News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Arcadia Bluffs
« on: March 23, 2019, 06:05:33 PM »
For those that have played both, how would you split 10 rounds between the Bluffs and the new South course?

Mike Treitler

Re: Arcadia Bluffs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »
Cliff,

I have played the Bluffs about 10 times and the South once. 

I would split them 6 for Bluffs and 4 for the South course out of 10.

I'm a sucker for scenery though so take that for what it's worth.   Architecturally the south is every bit as good as the Bluffs, could even be more interesting from that standpoint,  but it's tough to beat the lake views and the incredible bluffs near the lake.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 05:14:20 PM »
Instinctively I think I'm 7/3 or 8/2 for the South. Far more interesting golf; the Bluffs is cartball with great views.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:51:16 PM »
Both courses are amazing and the South course reminds me alot of the Loop.  With that being said I would probably go 7-3 in favor of Arcadia Bluffs.  I am a sucker for scenery as well and the views of Lake Michigan are unreal.  The South is fantastic as well and my people would prob tell you 5-5 split.

Bottom line is to get there and you will not regret it.

Pure Michigan!
"Pure Michigan"

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
 Thank you for the comments. As it turns out will be playing both courses once around May 20.  Any expectations for the weather?

Peter Flory

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 01:23:25 AM »
For Traverse City, which isn't too dissimilar, on May 20th, the average high is 67 and the average low is 43. 

The record high is 95 and the record low is 28

George Freeman

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 01:59:12 PM »
IMO the South course (1 play) presents quite a bit more interest in the architecture department.  More options, more nuance, more to learn, more interesting greens (!!), etc.  It is a really cool course and it hits many of my personal preferences. 

With that said, AB (7-8 plays) is a very enjoyable golf course with SPECTACULAR views.  It's a tough walk and rounds take forever, but you can't separate yourself from your surroundings on a late summer evening, on a 300 ft bluff over looking the sun setting into Lake Michigan - and you get that view from MANY holes.  (I know, I know:  GCA.com blasphemy.)
If both courses were located in a Walmart parking lot, I would probably go 9-1 or 8-2 in favor of the South.  But they're not.  So I would probably go 6-4 in favor of the South.

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
You get the same sun-set, playing near the water benefit from Monterey and Bandon Resort.

I don't know why this would be a negative for Arcadia.  A nice view is just that whether its playing golf or chilling and knocking back a cold one...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:55:02 PM by Kalen Braley »

George Freeman

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
You get the same sun-set, playing near the water benefit from Monterey and Bandon Resort.

I don't know why this would be a negative for Arcadia.  A nice view is just that whether its playing golf or chilling and knocking back a cold one...
Kalen -  Who said it was a negative?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Craig Moore

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 10:45:20 PM »
Both courses obviously have a different identity architecturally so the debate will go on forever about which one is better but one thing is for certain...... with Jim in charge of the playing conditions both will be a blast to play! 
Enjoy them for what they are, enjoy discussion on which one you like better but more importantly marvel at the wonderful turf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back