News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

16 minutes from home
« on: May 25, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »
Does anyone here know of this monument reference, and the golf course on which it is found? If so, just reply YES and I'll post a few images in a day or two.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tommy Williamsen

Re: 16 minutes from home
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »
Does anyone here know of this monument reference, and the golf course on which it is found? If so, just reply YES and I'll post a few images in a day or two.

I know of a monument on a golf course that really is fiction.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 04:57:14 PM »
Yes, but never been there, although someone we all know was there a short while ago.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:32:52 PM »
Here's the story: Willie McCool was a runner at the Naval Academy. The golf course, as often happens at universities, was also the site of X-C races, given its topography. In his final race, McCool ran a PR and led his team to victory. 'Twixt the 14th green and 15th tee deck, there is a monument to McCool and his performance (and a little bit more.) At that point in the race, he was 16 minutes from home.

The "little bit more" is this: Willie McCool was the pilot of the Space Shuttle Columbia in 2003. As many of us remember, this was the mission that disintegrated over Texas. McCool worked tirelessly until the end, trying every option to bring his ship to port. At the moment when contact with the ship was lost, the Columbia was 16 minutes from its touch down.

As you can imagine, my knees nearly buckled, and I took a series of deep breaths. The entire weekend (graduation of one of my former golfers, now an ensign in the US Navy) was an introduction to the service and sacrifice of the military of the world. Even at 53, there is much for me to learn.

I'll put images of the monument on my Instagram feed (@buffalogolfer) now.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:33:05 PM »
I've played the course dozens of times and I used to run from the Academy to the golf course and run a bit on the back nine. I have never noticed that monument. Guess I was too eager to hit the tee shot.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 10:27:07 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back