News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

OT - Tony Finau on Feherty
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:27:38 PM »
Many apologies for the OT topic. I don't do this often on here, but I hope you'll understand why after reading this. Tony is my favorite golfer I've never met. Here's why:

I'm but a lowly self-employed t shirt printer, as many on here surely know. I've been printing for 25 years, and for one of my clients, a little over a decade. About 5 years ago, this particular client's mom stopped by the shop, with a couple sisters. They were and are wonderful Samoan women. The main one, I'd been printing for her son's soccer organization (they run a league for children who are disadvantaged in opportunities, literally driving a van around picking the kids up and driving them to fields to practice or play - and they won a national Futsal title a couple years ago!) for 10-15 years. He was a really nice guy, big and soft spoken, heart of gold. (Sadly, he passed at a young age from a heart attack.) Before he had passed, his mom stopped by one day with her sisters, asking about t's for their family reunion. They showed me an old shirt from a prior reunion, and I said, do you want yours to say "Finau" as this one does, and I pronounced it correctly. The mom looked at me surprised, and said, how do you know how to say that? And I smiled sheepishly and said, I'm kind of a golf nerd, and there's this guy who is a bit of a phenom named Tony Finau, and I assumed your name is pronounced the same way. She said to me: That's my nephew!

So I've followed his career more closely ever since. I've traded many emails with them as he climbed leaderboards with increasing regularity, though lately it's become so commonplace that I don't even bother anymore, I just do it when I see them, at work and elsewhere.

Trust me when I say, this family is special. I'm lucky, I get to print for a lot of great people, but this family, they are the nicest by a wide margin, absolute hearts of gold. Every single one of them, and I've met about 10 of them. I run into them occasionally in the area, and each time they greet me with a wide smile, and I am quick to return it. If I had a problem and needed someone to help, they would be the first people I'd call, outside of my family, and I know they'd be there, lending a hand.

What does this have to do with architecture? Nothing. This is just about life. Please take some time to watch the Feherty show with Tony if you can, and please root for him (which is really easy to do). He doesn't need your support, he'd doing fine on his own, but it can't hurt...

Thanks for your time, if you've read this. I just had to share it with my golf friends. Moderators, please feel free to delete the thread (after a few days, please :)).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ira Fishman

Re: OT - Tony Finau on Feherty
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »
Wonderful post and wonderful story.

Ira

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:50:53 PM »
We surf with a bunch of Samoans. They are really great people, they have a zest for living life in the moment, and they love sports - https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/1/13/18181317/unsung-heroes-draws-attention-to-the-success-of-the-polynesian-community-in-football-ken-niumatalolo

Along the lines of what George said, the Samoan, Hawaiian, Puerto Rican and Kiwi surfers have zero attitude towards our Autistic surfers:

Bringing it back to GCA.com, it was interesting to hear how Tony Finau started playing Skins Games for big money, or rather money that he did not have. I could not help but think that John Kavanaugh would have been an easy target if he lived in Utah.  :D ;)
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

astavrides

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:13:43 PM »
Nice to hear, George. I didn't know there were Samoans in Pittsburgh. Tony does seem like a really good guy. I look forward to watching that episode of Feherty. Nice to see diverse backgrounds on tour. One of the golf magazines had a good article on the background of Jose de Jesus Rodriguez recently.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 05:08:45 PM »
I remember seeing a tournament he competed in when he was like 17 - it was a million dollar shootout in Vegas. He was featured quite a bit as a long hitting phenom and one who had forgone this amateur status to play in this is tournament. I was fearful that one day he'd be cautionary tale of kid who gave up on college to chase money and ended up homeless.

I was glad to see him resurface on The Big Break if only to see that he and his brother had a good head on their shoulders, and even happier to see him make it to the big time. And really happy when he didn't destroy his ankle running around at the Par 3 tournament.

While I'm not sure I'd recommend my son take that path, its nice to see that dreams come true and there are happy endings. (insert Robert Kraft joke)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »

When the Web.com tour stopped by Portland in 2014 Tony was the one player I followed. Happy to see that the hole he had in the short game has been mostly filled in. The stars of last two Feherty shows are my Masters outsiders picks. Nice to find out how he and his coached jiggered his swing for the Masters because of the ankle injury. As painful as that to watch, it was not the worst sports injury televised Monday.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 06:52:29 PM »
I was playing one day at Thanksgiving Point Golf Course outside of Salt Lake City with my dad and this crazy wind and rain storm started. We got inside as quick as we could since everything we owned was being blown away. When we were inside soaked and windblown, we looked out the window and saw two golfers coming up 18. I commented to the pro that those guys must be crazy. He assured me that they weren't, but that that was Tony Finau and that this hole was probably worth $1000. We watched as they hit their approaches and Tony won the hole. I immediately liked him. I figured anyone who had enough guts to be battling it out there in that kind of weather, was a guy who I could respect. Fast forward a few years and I start seeing this guy on leaderboards and recalled this day. I will always cheer for Finau. Lets hope he gets his Green Jacket in a few weeks.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 01:49:51 AM »
I have been to American Samoa and Western Samoa on a mission trip.  We coached American football on American Samoa and they were all starving to get off the island to play in college. Very motivated, disciplined kids.  I have coached 15 or so Samoans / Tongans (don't confuse them) in my career.  I usually say Polynesian as that is a safe term. They are either Christian or Mormon, but whatever they are they are committed to their faith and family. Wonderful culture and Tony Finau is another example of that.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 04:53:15 AM »
Tony has come a long way. His house on the golf course in the interview looked nice. Has anyone played that course in Utah. Looked really secluded in a canyon. Assume it is private.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Joel Pear

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
I watched the show and immediately thought, what a genuinely, good person.  Have been a fan of his for a while and will continue.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »
We surf with a bunch of Samoans. They are really great people, they have a zest for living life in the moment, and they love sports - https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/1/13/18181317/unsung-heroes-draws-attention-to-the-success-of-the-polynesian-community-in-football-ken-niumatalolo

Along the lines of what George said, the Samoan, Hawaiian, Puerto Rican and Kiwi surfers have zero attitude towards our Autistic surfers:

Bringing it back to GCA.com, it was interesting to hear how Tony Finau started playing Skins Games for big money, or rather money that he did not have. I could not help but think that John Kavanaugh would have been an easy target if he lived in Utah.  :D ;)

Can't a guy piss outdoors in peace? I've stood next to Tony, guys like that don't con guys like me. He exudes athleticism.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »
Tony has come a long way. His house on the golf course in the interview looked nice. Has anyone played that course in Utah. Looked really secluded in a canyon. Assume it is private.

Tim,

They filmed that episode at Victory Ranch where he is an honorary member, but he lives over the mountains in Lehi, not far from Thanksgiving Point.

I believe a few GCA'ers have played the course and you can probably find a course review in the search.

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 03:57:25 PM »
Thanks for the many shared stories, they are much appreciated. He said he likes to wear green to honor his mom, so here's hoping!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back