News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

New Courses at Tara Iti
« on: March 21, 2019, 04:51:53 AM »

I came across this article in the NZ Herald last week when I was reading about the horrific terrorist attack in Christchurch.

It seems there are plans to develop two more courses at Tara Iti for public play.  I thought the article may be of interest to some.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12211717

Mark_F

Re: New Courses at Tara Iti
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 06:58:35 AM »
Thank God for the subtitles.  I couldn't understand a word he said.

George Freeman

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 12:51:58 AM »
Wow this is great news.  Sounds like a win/win for the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust, New Zealand, and of course all the golfers around the world. I'm sure we are 4-5 years away on the first course coming to life, but something to get excited about as I have been planning to go to NZ next year.  Now maybe I'll hold off a few more to do them all at the same time.  It was worded that C&C along with Doak would do the 2 new courses with what sounds like 1 each.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »
Wow this is great news.  Sounds like a win/win for the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust, New Zealand, and of course all the golfers around the world. I'm sure we are 4-5 years away on the first course coming to life, but something to get excited about as I have been planning to go to NZ next year.  Now maybe I'll hold off a few more to do them all at the same time.  It was worded that C&C along with Doak would do the 2 new courses with what sounds like 1 each.

Yes, we are each doing one course.  Bill had the first choice of property this time and I get the remainder . . . so, only four holes right along the water for my course as opposed to his, which is nearly all along the water after the first 3-4 holes!

But the good news is, the inland parts of my site are really dramatic, and those are the holes I'm most looking forward to building.  One of the short par-5 holes has something like a 20-foot-deep whirlpool contour to the right of the green.  I'm looking forward to pushing Ric's boundaries to let us build something really dramatic - like Pine Valley dramatic, if he'll go for it - though I do understand it's a resort and not a private club.

The other good news is, I hope it won't take nearly as long as you guess.  Ric wants to have time to enjoy it when it's done.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 02:51:36 PM »
Tom,
Great news for you and your team and for the C&C folks too. Well done.
Reference your point about holes near the water. It seems that sometimes the elevation of the immediately adjacent dune-line alongside the water/beach is such that the seashore views are actually quite limited (eg like at the OTM-9 at Rosapenna and some of the back-9 at Rosses Point). Is this Te Arai dune/beach area similar?
Also, sometimes further back from the beach the seaside views can be more significant as the inland area can be a bit more elevated this permitting greater sea views. Is this the case with most of your site? Satmaps - [size=78%]https://www.google.com/maps/@-36.163192,174.6305443,13z/data=!3m1!1e3[/size]
- seem to indicate that quite a bit of forestry work will be needed at this new site but I recall you mentioning that a significant amount of forestry work was also needed at Tara Iti.
Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
Thomas:

I've just posted a couple of photos of the site on my Instagram account @doakgolf.

They don't let you build within 100 yards of the beach, and as at Tara Iti, most of the land rises up enough that you have good views of the water as you move inland.  But half the holes on my course will be over the top of a big dune ridge, where the contours are much bigger and a couple of areas of dramatic mounding come into play.  My first two and last two holes are along the water; you also have prime ocean views from the 3rd tee, and from the 13th and 16th as they play down toward the coastline.  Bill's course will be much more "along the coast".

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 04:13:03 PM »
Thanks Tom.
Photos reviewed. Looks a wow site/location. Offshore island views available too, just like at T-I.
Atb

Greg Gilson

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 06:18:25 PM »

I wish all players & parties involved the best of luck & personally I cannot wait to see what these 2 talented teams can do at such a pretty location.

That said, I cannot help wondering if there is a market for these, presumably high end, public courses? Mr Kayne did not get where he is by throwing money away so I guess hes all over the numbers.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 07:32:35 PM »
If they have an "off-season" is only about three months long. Spent a truncated day there and the course is fabulous. Too bad I had to endure a 3 hr drive to Kauri Cliffs (which is a letdown in comparison), and night be a big loser as this evolves. The two resort courses will be successful as the area is a very reasonable drive from Auckland. I am guessing the courses will be mostly built to the south and west of the present course.

John Kirk

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 08:39:04 PM »
Congratulations!  An exciting project, with a familiar and inviting place to stay while working there.  Really great.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 06:26:24 PM »
something like a 20-foot-deep whirlpool contour to the right of the green

Tom, what's that?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
something like a 20-foot-deep whirlpool contour to the right of the green

Tom, what's that?

It's just a very unusual contour.  The approach to the green rises up onto a ridge, but at the same time, to the right, it drops off quickly and the lowest spot is an almost circular depression.  It reminded me of a whirlpool, so that's how I described it.  It will certainly not be the place you want to miss the green.

Neil Regan

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 12:08:15 AM »

Tom,

Is the “whirlpool” greensite anything like this ?

12th hole, Ballybunion Golf Club Old Course by Evan Schiller, on Flickr
©️Photo by Evan Schiller
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

MKrohn

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 07:58:45 AM »

That said, I cannot help wondering if there is a market for these, presumably high end, public courses? Mr Kayne did not get where he is by throwing money away so I guess hes all over the numbers.

Greg, I see you are in the travel business and given the success (well I presume it is) of BB/LF, will the courses in NZ not work as well?

I'm Sydney based but also ex Brisbane this seems to be a great option for a tour compared to the logistics of KI/BB.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 09:30:04 AM »
Neil:

It's a bit more removed from the green, on the approach, but yes it's the same sort of landform.  The difference is that it's relatively flat right around it for a little on all sides.

William_G

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 09:41:28 AM »
any updates?

can't wait to visit

cheers
It's all about the golf!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 01:54:31 AM »
any updates?

can't wait to visit

They are allowed to do some clearing and have done a good chunk of it.  However they are still waiting on approval from the NZ government Overseas Investment Office before any grading or shaping can commence.  Looks like that won't happen until the first half of next year, and then we can start in earnest.

William_G

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
any updates?

can't wait to visit

They are allowed to do some clearing and have done a good chunk of it.  However they are still waiting on approval from the NZ government Overseas Investment Office before any grading or shaping can commence.  Looks like that won't happen until the first half of next year, and then we can start in earnest.

thank you

and good on you
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back