News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wigler

Re:You guys are stupid #6...Ken Kavanaugh
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2003, 10:07:49 AM »
HBH - You are right and that is the right solution

Ran - Can you delete this thread and start another titled:

What is the treehouse opinion of Ken Kavanaugh's work?
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2003, 10:37:04 AM »
Anyone who wishes to can delete their own posts - the thread opener is no more offensive than the other "you guys are stupid" threads and there are no relationship references. If anyone wishes to start his own thread, feel free - don't bother Ran.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 10:38:17 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JakaB

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2003, 10:42:08 AM »
I think this thread is kinda nice...people have said nice things about both my brother and me.  I am not mad at MacWood and continue my open invitation to visit or play anytime...This site would be lacking without him.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2003, 05:54:36 PM »
Tom MacWood:

I've been aware of the connection between JakaB and his brother Ken Kavanaugh for quite some time now. Honestly, I thought it was common knowledge, at least amongst regular GCA participants. So, I am surprised anyone would make a fuss about acknowledging it.

As for John Kavanaugh, I have never quite understood why he is into this JakaB thing, but the character he created is humorous a fair portion of the time and sometimes even asks interesting questions. In any case, John is John and Ken is Ken. Nothing the character JakaB says would influence my assessment of any work his brother Ken does.

Anyway, I don't see borrowing JakaB's headline "you guys are stupid" as "mean spirited", but the jury is still out whether this headline helps stimulate legitimate golf architecture discussion or just turns people off.

Tim Weiman

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2003, 11:50:29 AM »
Tom,

You are right that there is little talk of Ken's work for the reason that few have played them.  There was talk of KK when I did the AOTD of Murphy Creek last year (and by far was the most-viewed and most-posted AOTD thread at the time and I think still may be), as the Denver-area folks have played it.

KK isn't the only architect (Ken's mostly regional and most architect's talked little of are the regional ones) that is rarely talked about.  How much talk is there of Gene Hamm, Tom Jackson, Willard Byrd, David Esler (until very recently), Richard Mandel, Kris Spence (some recently), Rick Robbins, Rick Jacobsen, Bob Moore, Tripp Davis?

There are posting architects here (including Mandel and Spence above) who aren't mentioned much because we're not familiar with their work.  Also, a lot of current work is renovation/restoration, etc. that isn't necessarily new design.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 11:51:11 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2003, 12:34:08 PM »

In addtion to those mentioned by Scott above I would add Randy Heckenkemper, Gene "Bunny" Mason, Peter Thompson, Gary Panks and Bill Overdorf.

JakaB

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2003, 12:39:28 PM »
dbd
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 01:40:06 PM by JakaB »

T_MacWood

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2003, 12:40:05 PM »
Craig and Scott
What are the reasons those architects are not discussed on GCA (Esler and Thomson have been discussed more than the others)?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2003, 12:47:59 PM »
I believe I mentioned not necessarily having played a certain architect's (not just KK) work much.

Personally, I usually don't bring things up (such as architects), I usually respond to when someone else brings them up.  If it hasn't been brought up....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 12:48:34 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2003, 02:06:26 PM »
Craig,
An architect named Bunny? I don't think so.............

(one of my old jokes)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2003, 01:14:48 PM »
Tom MacWood,

In case you've forgotten.

T_MacWood

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2003, 06:31:57 PM »
Forgot what?

SPDB

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2003, 07:21:36 PM »
What about classic architects that get little to no discussion on this site, some of whom are pretty good (and great)?

Strong, for instance, gets almost no play on this site (apart from Tom MacWood), despite having at least as many quality designs in this country has Hugh Alison.

Orrin Smith, too, although not prolific, is never discussed despite a couple of strong layouts.

Alfred Tull is yet another one.

The previous two probably suffer from their associations (Ross and Emmet, respectively), but nevertheless they did design independently and contributed important pieces of work to architecture's overall body.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 07:22:00 PM by SPDB »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2003, 11:15:42 PM »
I've played Dinosaur Mountain (Gold Canyon) and was very impressed, demanding course that seemed to be a great example of what desert golf can be when done right. While this site doesn't grade on a scale it's got to be the best value in the Phoenix Area which probably means a fairly minimalist approach to moving dirt.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back