 16th. Western is very good and would be a worthwhile addition to your itinerary. I played it for the first time last year and had a great day although the rough was particularly brutal in some parts (losing balls a few yards off the fairways on a couple of ocassions) so you may not want to play 36 if it’s still like that! Although Prestwick is certainly a fantastic course you’d never tire of playing so it would be win-win whatever you end up doing on those first couple of days.

I appreciate it’s your buddy arranging the trip but as you’ll be spending the majority of the trip on the East coast the only real omission I can see is Muirfield (he may already have looked into this). You probably already know all this but visitors can only play there on Tuesday and Thursday so there are limited opportunities to get a game whilst you’re over. Are you flying into Glasgow/Prestwick? If so I assume the 16th would be out and you’d only really have the 21st/23rd as possibilities. A quick look at Muirfield’s availability calendar shows there are no tee times left on either date however I’d recommend your friend keeps an eye out for a time becoming available. One probably isn’t likely to come up as they get booked well in advance but it’s a wonderful experience to play there and have lunch etc so if you can somehow get a time through a cancellation it’d be well worth the effort to reschedule to fit it in if possible.

“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

MClutterbuck

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »
After 2 trips of Scotland, 19 courses, 360 holes and tons of fun, I wanted to share my controversial guide of what courses to play, based purely on my subjective experience that includes architectural values, fun, wow factor, history, more fun and a small value factor:

1The Old Course
2Turnberry - Ailsa
3HCEG - Muirfield
4Cruden Bay
5Royal Dornoch
6North Berwick West Links
7Carnoustie
8Royal Troon
9Prestwick
10Brora
11Castle Stuart
12Royal Aberdeen
13The Castle Course
14Gullane
15The Golf House Club, Elie
16Western Gailes
17Kingsbarns
18New Course
19Dundonald Links

Based on my criteria, all of the top 18 courses I listed, all well worth it! The 19th is an ok course but does not belong on a Scotland trip when you come from abroad.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 07:08:21 PM »
Top 18?  I spose most lists wouldn't look too differently from yours. 

The courses I would be keen to see again

North Berwick
Dornoch
The New Course
The Old Course
Elie
Cruden Bay
Eden
Prestwick
Machrihanish
Dunbar
Kilspindie
Crail

Rounding out the 18 with great courses which aren't really favourites

Castle Stuart
Gleneagles Kings
Royal Aberdeen
Renaissance
Trump Aberdeen
Muirfield

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 10:01:15 AM »
MC

What do you think is controversial about your list ? All very nice courses.

Niall

MClutterbuck

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2019, 01:14:15 PM »
MC

What do you think is controversial about your list ? All very nice courses.

Niall

I used the word controversial, because I based this list on fun, and other factors such as value for money. I think the order might be controversial for some, with a few courses on the list normally getting a higher position (e.g Kingsbarns).

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »
MC

I hear what you say although I think all the courses are of enough quality, even if some aren't mine or your favourites, that whatever order you come up with could be justified.

I also tend to agree with your thoughts on Dundonald although I wouldn't say it was a bad course.

Niall

MClutterbuck

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2019, 01:32:33 PM »
Dundonald is a perfectly fine golf course. I would play it again if it were close to home and I can understand anybody living in Glasgow playing it. In fact it was a good option for us to tee off at 6pm and ride a Buggy on our second 18 that day.

The course could have been in Florida, the Carolinas, or Buenos Aires. It is not a links course, does not play like links. I would never recommend it to anybody far from Glasgow/Prestwick.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »
So MC, what courses are on your list for your 3rd Scottish Trip? :)
Or will you venture to England, Wales or Ireland instead?

Terrific effort to journey all that way twice by the way. I've looked at doing the same trip in reverse. Interesting logistics.

atb
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:11:32 PM by Thomas Dai »

MClutterbuck

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2019, 09:22:24 AM »
Thomas, I am afraid this covers Scotland for now. Third trip Ireland, in its initial planning stage.

Fourth trip England.

Both might be more driving than either Scotland trip, I am afraid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back