News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Architects and shapers who play left-handed and ....
« on: March 20, 2019, 03:26:33 PM »
Are there, or have there been, any architects who played golf left-handed and if so, is their work noticeably different to architects who play right-handed?
(Edit - note slight change to thread title re shapers).
Atb
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 05:58:22 AM by Thomas Dai »

Adam Lawrence

Re: Architects who play left-handed and ....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 04:59:10 PM »
One for Ian Andrew to answer, I think....
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 05:04:24 PM »
Brett Mogg, from Australia, is another.

But none of the famous ODG’s, as far as I’m aware.  Of course, Left-handed clubs were less common back then.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »
Mike Young is a lefty... I'd be interested to hear his take on whether being a lefty has an influence on his designs.

I play as a lefty... and, I can tell you firsthand that standing on the "other" side of the ball has an effect on how you see a hole or perceive a hazzard (excuse me, penalty area!).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:11:22 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 06:54:55 PM »
Let us not forget the greatest Lefty archy of all time!

https://philmickelson.com/design-overview/

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:01:25 PM »
I thought you were getting at something other than then playing influence...

I'll long remember my first architecture lecture at Uni:right and then left handers were asked to raise their hand. The split was about 50-50, when the population as a whole is closer to 85-15. The theory - which I'd never considered before - being that left handers were/are more creative.

I guess you still need the brain of an engineer, and the heart of a golfer!!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 08:25:48 PM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:48:28 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 05:56:04 AM »
When I raised the thread I was essentially thinking about angles and visualisations and draws and fades and the like rather than the idea of lefties being more creative so thanks for highlighting that aspect as well.
What about lefty-righty shapers?

Atb

Blake Conant

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 09:18:29 AM »
The split was about 50-50, when the population as a whole is closer to 85-15. The theory - which I'd never considered before - being that left handers were/are more creative.

A theory purported by a left-hander, no doubt...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 09:39:00 AM »
I thought you were getting at something other than then playing influence...

I'll long remember my first architecture lecture at Uni:right and then left handers were asked to raise their hand. The split was about 50-50, when the population as a whole is closer to 85-15. The theory - which I'd never considered before - being that left handers were/are more creative.

I guess you still need the brain of an engineer, and the heart of a golfer!!

Does anyone know whether any of the famous old architects wrote left-handed?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:48:49 PM by Ian Andrew »

Ian Andrew

Re: Architects and shapers who play left-handed and ....
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »
The most creative person I know in golf breaks one of the most significant rules in art.

He begins to sketch from the smallest detail out, refining constantly and slowly building the sketch outwards.
Most define a rough arrangement, or framework, before moving inward to add detail

It doesn't mean this is the magic wellspring of creativity.
It just means some minds work differently than others.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:01:36 PM by Ian Andrew »

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 07:09:44 PM »

Does anyone know whether any of the famous old architects wrote left-handed?

I don't know the answer, but if I was guessing at one: Tom Simpson?

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
A theory purported by a left-hander, no doubt...

Well the next theory was related to sexuality...! (I don't think he asked us to raise our hands for that.[size=78%])[/size]

Bryan Lawson was his name. His "Language of Space" book was particularly interesting: how people occupy social spaces, so how seating arrangements in pubs could influence how much money was spent etc. I think the connections between hospital design and recovery was a speciality.

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 09:12:58 PM »
Mike Young is a lefty... I'd be interested to hear his take on whether being a lefty has an influence on his designs.

I play as a lefty... and, I can tell you firsthand that standing on the "other" side of the ball has an effect on how you see a hole or perceive a hazzard (excuse me, penalty area!).
I dont think it affects how I route a course or design a green. 
I do think the largest factor between right hand and left hand golf is putting.  For instance, a pin located on the right side of a green falling from back to front with a shot hit 10 feet to the left would would give the right handed putter a putt that broke away from him and the left handed putter would have a putt breaking back to him for a definite putting advantage...so IMHO the same pin placements vary in difficulty for left handed and right handed putters...that's the biggest difference...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 10:34:08 PM »
That’s true, Mike... but, the same is true throughout the course: a hole that calls for a fade off the tee for the right handed golfer is a draw for the lefty, and so forth. Which means the lefty is nearly always hitting at or away from exactly the opposite of what the righty is focused on.

It’s interesting to me that you don’t feel
your left-handedness has an effect on your design decisions. I would have thought that it would.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike_Young

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 10:42:30 PM »
That’s true, Mike... but, the same is true throughout the course: a hole that calls for a fade off the tee for the right handed golfer is a draw for the lefty, and so forth. Which means the lefty is nearly always hitting at or away from exactly the opposite of what the righty is focused on.

It’s interesting to me that you don’t feel
your left-handedness has an effect on your design decisions. I would have thought that it would.
Michael,I just don't think most of us are as good as we actually think we are even when we think we are average and in saying that, I dont think most of us can control the ball enough to worry about moving it one way or another with driver and irons.  Not saying those shots aren't there as you describe.  But ask a caddy about caddying for a good left hander and a good right hander when he reads putts.  Caddies are used to reading putts for right handers. 

If it has any affect on my design it would be the fact that it makes me try to think as if I were right handed when working my way thru something...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:54 AM »
I play golf somewhat regularly with a left-hander who hits a draw.  He always complains that our par 3 16th favors right handed players because the green angles left to right around a pond.  He always forgets that the par 3 7th does the same thing in the opposite direction. 

I try to keep that in mind when a particular shot on a course is uncomfortable for me. 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 12:03:48 PM »

Probably not related, but I wonder which architects have best mastered the "left handed compliment" to other architects? ;)

(BTW, I think there was a thread on left handed compliments to architecture, like "Best Course of its kind....")
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back