News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Was Ross a frequent user and master of this? I seem to recall a lot of Ross courses having at least one of these holes.

How about #7 at Pinehurst #2? Hugging the inside corner of the dogleg reduces the distance of the second shot. It also leaves a horibble angle to anything right of center.

At Hyde Park in Cincinnati (my home course and a Ross) there are two holes that have sharp doglegs.

The first is #8. About a 375 par 4 from the back. Bunkers on the inside corner. The green has a valley in the middle and high plateaus on either side with bunkers on both sides of the green but the front of the green is open for a runup shot. If you dare to have any hope of attacking a pin you better try to carry the bunkers to get a wedge or sand wedge to the green. If you're happy to just hit the middle of the green and put up the significant plateaus you can play straight to the corner of the dogleg with a 220 yard or shot and have a 8 to 6 iron into the green. The tee shot to carry the bunkers is 235 or more depending on how much you cut off. And, it is typically into the wind.

The second is #13, which is a par around 510 from the back. The inside corner of the dogleg is littered with bunkers and require a 290 carry. If you don't flirt with those bunkers (not necessarily trying to carry them) then you will not have a realistic chance to reach the green in two. Flirting with the bunkers typically leaves an uneven stance but about 220 to the middle of the green. Bailing right leaves 250 plus to the green from a flat lie.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:04:15 AM by Steve Kline »

Garland Bayley

It looks like Strandhill #5 doglegs 60 degrees or so. It and Perranporth #2 are two of the best par fives I can remember playing. Yes they are good. Perranporth named by Sean in his best of lesser known, and Strandhill named by Ally as one of the best in Ireland.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Bacsanyi

Red Hawk Ridge (Engh) in the Denver area #8.  308 from the very back tees, 90 degree dogleg.  It's the easiest hole on the course (#18 handicap) but you could make a real hash of it if you try to take it over the gunch to the green (which is totally blind).  Realistically, it's a par 3.75.  I only played the course once, but it's' a hole that I'd like to take another crack at (I laid up safely the first time because I had no idea where the green actually was!).
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Jim Nugent

The first hole at Westwood CC in suburban St. Louis makes a sharp 90 degree (I think) turn left.  It's maybe 250 yards out from the tips?  No idea if it's a good hole, but I used to love the overall course, which hosted the Western Open (twice) back when that was a real big deal, and was offered a U.S. Open, I believe in the 1960s or so. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back