News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Wagner

Re: Is the Masters good for the game of golf?
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2019, 08:47:24 PM »
I'm sure there are lots of "regular folk" lining up to buy BP tix...  ::) ::)

"The Masters BP badge may be the new hottest and toughest ticket in sports. At $6,000, it is also among the priciest. The BP badges are available only through members for corporations, with a 10-ticket limit."

Bummed you responded to this  (with again subjective terms), but didn't answer my questions yet.

Conley Hurst

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2019, 09:52:48 PM »
Watching the Masters on TV first sparked my interest in golf and golf architecture. And I know I am not the only one.

The "Augusta effect" has had a negative influence on golf architecture and culture at many clubs. It seems that the ANGC is beginning to realize this, though I wish they would do more on the architecture front. Nonetheless, as it has been said many times, the Masters is the Super Bowl of golf. No golf event exposes more people to the game, and no event makes golf look as fun and enjoyable. There's nothing bad about that.

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2019, 07:22:00 AM »
Twelve months ago I would have been indifferent. Then I went on Saturday and Sunday and can say yes - it is without doubt good for golf.

I'm not sure how to explain it but once you experience it say vs the US Open, PGA championship or the complete other extreme, the Waste Management it exudes everything right about golf. Golf needs the Happy Gilmore vibe of a Waste Management to grow and appeal to a younger crowd but The Masters holds onto tradition. Everyone there was respectful, happy to be there, there for the golf (ie no obvious/blatant poseurs). I get the criticism but as someone who loves the game, walking the grounds and taking in the the ambiance just shows why it is the greatest show in sport and why it is great for golf.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2019, 07:32:38 AM »
The game doesn't need to grow. Some folk in the golf industry might want or indeed need it to grow for their own personal circumstances but that would be a different discussion. The question, which I think a valid one, is whether the Masters is good for the game, not whether it grows it.

Niall

Tim Martin

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2019, 07:49:06 AM »
The Masters get’s cold weather players everywhere tinkering with their clubs and checking to see which courses are up and running. If you weren’t thinking about golf in New England and the upper mid Atlantic states you are come Masters week. I don’t know how that’s not good for the game.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »
I suspect the only part of the Masters people object to is the ultra pristine conditioning; causing other Clubs to try and emulate those conditions. Could Augusta National achieve those conditions if they stayed open all year long?

What are the differences in conditions between AN and ACC? Does it make it that much easier to pimp out the Course by shutting it down over the summer? Or is that choice made for different reasons?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jay Mickle

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2019, 08:28:33 AM »
Would be great if TV viewers took note that players WALK the course and chose to emulate that.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jim Nugent

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2019, 06:02:13 PM »
Rules question: during weather delays, are the players allowed to hit balls on the range and/or putt on the practice green?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2019, 06:58:04 PM »
Yes it is one of the three biggest golf tournaments. It creates the interest for non golfers wanting to golf.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2019, 07:42:21 PM »
I suspect the only part of the Masters people object to is the ultra pristine conditioning; causing other Clubs to try and emulate those conditions. Could Augusta National achieve those conditions if they stayed open all year long?

What are the differences in conditions between AN and ACC? Does it make it that much easier to pimp out the Course by shutting it down over the summer? Or is that choice made for different reasons?

To answer your question,  they could acheive good conditions most of the year-as do many clubs that overseed.
But there are tradeoffs and it depends upon when you want to peak.
If they were open year round and chose to oversee wall to wall, which they do, they would have an ugly transition period in late may or June depending upin how long they chose to hold onto the rye.
Rye grass is green-it's not over watered-it's just green.
In the summer,the underlying bermuda would emerge and it would be a lighter shade(after the rye turned brown and died off) 

Constant overseeding can take its toll and many clubs alternate(generally because they see the downsides and forget the upsides of overseeding and not overseeding) Whether they do in a specific year goes in cycles depending upon when a club wants to peak, who's in charge, and when that guy play the most golf.
Palmetto has made the decision to be mintin April for The Masters(firrm and well drained Wednesday even after all the rain of Monday/Tuesday) , and they are mint via overseeding most years, but they are pretty good most of the rest of the year after a brief transition in June, then an overseeding period in early October.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:27:12 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Young

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2019, 09:19:37 PM »
I'm sure there are lots of "regular folk" lining up to buy BP tix...  ::) ::)

"The Masters BP badge may be the new hottest and toughest ticket in sports. At $6,000, it is also among the priciest. The BP badges are available only through members for corporations, with a 10-ticket limit."

Nope...not even close...BP badge can be bought.  Clubhouse pass is much tougher...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

jeffwarne

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »
So we have two college interns(my son's roommates-he's back at school) staying with us for the (now) 10 day Masters week.
Long hours-14 a day and exhausted every night straight to bed.
Last night they were gushing about how they were  going to start playing golf and couldn't wait to get back to give it a shot.
I'm sure someone will find someting bad about that.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »
Yes.  The Masters is good for golf.

It's always increased awareness, but is becoming more and more inclusive.  To me, it's a winner in every way.

Keep in mind that probably most all ANGC members play more frequently at other courses, none of which can (or should) approach the ANGC's conditioning and budget.     We all live mostly in the real world, but for a week every year, it's SO sweet!

John Kirk

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2019, 02:03:48 PM »
The generosity of the famous club should be considered.

--  Inexpensive concessions at the club.

--  Free bonus Internet coverage.

--  Very few commercials on TV.

--  Furthermore, it's the only top-level pro tournament that limits the field to a number where all players play the course from hole 1 to hole 18 every round.  You can make an argument that all other tournaments are greedy by comparison, squeezing as many players into the field while compromising the intent of the golf courses played.

Augusta National Golf Club leaves a lot of potential revenue on the table, in a number of different ways.  It's a good example of a wealthy, successful club walking the talk, and acting charitably.

I consider the Masters very good for golf, an essential part of the game's allure and attraction.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
Did they forget to turn on the sub air system?  The greens are very soft.
Be the ball

Jim Nugent

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2019, 04:21:17 PM »

But, isn't really just a cash-cow for the members who use this event to fund their playground?
Just read a Forbes article from 2015 that says the Masters could generate $200 million more in profit per year, if the club chose.  First, a competitive TV deal would bring in $100 million annually, pure profit.  Second, if they wanted to maximize ticket revenue, they could make $100 million more. 

The article is titled, "How the Masters Leaves $200 Million on the Putting Green."  Here's the URL...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2015/04/11/how-the-masters-leaves-200-million-on-the-putting-green/#5025a1d3449c

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2019, 06:01:14 PM »
No.

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »
Yes, but Tiger is better for the game of golf.

I was at my son's basketball tournament today, watching it on the iPad in between games.  He is 10 years old.  Half of his teammates who were hanging around were asking "how Tiger was doing, is Tiger winning?"

These kids are not golfers, but having Tiger in the mix got them interested and they watched the last couple of holes.  It gave me a chance to explain par, and how many strokes Tiger was winning by, etc.  Will they grow up to be golfers?  That most likely lies with their parents getting them to a course, but having Tiger in the mix is the only thing that had them interested today.

Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

Pat Burke

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2019, 03:47:34 AM »

To answer your question,  they could acheive good conditions most of the year-as do many clubs that overseed.
But there are tradeoffs and it depends upon when you want to peak.
If they were open year round and chose to oversee wall to wall, which they do, they would have an ugly transition period in late may or June depending upin how long they chose to hold onto the rye.
Rye grass is green-it's not over watered-it's just green.
In the summer,the underlying bermuda would emerge and it would be a lighter shade(after the rye turned brown and died off) 

Constant overseeding can take its toll and many clubs alternate(generally because they see the downsides and forget the upsides of overseeding and not overseeding) Whether they do in a specific year goes in cycles depending upon when a club wants to peak, who's in charge, and when that guy play the most golf.
Palmetto has made the decision to be mintin April for The Masters(firrm and well drained Wednesday even after all the rain of Monday/Tuesday) , and they are mint via overseeding most years, but they are pretty good most of the rest of the year after a brief transition in June, then an overseeding period in early October.

So, having lived the over seeding debate at numerous clubs, pro and con, one of the principal debates Center’s on transition periods. 
Over seeding takes (x) amount of time, and the transition in spring takes a period as well, and that’s assuming a solid Bermuda base that’s been over seeded in the fall.

My question is, every club I’ve been involved with, aerifies their courses in these transition periods, whether over seeding or not, and there are transition periods with that as well.  How much longer is that transition time when overseeding vs normal aerification during those times?  My current course seems to be pretty sketchy for at least 2 weeks each aerification depending on the weather in the transition seasons.

I guess this may be a question for a different thread....

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2019, 04:41:24 AM »
The generosity of the famous club should be considered.

--  Inexpensive concessions at the club.

--  Free bonus Internet coverage.

--  Very few commercials on TV.

--  Furthermore, it's the only top-level pro tournament that limits the field to a number where all players play the course from hole 1 to hole 18 every round.  You can make an argument that all other tournaments are greedy by comparison, squeezing as many players into the field while compromising the intent of the golf courses played.

Augusta National Golf Club leaves a lot of potential revenue on the table, in a number of different ways.  It's a good example of a wealthy, successful club walking the talk, and acting charitably.

I consider the Masters very good for golf, an essential part of the game's allure and attraction.

Don't know if I'd go so far as to label it 'generosity', but there are a number of elements on which the club are to be commended as you say John - I thought the app in particular was sensational this year.

Re whole field playing the course 1-18 all rounds - sorry to be a pedant  - the Open Championship does the same.

Steve Lang

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2019, 05:23:54 AM »
 8)  If it isn't good, tell me someone better.

Regarding transitioning, we got off that habit many years ago for the WCC courses, only overseeding the tees in winter.  Main advantage i see is the simple transition to dormant or growing, i.e., triggered when evening temps stay below/above 65 degF just occurs when it occurs, no forced transition because that's what the schedule calls for...  of course the PGA agronomists or Masters always want it green and lush for TV, but what if they're no keeping an eye on things well in advance... 

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back