News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Vertigo in design, construction and maintenace
« on: March 25, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »
Ever had the nagging feeling when you stand on an exposed tee positioned on high with the wind howling that you’re gonna fall off the tee down a steep slope or that your bag will be blown off the cliff?
Well I was wondering that if this is what it’s like for the player what must it be like for guy on the dozer or the 360* or whatever actually building the tee in the first place or the guy on the mower who must cut it most days.
What are some examples of tees that have been abandoned during construction or later due to the fears of the builders or the maintainers?
Atb

Clyde Johnson

Re: Vertigo in design, construction and maintenace
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »
The first attempt at the 12th green at Enniscrone come's to mind...You can see the scar way-up behind the existing/finished. I'm not sure it was ever finished, but the existing one is pretty perched as it is.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:11:50 PM »

I am typically amazed at slopes and places good bulldozer guys can go without fear.

My closest design to that would have to be the 7th Tee at Colbert Hills, but it is large enough to relieve that feeling, I think.  Early enough in the round that golfers shouldn't have any artificial tipsiness. :)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »

The par 3 15th at Lookout Mountain. Probably use a fly-mo or a basic push lawn mower of 1950s vintage  I was not fully recovered from the lookout perch over the valley round the 11th green and probaby spent about 15 seconds total before I was back on the stairs. 
The par 3 11th at Monterey Peninsula (Shore) was okay.
They changed protocols for maintenance of the dune sides at Astoria G&CC.
The cartpath to #10 at Wente Vineyard must have been a *itch to build. Thank god it goes uphill, otherwise puts Lombard Street to shame.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:33:23 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »
I find that one some drop shot par 3s, especially if the tee box itself has a sheer drop, I am uncomfortable making a swing.

One that comes immediately to mind is the 9th at Quintero, where all the boxes are small and drop off immediately.

I'm not especially prone to losing my balance when I swing and in general I;m not bothered by heights. But I've definitely on multiple occasions hit poor shots due to a lack of conviction in the follow through when near the precipice of a steep drop off.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 12:41:55 PM »
There is not a snowball's chance in Hell that I would venture onto some of the tees at Old Head on a truly windy day. And it is a great question how they managed to build them.

Ira

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 04:16:42 PM »
I find that one some drop shot par 3s, especially if the tee box itself has a sheer drop, I am uncomfortable making a swing.

One that comes immediately to mind is the 9th at Quintero, where all the boxes are small and drop off immediately.

I'm not especially prone to losing my balance when I swing and in general I;m not bothered by heights. But I've definitely on multiple occasions hit poor shots due to a lack of conviction in the follow through when near the precipice of a steep drop off.

I have suffered bouts of vertigo, and like Matthew was unable to make a proper swing at Mountain View's drop shot par 3 (Boring, OR). I would wrap my follow through around my body, thereby closing the club face, and suffering the results. I should have gone back to the blue tee which was not on the cliff top edge.
I managed the drop shot ending the back 9 at Milton-Freewater, because the hole is so short all that is needed is a half swing with a sand wedge, and the tee was not set forward on the cliff edge. After hitting, I crept forward to see that I was on the dance floor before descending through the canyon to the lowlands. This hole would qualify for a topic "What is the most roundabout route from tee to ball?"

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

James Brown

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 09:29:12 PM »
Some of the tees at Cochiti Lake in New Mexico fit this description.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 07:40:17 AM »
Upper tier at Top Golf.

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 07:47:28 AM »

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 11:20:46 AM »
Upper tier at Top Golf.

this

seems very foolish on their part
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back