News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike A.

Pinetree
« on: October 27, 2003, 11:59:44 AM »
I am playing Pinetree in Florida next week.  Any comments from those who have played it?

CHC1948

Re:Pinetree
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 12:18:34 PM »
Mike,

I have never played it, a friend of ine is a member there and gives it high praise!  I have read serveral complimentary articles on it.  You should have fun!

CHC

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 12:43:22 PM »
Mike A,

I've played it a few times, but would prefer not to predispose your opinion.

Why don't you post again, after you've played it, and let us know what you think.

I'm clearly Biased   ;D

Mike A.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 01:00:12 PM »
Pat, you....Biased?  Say it isn't so.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 01:12:49 PM »
Mike A,

It is so.

I admit it.

Others, however, can't.

Have a good time and enjoy the golf course.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 03:07:56 PM »
Pinetree's a very good course, maybe a near great course. It never really inspired me though and maybe just because basically it's too damned flat down there. Coming from the Northeast I'm used to nice elevation and it's changes. But look at that architecture particularly some of the bunker arrangements around the green fronts! It's a real good example of architecture's transition era from the old stuff to the new stuff--ie analyze how the aerial and ground game approach components work on that course.

One time Pinetree was ranked #2 in Florida---they loved Dick Wilson back in those days down there. Dick Wilson died during the construction of Pinetree and it very well may be considered the best course he did but not by me.

Ever notice how on some of these great courses of architects they've died during the construction?

Pinetree (Dick Wilson)
Merion (Hugh Wilson)
PVGC (Crump)

Robert Emmons

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 03:14:31 PM »
TEPaul, A nice short analysis ,the routing does work well . For southeast Fla. there is a little elavation with the right amount of water. A fun course to play in season with a sporty membership...

Ed_Baker

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 08:38:54 PM »
It's probably the most challenging flat course you'll play. I've not played it since the bunkers and greens have been redone, but the routing and variety of holes is exceptional.It's got just about everything except elevation changes, a 600 plus yard par5 and a short risk reward par5, with STRONG par 4's, I love the place.

The membership is exceedingly gracious with the notable exception of a certain chronic malcontent from somewhere in New Jersey.

One fascinating piece of local folklore, the clubhouse is two stories reminiscent of Augusta in size and style. On my visits to the club I have noticed that most members and guests entering the club through the front door use the stairs to ascend the one story to the locker room and lounge. But it is quite curious that after a round of golf and perhaps a game of pool and a libation or six that almost everyone uses the elevator to return to the lobby, curious,quite curious.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 08:43:49 PM »
It's probably the most challenging flat course you'll play. I've not played it since the bunkers and greens have been redone, but the routing and variety of holes is exceptional.It's got just about everything except elevation changes, a 600 plus yard par5 and a short risk reward par5, with STRONG par 4's, I love the place.

The membership is exceedingly gracious with the notable exception of a certain chronic malcontent from somewhere in New Jersey.

One fascinating piece of local folklore, the clubhouse is two stories reminiscent of Augusta in size and style. On my visits to the club I have noticed that most members and guests entering the club through the front door use the stairs to ascend the one story to the locker room and lounge. But it is quite curious that after a round of golf and perhaps a game of pool and a libation or six that almost everyone uses the elevator to return to the lobby, curious,quite curious.

Bakey4:
Good to see you back with a post.  You are correct about the Pinetree membership(with that noted exception in New Jersey).
Pinetree is a great place and the course will be enjoyed by anyone who plays it.  
Although since they accepted a certain William Duffey I may question the judgement of their Membership and Admission Committee.
Best,
Dave

Ed_Baker

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 08:49:37 PM »
Davey3,

Hence my reference to the elevator, now they shall need a freight elevator as well, to carry out the members suffering from spontaneous napping!! Narcolepsy? How do you like me so far?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 08:50:17 PM »
Ed Baker & Dave Miller,

I resemble those remarks.

Anytime you want to play Pine Tree with me, just let me know.

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2003, 08:51:26 PM »
Ed:

Pinetree does have an interesting membership but nothing like in the old days. Those original fellows defined what a good time was. Back in those day there only was the elevator--no stairs--so those original members used that elevator going in too--and if you ever knew any of them you'd understand why. As far as I know, back in those days not a single original member lived in a house other than a one story one--it was way too damn dangerous otherwise!

Dave_Miller

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2003, 08:53:46 PM »
Ed Baker & Dave Miller,

I resemble those remarks.

Anytime you want to play Pine Tree with me, just let me know.

Patrick:
Yes you certainly do. ;D ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2003, 09:04:04 PM »
Here's a good old Pinetree story that has nothing to do with golf but something to do with the way some of the membership used to be. When the club was new my Dad lived out there in one of those first houses going in with Jim Raymond, the guy who drew Dagwood and Blondie. Both of them had just gotten divorced and if you wanted to see some helpless bachelors that was them---they didn't know how to do anything--couldn't cook, had no idea how to keep the place clean--helpless. But they had this big black standard poodle who was one smart dog. It was spoiled though--had to be walked sort of at the same time everyday. Well, both of them were pretty accomplished at drinking and they came back from the PATIO one night way too late for the dog's walk and in the living room that dog had dragged alot of their dirty laundry into a big pile, dragged its leash on top of the dirty laundry and took a dump on top of the whole thing!

True story! That was one smart dog as those standard poodles can be!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back