News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Designing green slope and undulation New
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 08:27:46 AM »

Jeff,

A ball that is travelling faster is more likely to horseshoe out.
Thomas however claimed that a ball is more likely to horseshoe out on 'faster' greens which is factually incorrect. The only reason I can see that he would presume this is if he is conflating high stimp reading (fast green ::) ) with fast ball. Language matters very much in this case and if you ask most golfers if a 'fast' green means that the ball rolls faster on it they will answer yes.

Just because it is a 'common' phrase does not mean it should be accepted even though it is factually incorrect.

I agree with the last sentence and you've convinced at least Thomas- and I now that only leaves 25 million others :)

I didn't see anywhere Thomas use the phrase "horseshoe" referring to lipouts perhaps he edited his post?
he did refer to the Pelz "donut" which is an entirely different thing-
Did I miss something?
I ask not to start an argument, but rather because this is a topic near and dear to my heart (see Doak quote below) and nearly all my communications with Thomas have shared a similar viewpoint about the silly green speed arms race.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:30:49 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back