News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Bethpage Black Setup, Tiger and Kopeka
« on: May 18, 2019, 08:43:00 AM »
Here's my take on the setup of Bethpage Black...great, terrific, perfect. I love the narrow fairways, you must hit it straight, really closer to a US Open setup but without the ridiculously fast and ultra hard greens, shows those speeds and hardness are not necessary. Much more interesting to watch than a US Open.

It showed Tiger's weakness as a driver of the golf ball, he just doesn't hit it straight enough to compete on a course setup like this. Interestingly enough, his Masters Win may have been more of a Jack Nicklaus Masters win at age 46 than a complete comeback, but I hope not, he adds so much to the excitement to the game.

Brooks Kopeka is the new tiger, the complete package, very long, very straight, great iron player and putter. Very intimidating as well. He will become everyones Hero shortly. Golf needs a superstar and he's it.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Sweeney

Re: Bethpage Black Setup, Tiger and Kopeka
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 05:07:25 AM »
I just saw Ryan Farrow's documentation of BB fairway shrinkage, amazing:

https://twitter.com/FarrowGolf

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »
Wow thanks for posting Mike, that is pretty eye opening in terms of a visual for their changes.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:49:57 PM »

This is great stuff.  It was still almost that wide in 1979 when I first played the course, as I was trying to explain to Nick, but he just didn't want to hear anything which went against how he wants it to be.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:04:31 PM »

This is great stuff.  It was still almost that wide in 1979 when I first played the course, as I was trying to explain to Nick, but he just didn't want to hear anything which went against how he wants it to be.

What is interesting is that as the scale grows due to equipment, fairways should be getting wider, not narrower.
(at all courses)
small wonder it takes so much longer to walk 10% farther, hit it 15% farther, then hunt for your ball in the smaller fairway, find it and then skull or chunk your wedge from a "chipping" area tighter than a 1951 green...
that and the ridiculous preshot routines that have become commonplace.
Get off my lawn ! (or at least mow more of it :) )

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 02:06:46 AM »

What is interesting is that as the scale grows due to equipment, fairways should be getting wider, not narrower.
(at all courses)
small wonder it takes so much longer to walk 10% farther, hit it 15% farther, then hunt for your ball in the smaller fairway, find it and then skull or chunk your wedge from a "chipping" area tighter than a 1951 green...
that and the ridiculous preshot routines that have become commonplace.
Get off my lawn ! (or at least mow more of it :) )
:)
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back