News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Great greens that no longer exist
« on: March 19, 2019, 06:06:15 PM »
I’m sure this topic must have been touched on before but here goes:

I was just looking at Hutchinson’s 1897 book and saw a photo of the most magnificent looking green which was the old Hades green at Sandwich (the par 3 8th hole at the time I believe?)... anyway, this one is long gone and I wish it wasn’t.

There were a few good looking greens at the pre-Colt Portrush on show also.

What other great greens have disappeared? Mount Zion at Machrie maybe? The 13th at Dooks...

What else? Photos would make this thread all the better of course...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:08:03 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Tom_Doak

Re: Great greens that no longer exist
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:07:11 PM »
Sitwell Park

The 13th at High Pointe (and maybe the 7th and 8th, too)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 03:04:14 AM »
Must be others...

What about great greens that might have been erroneously changed / renovated / moved in recent years?

I know the 9th at Westward Ho! seems to be due to remain after a scare.

You could argue the old 11th at Lahinch although it’s still there for winter play.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 05:14:35 AM »
Not sure how 'great' the old version was, but didn't RLGC/Hoylake move a green (16th?) because it was too close to a road.
What about the original 16th at ANGC?
12th at Minchinhampton Old - original green within ramparts and extremely adjacent to the road.

atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 05:35:43 AM »
Not sure how 'great' the old version was, but didn't RLGC/Hoylake move a green (16th?) because it was too close to a road.
What about the original 16th at ANGC?
12th at Minchinhampton Old - original green within ramparts and extremely adjacent to the road.

atb

Colt's Royal, the seventeenth in the traditional routing, the first in the new Open routing. Regarded by Darwin as one of the greatest holes in the world.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:02:01 AM »
Though not done recently, there are several greens at ANGC that would fill the bill.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 10:19:32 AM »
The original "double punchbowl" third green at Yale is gone with a replacement that is inland off the pond.

Rick Lane

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »
The original Biarritz at CC of Fairfield, which now sits in the middle of the tenth fairway.   The original hole played from below the Redan 9th, at ground level, to a massive green on the scale of Yale's Biarritz.   Every time I go there, I stand on that old green complex and mourn and marvel at what fun it must have been to play.....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 12:55:23 PM »
There were a couple of greens at Biarritz that may well have been great!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Pat Burke

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 02:10:21 PM »
Seems the original 7th (now 16)
At Augusta would have been pretty amazing?

Peter Flory

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 02:18:19 PM »
I was just looking at Hutchinson’s 1897 book and saw a photo of the most magnificent looking green which was the old Hades green at Sandwich (the par 3 8th hole at the time I believe?)... anyway, this one is long gone and I wish it wasn’t.

There are so many wild pictures in that book.  It definitely gets your mind wandering. 

Mark_F

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 04:00:26 PM »
The 8th green at Peninsula South.  Obviously not a famous course worldwide, but a terrific green for a 525 metre par five. Angled, three tiers, if you were one tier above the pin you could use the contours to get close, but two tiers above you were finished.

Sadly obliterated due to the incessant whining of unimaginative eejits.

The 13th green at Peninsula North.  Inspired by the 4th at Woodlands, a perfect little green for a 325 metre par four.  Three tiered also, again widely despised by the unimaginative despite the rear teen being sparsely pinned.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 09:07:28 PM »
The old 8th green at Yarra Yarra might have belonged in this class ... and I might get to restore it eventually!

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 12:55:48 AM »
The original Biarritz at CC of Fairfield, which now sits in the middle of the tenth fairway.   The original hole played from below the Redan 9th, at ground level, to a massive green on the scale of Yale's Biarritz.   Every time I go there, I stand on that old green complex and mourn and marvel at what fun it must have been to play.....

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jim Nugent

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 10:11:20 PM »
7th at Olympic lake. 

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 06:44:43 AM »
Not yet NLE, but this may be the last full year to play to the lovely 14th green at Liphook. Work on the new routing is due to start this year and the 14th hole disappears as a result.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Ben Stephens

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 08:04:07 AM »
Not yet NLE, but this may be the last full year to play to the lovely 14th green at Liphook. Work on the new routing is due to start this year and the 14th hole disappears as a result.

Aww - when are they going to commence these works at Liphook? The changes are being made to avoid that dastardly crossing which is a positive and sometimes you have to make sacrifices

Another green springs to mind is the 16th at Augusta from the photos it looks a fascinating green.

From a personal point of view the old 9th green on the current par 3 course at Greetham Valley was a decent right to left sloping small green a bit like a mini redan now NLE and replaced by lodges.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 10:39:00 AM »
The 8th green at Peninsula South.  Obviously not a famous course worldwide, but a terrific green for a 525 metre par five. Angled, three tiers, if you were one tier above the pin you could use the contours to get close, but two tiers above you were finished.

Sadly obliterated due to the incessant whining of unimaginative eejits.

The 13th green at Peninsula North.  Inspired by the 4th at Woodlands, a perfect little green for a 325 metre par four.  Three tiered also, again widely despised by the unimaginative despite the rear teen being sparsely pinned.

Sort of OT, but frankly, with so many greens changing out to newer and better grasses, and most "saving money" by not consulting their original architect but using tractor guys from the grass company, I have seen many 3 tier greens like the one above ruined.  Typically, those sharp ridges dividing the sections get dragged out to a long constant slope, ruining the multi section design aspect and also creating a lot of un pinnable 5% slopes in the process.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 03:41:43 PM »

Who’s changing Liphook?  >:(

Ira Fishman

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »
The proposed changes to the 14th at Nairn seem sad and unfortunate.

Ira

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 07:52:53 PM »
"7th at Olympic Lake." 

Jim N. -

Yes, that was a good one. I once saw a pro (Larry Mize, I think) drive the 7th green in the Tour Championship and then 4-putt for bogey!

DT

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »
What were the original No 2 greens like before decades of top dressing and bunker splash changed them forever? Were they more like the ones at Pine Needles? :)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:33:54 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 03:44:05 AM »
The proposed changes to the 14th at Nairn seem sad and unfortunate.

Ira

+1

Tom

I assume Mackenzie and Ebert are working on Liphook.  You don't like the idea of a safe road crossing?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 05:58:33 AM »
I was quite fond of the 3rd at The Machrie...

I'd have loved to have seen The Dowie.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 07:13:51 AM »

Who’s changing Liphook?  >:(

Tom Mackenzie.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back