News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Soule Park (Bell? / Hanse / Wagner) - A Photo Tour!! - Hole 18 Posted
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 04:27:02 AM »
Thanks Mark.  

Lynn

I am not sure where my mate will stay, but he will likely want to play Wilshire while near LA.  

I don't think he will do 36 hole days (could be wrong though) because he wants to get in some touristy stuff as well.  Besides, he has no invite to Riviera or LACC.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

David_Tepper

Re: Soule Park (Bell? / Hanse / Wagner) - A Photo Tour!! - Hole 18 Posted
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 12:50:50 PM »
A family affair brought me to Ojai this past weekend and I played Soule Park for the first time yesterday morning. I enjoyed the course. It is certainly well worth the $40 weekend green fee.

The course has plenty of width off the tee and enough interesting features (blind shots, greens sloping front to back, cross-bunkers, humps, hollows, arroyos, etc.) to keep you engaged thru the round.

What really impressed me were the large, closely-mown green surrounds that were easily 10 or more yards wide in some places. I had no problem with the current routing of the course.   

A long weekend of public/muni golf at Soule Park, Olivos Links and Rustic Canyon would be a good one.         
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:40:36 PM by David_Tepper »

jeffwarne

Mark

The course looks interesting.  Thanks for the pix.  Do you think it is worth the drive from say the Wilshire area to have a go?

Ciao

Was just there, in fact the only rounds I played out west(though I did putt for an hour on Pebble Beach's putting green)
Sean you'd love it-stunning scenery and an interesting fun layout.
$14 on a Sunday afternoon-$12 on Monday afternoon(I came back)
What amazed me was how fast the greens were(very fast-easily three feet faster than Pebble)
I fear next is a cry for reshaping the wonderful and imaginative greens rather than maintaining a more reasonable pace.Which coupled with all the ball marks and inevitable poa made for some interesting "rolls"
make no mistake-the greens were very good-but the sheer speed highlighted every imperfection/deflection to the trickle, and have to be a bit over the top for most-and the greens are so well contoured it's simply not needed.

Also, the approaches were cut to about a 10 on the stimp, making chipping seem silly as they putted like any green(seems odd at a place virtually giving the golf away)
The downside of the low rates were the carts parked greenside, unraked bunkers, and countless unrepaired ballmarks-a tough combo with greens of that speed.
At least raise the cart rates ($10 after 3:00) to curb the cart traffic and abuse.
Spent some time with course operator Keith Brown(super nice guy) discussing some of the challenges he faced initially and what improvements he's made since taking over in 2017.

a really relaxing place
a heck of a value and I'd easily pay triple-I think the rack rate is $28
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:50:13 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

One of my friends who lives up in the Ventura area plays this pretty consistently. The price is right and as Jeff states the conditions suffer from golfer negligence which doesn't help the super.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Scott Weersing

Soule Park ain't no Rustic Canyon but it has a lot of great holes that you won't see anywhere else.

The routing may have been done by Bell but Hanse made lots of changes, like starting the course on the former 18th green. The number one tee is where the 18th green used to be.

The great greens make the course.

I haven't played it since 2007 as I moved from Ventura to Virginia Beach.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back