News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Garvelink

OT - Caddies - Double Bagging - Tipping Etiquette
« on: May 24, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
Gents,

I must admit I am a rookie when it comes to taking caddies and to date I have used them on 4 different occasions which include Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Oakland Hills South, and Lost Dunes.  My experiences at Oakland Hills South and Whistling Straits were outstanding and I would rate those caddies an A+.  They single bagged and really made me feel like I had their attention on every hole.  They were excellent at giving me course knowledge, correct yardages, layup spots and were excellent at reading greens.  They easily saved me 5-10 strokes and really helped me enjoy my golf experience.

At Erin Hills and Lost Dunes I had a different experience as my caddies were pretty new to the course and double bagged.  With that being said they were still great guys and they hustled and were fun to talk to but really struggled with yardages, reading greens, and I often times had to go get my club from them since they were on the other side of the fairway.  It really was an issue on the greens as well as it seemed like it was a chore for them to give me a line and they always seemed to be in a rush since they had two guys to work with.

I am not totally against double caddies who double bag as I have to believe there are plenty of caddies who can easily handle it and do a great job.  But my experiences were not great and I stilled tipped them the full suggested amount which at the time was $65 on top of what the clubhouse charged.  Am I selfish to want my caddie all to myself?

At Whistling Straits I clearly got what I paid for but at Erin Hills I felt like I got robbed.  It felt like I had a junior caddie instead of an A Caddie.

The question I have is what do you do if a caddie is a great guy to talk to but pretty much stinks at course knowledge, reading greens and getting you the clubs you need?  Would a $40-$50 tip be ok or is that just flat out wrong?

I struggle with this and am truly looking for what others think. 

I plan to play Sand Valley soon and I am wondering if a junior caddie is the way to go????   I have heard they have some great caddies there but since its a new resort many of them are new as well.   $60  for a junior caddie and I understand that they wont be able to read greens all that well but is it worth the risk of getting somebody who struggles?

So what do you do if a caddie does not meet your expectations?  Do you just pay the guy the suggest value (which is what I have done in the past) or do you pay him the value you think he is worth?  I am not saying stiff the guy but is it wrong to tip $40 vs. the suggested $65??

I also could not believe that both Erin hills and Whistling Straits take around $24-$35 of the caddie fee.  That seems wrong to me
"Pure Michigan"

Tommy Williamsen

Re: OT - Caddies - Double Bagging - Tipping Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 12:14:49 PM »
Bob, I think you will find that most clubs have caddies that double bag. They can't make much just carrying one bag. I belonged to a club for fifteen years that had caddies. Caddies are normally classed and their recommended recompense is determined by their experience. For many, caddying is their primary source of income. I generally find out what the expected rate is then add a tip based on how well I think they did. There were times when I had guests who were stingy and I had to add to his tip. I generally added twenty dollars to the expected rate. If he was exceptional I gave more. At the beginning of each round share your expectations with the caddie but be realistic. He can't have long conversations about distance, how receptive each green is, etc with each of you. He should, however, be able to give you your club without you having to walk across the fairway. I always shared a caddie with a friend. Sharing a caddie with a stranger can be difficult if he tends to covet the caddie's time.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Christian Newton

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »
Bob,

I have played at Sand Valley several times so here's my perspective:

If you're playing SV when school is out, there will be plentiful junior caddies. Expect a young man or woman who will keep up with you and know the course--with the help of a yardage book. But they may be new to the sport, which means they're learning while they work for you. I find that to be a rewarding interaction unto itself. Some are competing for Evans Scholarships so the learning has yet another dimension.

"A" Caddies are seasoned pros who probably work Bandon or down south in the off-season. They'll laser pins, provide "actuals" and playing distances and know greens and surrounds very well.

As at other Keiser/Kemper properties, the caddie program is well-managed and responsive. Call the resort and request exactly what you want: single or double-bag, Junior or "A." They will meet your request as long as they have people to fill it.

Cheers,
Christian
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:20:11 PM by Christian Newton »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 06:15:54 PM »
I love Bandon but question their take that double bagged is better for the game:

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/golf/caddies-services

DOUBLE-BAG CADDIESOur caddies are some of the most experienced in the industry. Our mission is to enhance your experience and we have found that our caddies improve the flow of the game for you and your friends when carrying two bags.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:17:35 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »

If a caddy is double bagging at Erin Hills they should get a premium tip just for negotiating the topography.

Although I am a rider I would use a carry bag and if there was room pack a Sunday bag if I happened to get a double caddy on a nice day.   

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 07:00:30 PM »

If a caddy is double bagging at Erin Hills they should get a premium tip just for negotiating the topography.

Although I am a rider I would use a carry bag and if there was room pack a Sunday bag if I happened to get a double caddy on a nice day.

Pete-Same at Streamsong Black.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:31:53 PM »
I love Bandon but question their take that double bagged is better for the game:

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/golf/caddies-services

DOUBLE-BAG CADDIESOur caddies are some of the most experienced in the industry. Our mission is to enhance your experience and we have found that our caddies improve the flow of the game for you and your friends when carrying two bags.

Had Bandon gotten away from assigning single caddies only?When I went ten years ago it was one caddy per player. I actually prefer a double caddy because I like a little space from the caddy. I found the single caddy was with me all the time! I need some alone time on the course, especially after bad shots... :)

Peter Flory

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 11:00:03 PM »
Man, double bagging at Erin Hills for players who hit into the fescue would be one long and brutal day.  It is a big walk even when someone else is carrying your bag for you. 

Mark Smolens

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 11:29:10 PM »
My last visit to Erin Hills ( won’t be back) was for an IPGA pro-am. My buddy’s caddy was Carl Jackson’s brother (he was leaving to go back to Augusta the next day). He couldn’t read a green to save his life, and neither could any of the other three caddies we had.  I don’t need to pay big money to have a guy carrying my bag. That’s why they make push carts, but that’s apparently too low brow for Erin Hills. That’s okay, I’d rather go back to a Sand Valley or Lawsonia anyway

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 11:32:32 PM »
It's like volunteering at a soup kitchen without the soup. Pay the man his money and move on with your life. Your reward lies in the charity of your actions.

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
It's like volunteering at a soup kitchen without the soup. Pay the man his money and move on with your life. Your reward lies in the charity of your actions.

John,

Good point and even if I get frustrated then I should probably just suck it up and pay the man for his work.  I like the the idea when I travel to Sand Valley to go with the junior caddie.  The more I think about it I really just need a guy to carry my bag and have my clubs ready. 

After thinking about my initial post I def dont want to be the guy who is short changing a caddie.  These guys work hard carrying bags and may not be in the best financial situation. As long as I am not carry the bag I should be happy and thankful for the opportunities I have had in life :)

Cheers!

Pure Michigan
"Pure Michigan"

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »
Bob-It’s not always the case that you will have the luxury of picking between a junior and regular caddie. My biggest issue with caddies are the incessant talkers. Not unlike playing partners I can tell after a couple of holes whether I would want the guy/gal to carry for me again.

archie_struthers

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »

;D

Happy Memorial Day all. Blessings to all the veterans out there who deserve  kudos for helping keep us safe.

As one who carried many bags of all sizes and for great and awful players! Had fun with most .  Treat your caddy with respect, more often than not they are trying hard to make your day better.
Most of the time you will find some neat trait your cash has that endears him or her to you .

Every course has a “rate” that the caddy master will gladly tell you before you tee off. Generally this varies according to the quality of the golf course involved and the general experience. As having a caddy is often reserved to special occasion or higher end venues enjoy the experience. If they are exceptional give them some extra as befits your personal means. A caddy appreciates a gentleman or woman who treats them nicely. The money is a bonus
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:33:13 PM by archie_struthers »

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 11:27:30 AM »
Archie-I’ve had far more days enhanced by caddies than the opposite. As a former caddie I absolutely agree with the notion that being treated kindly by your player(s) is right up there with a generous tip. And although not always, if you get one you’ll usually get them both.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 11:34:46 AM »
Caddies talk. It doesn't matter how poor a job your caddie does tip generously for the benefit of your host.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »
Another thing. Never assume that you were so charming that carrying your bag was some form of award.

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 11:42:49 AM »
Another thing. Never assume that you were so charming that carrying your bag was some form of award.

;D

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
 ;D ;D

Kavanaugh is beautiful 😘

Pat Burke

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »
I was a caddy growing up.  Rule was juniors couldn’t play unless we caddied.  It was a great job, but carrying doubles with those old Burton trunks loaded to the gills was brutal!

Now, at 15,16,17 years old, I was a pretty good player, knew the course backwards and forwards, and played the course almost every day in the summer after caddying.

Funny how often a player would rip a putt past the hole and look at me and say it didn’t break......my usual response of putts don’t break if airborne wasn’t popular with that player!   

Even on tour, I found very few caddies who could read greens consistently from course to course.  And that with usually perfect greens and pretty consistent pace on putts.
It’s why greens books are so prevalent.

I usually tip on effort and the basics being covered.  But I don’t ask for a lot other than yardages and listening to how good I used to be

Jeff Schley

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 12:36:39 PM »
Walked a round with a single caddie last week in the UK and he had a watch that tracked his GPS route.  Playing partner also had one.  He walked 1 1/2 miles more than him, which means he was walking quite a bit more looking for balls in the heather. They aren't sipping lemonade all day, they hump it.  3 best caddies I have had were: The Country Club guy was a 50 yo pro for sure and had great insights, LACC where his green reads were spot on, TOC a guy named Nick who gave me all the lines for each shot as well as saying you have 150 yard shot here instead of trying to club me.  I really enjoy having a caddie and respect their craft.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
Walked a round with a single caddie last week in the UK and he had a watch that tracked his GPS route.  Playing partner also had one.  He walked 1 1/2 miles more than him, which means he was walking quite a bit more looking for balls in the heather. They aren't sipping lemonade all day, they hump it.  3 best caddies I have had were: The Country Club guy was a 50 yo pro for sure and had great insights, LACC where his green reads were spot on, TOC a guy named Nick who gave me all the lines for each shot as well as saying you have 150 yard shot here instead of trying to club me.  I really enjoy having a caddie and respect their craft.

Someone that can factor in the elements and then give you a yardage and is good at it can be invaluable. They are great at this in Ireland and I would imagine across the entire UK.

John Emerson

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 04:37:47 PM »
I just returned from Scotland and only once did any of my caddies use a range finder. We used caddies 6 times out of 12 rounds.  The caddie master at Prestwick hates range finders and I think most of the older caddies do as well.  All
Of my caddies walked off yardages from their guide books and pin sheets.  But to answer the question 75-80£ was standard from what the caddie master told me. 
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Rob Marshall

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2019, 05:41:44 PM »
I had a great Caddie when I played at Pebble and Spyglass. He wanted no part of my laser. Gave me the yardage the shot would play and was spot on. He was well worth every cent and I tipped him accordingly. I had a double bagger at the Ocean course who was for just carrying the clubs but a nice guy. Ireland was hit or miss. I had two great caddies and two so so. What started to annoy me was the guys I was playing with too cheap to pay for a asking him all kinds of questions.

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

James Brown

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2019, 08:30:10 PM »
Caddies are such a great part of the game.  About 85% of the caddies I have used have been either good or great.  A couple have been all world.   My favorite caddies have been members at Scottish clubs or legit pro caddies.  The young club caddies are always hit or miss.  I’ve been to abandon twice and had a total crap caddie the first time and stuck with him and it pretty much ruined the experience.  The second time had a really great guy and it made it great.  I think I prefer one-round caddies over their system. 

And you should always pay well.  If you can afford a caddie, you can pay them at least the going rate regardless.  More if they are awesome.

Total aside.   I had Willie Stewart as a caddie at St. Andrews New Course last summer and he was pure gold.  Has been there since 1984 and #2 on the seniority list.  Totally calm teeing off and blowing 25+ by the closing stretch and talked me through that wind.   Told me Dennis Hopper stories from 20 years of carrying for him when in town - sober and not. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2019, 08:39:57 PM »
Caddies are such a great part of the game.  About 85% of the caddies I have used have been either good or great.  A couple have been all world.   My favorite caddies have been members at Scottish clubs or legit pro caddies.  The young club caddies are always hit or miss.  I’ve been to abandon twice and had a total crap caddie the first time and stuck with him and it pretty much ruined the experience.  The second time had a really great guy and it made it great.  I think I prefer one-round caddies over their system. 

And you should always pay well.  If you can afford a caddie, you can pay them at least the going rate regardless.  More if they are awesome.

Total aside.   I had Willie Stewart as a caddie at St. Andrews New Course last summer and he was pure gold.  Has been there since 1984 and #2 on the seniority list.  Totally calm teeing off and blowing 25+ by the closing stretch and talked me through that wind.   Told me Dennis Hopper stories from 20 years of carrying for him when in town - sober and not.

James-The Bandon model giving you the same caddie for your entire stay is a double edged sword for sure. If you love him/her then it works great. If not it could be a pain in the ass.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back