News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: What's with the ties in the match play?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
Well, Tiger advanced, I guess on Instagram likes, so I’m not unhappy. I better log into Instagram for the next round now, start building his stats. Round of Pi will be tough, Kylie Jenner has a huge Instagram following.

Just think about how much more enjoyable March Madness would be if Duke were forced to walk the gauntlet and play a round robin against Southwest Podunk State, South Northern Appalachia U and Eastern West Samoan Guam Community College. That would be so much more maddening than one and done.....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
Just think how much better life would be without second chances.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 03:23:46 PM »
Just think how much better life would be without second chances.

really? wtf does that mean in your trollspeak anyway?
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2019, 03:44:18 PM »
For instance. In golf if each player was only given one ball and his round was over when it was lost the game would move along quicker and architecture would be far more interesting. Look at any zero tolerance society. Those who remain live happier more fulfilled lives than the outcasts. It's a proven concept.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 03:54:56 PM »
Close your eyes, breath and count backwards from 100... it'll be a happier place for you. And those who remain live happier more fulfilled lives. It's a proven concept.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jim Nugent

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2019, 05:14:59 PM »
For instance. In golf if each player was only given one ball and his round was over when it was lost the game would move along quicker and architecture would be far more interesting.
At the Players Championship, they might have to change the rule from low score wins to most holes completed wins.  That or hire a bunch of scuba divers to line every hole at Sawgrass.
Though it's a novel idea and quite funny, architecture would get more boring, not more interesting.   

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2019, 06:23:41 AM »
As for ties, the Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup does this as well, its just called halved instead of tied...is it the verbage that offends?
Halved is gone. Ties are in. The new Rules have a new language, too. Simpler. More common.
In what weird universe is "tied" simpler, or more common, than "halved" in any part of the world that isn't the USA?  If it was really about simple, common language, what about calling them draws?  Or just sticking with "halved
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
As for ties, the Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup does this as well, its just called halved instead of tied...is it the verbage that offends?
Halved is gone. Ties are in. The new Rules have a new language, too. Simpler. More common.
In what weird universe is "tied" simpler, or more common, than "halved" in any part of the world that isn't the USA?  If it was really about simple, common language, what about calling them draws?  Or just sticking with "halved

There are approximately 1 billion people who speak English on the planet, and I would be willing to bet a vast majority say tied far more often than drew or halved in everyday language. That's why they changed it. Tied is more common.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2019, 03:31:23 AM »

There are approximately 1 billion people who speak English on the planet, and I would be willing to bet a vast majority say tied far more often than drew or halved in everyday language. That's why they changed it. Tied is more common.
I note that you would be willing to bet becomes a statement of fact.  Does anyone, particularly in the USGA or R&A have any evidence, or is this just another example of people in the USA assuming that what is more common there is more common worldwide?  I suspect the US is the only country where the idea of a drawn sorts fixture is anathema, unless you can name somewhere else.  Clearly, in soccer playing countries (read the rest of the world) the draw is readily accepted.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

SL_Solow

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2019, 08:47:59 AM »
Mark,  The rule changes were not a unilateral decision of the USGA.  Apparently the R&A was in accord with the changes in terminology.

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »

Why on earth do we want to be more "common"?
Whatever hapened to aspiring to something?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2019, 10:22:01 AM »
pgatour.com must have not gotten the message. Matches with no winner this week were described as "halved."   

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2019, 01:21:24 PM »

I think Mark is right on here.

For the life of me I can't understand why the big wigs would gather round the conference table and declare "halved is just no good.  We must put an end to this travesty.  Matches shall now be deemed tied, not halved"

What a complete and utter waste given the far far bigger issues to address...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
Mark,  The rule changes were not a unilateral decision of the USGA.  Apparently the R&A was in accord with the changes in terminology.
Pay attention.  I acknowledged that in the post literally immediately before yours.  Do at least read what I said before correcting me.

Peter Flory

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2019, 03:10:14 PM »
I love watching a pro golfer with a ski cap.  For a northerner, this is pretty typical weather, so nice to seem them with a bit of wind and cold. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
I love watching a pro golfer with a ski cap.  For a northerner, this is pretty typical weather, so nice to seem them with a bit of wind and cold.

Weather.com says its 53 degrees.  And thats ski cap weather?  That sounds like a nice spring day to me, don't even need a jacket!  ;D

David_Tepper

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2019, 04:36:56 PM »
Kalen -

When the 2 matches started this morning, one of the announcers on TV said the temp was 41F.

DT

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2019, 05:36:27 PM »

I note that you would be willing to bet becomes a statement of fact.  Does anyone, particularly in the USGA or R&A have any evidence, or is this just another example of people in the USA assuming that what is more common there is more common worldwide?  I suspect the US is the only country where the idea of a drawn sorts fixture is anathema, unless you can name somewhere else.  Clearly, in soccer playing countries (read the rest of the world) the draw is readily accepted.
Really? Tied is far more common. Ask a third grader what you call a game in which two people have the same score. None will say "halved."

I think Mark is right on here.For the life of me I can't understand why the big wigs would gather round the conference table and declare "halved is just no good.  We must put an end to this travesty.  Matches shall now be deemed tied, not halved"What a complete and utter waste given the far far bigger issues to address...

They didn't have to ignore "the far far bigger issues" just to change the language. There are no more "fellow competitors," there are just "other players." "Casual water" (as opposed to "formal water?") is gone, replaced with "temporary water." A number of terms were changed.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2019, 06:34:36 PM »
Tied is another concession to the millennials. A tie is a win, a win is a tie. No losers allowed. The only halve in their world is ThirdLove bra sizing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 06:55:12 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2019, 04:24:07 AM »

Really? Tied is far more common. Ask a third grader what you call a game in which two people have the same score. None will say "halved."
In the USA, yes, certainly.  In  the UK, certainly not.  Here, that's a draw.  In Australia, New Zealand, India?  I don't know and obviously nor do you know.  In fact, you don't appear to realise or acknowledge ("third grader" is not an expression that would be used here, for one) that English (there's a clue in the name of the language) is spoken outside the USA.  But Kalen's right, the assumption by middle aged rules makers in sport that the way to attract young people to the game is through dumbing down is simplistic tosh which will fail to achieve that and at the same time risk alienating established players/fans.

For a very similar example (though even dafter and more misguided) google "cricket" (it's a sport played in a very substantial proportion of the rest of the English speaking world) and "the hundred".

Thomas Dai

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2019, 04:32:23 AM »
Not the first time, and probably not the last, that the phrase “two nations divided by a common language” has merit herein.
:)

Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back