News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Did anyone take photos of High Pointe?
« on: March 20, 2019, 09:05:00 PM »
In working on my routing book, I have been unable to find a good photo of the 13th green at High Pointe, which is like to memorialize.  I have it from the side, but not a good photo from straight on, or from behind.

If any of you might have such a photo in your archives, I would be excited to see it - let me know here, or by email.  Thanks!

Steve Lang

Re: Did anyone take photos of High Pointe?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:56:38 PM »
 8)  The steroidal potato chip green? 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 02:52:34 AM »
Tom,

Working on your "routing book"?  Is this, somewhat specific, book going to make it into the public domain and be available for purchase?

And apropos High Pointe .... is there a thread here on GCA that discusses its merits/demerits!?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 07:23:29 AM »
Do either of these help?
P1010244 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
P1010245 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 08:00:40 AM »
Thanks, John - I've seen very few photos of High Pointe.
And yours serve as an interesting 'Portrait  of an Artist as a Young Man'.
P

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »
John:

Thank you!  That’s a great start.  If anyone out there thinks they have a better one, let me know!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 09:37:13 AM »
Tom,

Working on your "routing book"?  Is this, somewhat specific, book going to make it into the public domain and be available for purchase?

And apropos High Pointe .... is there a thread here on GCA that discusses its merits/demerits!?

Colin:

I’ve always wanted to write about how I route courses, and I think the best way is using case studies of my own work.

The routing book (which will actually be two books due to its size) will cover the routings for all of my courses and how they came to be, using base maps and progressive routings for all of the courses, plus photos and text to help describe them.  There will be 8-16 pages devoted to each course.

It will be a very large format book (so the topo maps are big enough to read), and a limited edition.  It will be quite expensive, too, since it will cost a lot to print in fairly low quantity.  We will start taking pre-orders this summer and deliver the volume that covers the first half of my courses (everything up to and including St Andrews Beach) before Christmas.

There were threads about High Pointe many years ago, and Ran even had a profile of it (which was removed after it closed).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »
Did they have to remove the trees to plant the hops?

David_Elvins

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »
Look forward to the routing book, Tom.

I know a few people on here who have worked out where your routings went wrong and how you should have routed a better course at various sites.  Let me know if you need their contact details for help with the book. ;)
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 10:18:32 AM »
If you don't use the above photo for your routing book please consider it for your next book titled "How not to install cart signs".

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »
My photos aren't labeled and it's been so long, I would need some help describing the holes. But happy to post photos sometime if others (especially Tom) could provide commentary.

I visited High Pointe before I ever played in England, but it was a course I now could easily see at home in the UK.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 02:41:34 PM »
Damn, I was hoping it was for someone who was looking to restore and re-open the course.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »
Do either of these help?

Why can't we be honest and admit that is a picture of a horrible golf hole. That in no way represents the goodness of Tom's work.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 03:03:57 PM »
Damn, I was hoping it was for someone who was looking to restore and re-open the course.

I would not need any photos for that.  I still remember it like the back of my hand!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 03:51:10 PM »
John,

I gotta ask here, you trolled me well apparently...lol.  I've only seen a few pictures of High Pointe and those two by JM look terrific.

What gives?  Thanks!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »
I thought you didn't like to lose balls.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 04:30:51 PM »
JK,

Not sure if you ever got to play High Pointe, but that was a fantastic green complex and a terrific golf hole (there were a bunch of terrific golf holes there).

TS

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »
It depends if its a top flight ball or not.

So are you implying that forested courses or at least ones with lots of trees are horrible?  I'm guessing you would turn down a Pine Valley or ANGC invite then?  ;D

P.S.  It does look like there is some decent width there, but can't tell for sure..

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
JK,

Not sure if you ever got to play High Pointe, but that was a fantastic green complex and a terrific golf hole (there were a bunch of terrific golf holes there).

TS

Ted,

I had never played High Pointe but could say the same about Quail Crossing.

Tom Doak. Most improved architect of the new millennium.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »
JK,

TS

Ted,

I had never played High Pointe but could say the same about Quail Crossing.

Tom Doak. Most improved architect of the new millennium.

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

-Anonymous

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 06:11:15 PM »
Ted,

Was High Pointe a better course than Quail Crossing?

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
My photos aren't labeled and it's been so long, I would need some help describing the holes. But happy to post photos sometime if others (especially Tom) could provide commentary.

I visited High Pointe before I ever played in England, but it was a course I now could easily see at home in the UK.

I'd love to see the photos John, labeled or not!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »
Do either of these help?

Why can't we be honest and admit that is a picture of a horrible golf hole. That in no way represents the goodness of Tom's work.

It looks as if a solid hole to me. Plenty of room left off the tee, but that line leaves tougher approach over
the knoll in front of the green and green running away.  Right side off tee tight but get rewarded with better
angle and maybe a speed slot. Plus bunch of interesting pin locations.

Ira

Steve Lang

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 10:55:56 PM »
 8)  Weird to look at the back 9 there on google earth, view from may 2018 shows they've removed most all of the trees, won't loose any balls there... probably getting ready to farm some more hops...

I miss trying to get on and stay on 11th green
I miss the tree guarding 12th green
I miss fading tee shot down 13th fairway, I don't miss recovering from back left of 13th green or that back trap
I miss the 14th's upper tee box and flying one onto the hogsback fairway
I miss the shot down to the 15th green, where Ms Sheila rebounded off off a tree, onto the green and almost had hole in one in front of a 5-some of loud boys
I miss the tee shot down 16 and approach to that wide 16th green laying across the hill
I miss the run-on shot onto 17th when one could do it before firm and fast died

I miss heading back to the first tee for the emergency 9...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

AChao

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 02:10:16 AM »
Looks like a pretty interesting hole to me ... I've never played it ... but looks good from the pictures.

Do either of these help?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back