News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re: You know you're old when
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »
You start eyeballing graphite shafts

Consider buying Rogue X irons

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

archie_struthers

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 12:56:36 PM »
 ::) 8)

You think about jumping off a smallish hill

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 02:25:01 PM »
You ask the bartender at the 19th hole if he can mix Ensure with Voka...and make it a double!

JESII

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 02:31:24 PM »
When you knowingly chuckle at 27 goofy quips about being old...

Jay Mickle

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 02:50:20 PM »
You can recall trading your Spalding registered irons in 1995 because they were collectable classics,
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Lou_Duran

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 03:24:49 PM »
When you collapse for a 2 hour nap after leisurely walking 5.1 miles on a 6700 yard classical golf course (ok, the tortilla soup and 1/2 pound featured burger didn't help matters much!).

Joe Bausch

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 03:31:21 PM »
When you collapse for a 2 hour nap after leisurely walking 5.1 miles on a 6700 yard classical golf course (ok, the tortilla soup and 1/2 pound featured burger didn't help matters much!).

That's good work by you, Lou!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »
Played today a a couple LOM (little old men). Somehow the discussion turned to bowels. Yikes.
Now I know I am old.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JESII

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 08:07:40 PM »
Winner!!!

Stan Dodd

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 12:12:03 AM »
You can't tee off at 6 a.m. anymore because it takes till 10 for you to loosen up.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 12:24:05 AM »
8)  You remember that your first set of clubs was 3-5-7-9 irons, a bullseye putter, driver, 3 & 5 woods and you had a shag bag

My first set had 1-3-4 woods.  A 5-wood was probably a special order back then!  I also had a 2-wood for a while...fun to use off the tee.  It probably looks like a modern 7 wood.

I still have my first Bullseye putter.  It is terrible...I wouldn't even use it on my carpet.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 01:27:51 PM »
Tommy,

I deliberately avoided discussing the tidal-wave-like onset of infirmities, but you may have opened pandora's box.

When you only play courses that have well spaced bathrooms cause you gotta pee every hour and you never know when you gonna have a code red bowel issue and need the facilities pronto!

Paul Dolton

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »
A couple of years ago I played in a scratch match at Flackwell heath. It was a team of seven .
 The previous time I had played there none of my team mates had been born.

Ken Moum

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 04:23:50 PM »
My first set had 1-3-4 woods.  A 5-wood was probably a special order back then!  I also had a 2-wood for a while...fun to use off the tee.  It probably looks like a modern 7 wood.

I still have my first Bullseye putter.  It is terrible...I wouldn't even use it on my carpet.

FWIW, the lofts of those woods were almost certainly 11*, 17* and 20*. The deuce would have been 14*, you'd have even 3* gaps

Today 14 and 20 are typical three and seven woods. The 17 falls in the 4/5 wood range depending on the maker.

But to stay one topic,

You know you're an old golfer when you know how to re-whip a persimmon wood, and have to supplies to do it.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »
You know you're an old golfer when Options, Variety, and Fun are the name of the game....instead of Hard, Narrow, Tough, Penal golf that must always challenge you if you want true to achieve greatness!

(Couldn't resist one final jab at our recently ousted Troll)  ;)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »
John Barrymore was purported to have said, in his waning years of too much drink and debauchery:
'You're old only when regrets take the place of your dreams'.
Fortunate is the man who doesn't grow 'old' before his time, and blessed is the one who never grows 'old'.
Me, my only regret is that I didn't take up the game 20 years earlier than I did. Like many others, I suppose, I fancy that if I had I could've gotten really good at this game - and, I'm convinced, would thus be able to appreciate great golf course architecture even more, in a better/fuller way.

archie_struthers

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2019, 08:41:31 PM »
 ;D

Peter P

you have been a treasure on this site....believe me if u were a plus handicap it would not matter in the least

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2019, 11:49:26 PM »
When you wake up more sore than you are when you go to bed.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back