News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: 9th Hole at Clubhouse
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 10:04:17 PM »
Always interesting posts, Sean.
I don't need oceans, and certainly not mountains, and I care little about bunker styles or even the absence (or prevalence) of trees -- and yet I think I can understand how for you a great relationship between 'the house' and the course is a factor in deeming the course itself (not merely the 'club') great too.
It may be simply that I have a fondness both for you and for quixotic ideas (such as this one), but I do 'hear you' here.
P

Most people just call me a dumbass...so thanks.  Its no secret I am a staunch believer in the 1st tee and 18th green being very close to the house.  Having four starting points from the house (or a short walk away) is more than a little bonus.  The idea of choosing a loop based on available time is very appealing...which is why having an even 9 hole split for a private club is the least desirable of all splits. 

This is serious stuff...I quite a club over stupid number routing which created a few massive walks just for the sake of two nine hole loops.  The club could easily have had two starting points at 1 & 4 and lose the walks which incidentally reduced the number of crossings over a road when not long before someone was killed trying to make the crossing.  I finally got fed up and ditched the club full of backward thinkers.  It would be very different if the club offered 9 hole green fees, but they couldn't even figure that out.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Jeff Schley

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 12:08:52 AM »

Most people just call me a dumbass...so thanks.  Its no secret I am a staunch believer in the 1st tee and 18th green being very close to the house.  Having four starting points from the house (or a short walk away) is more than a little bonus.  The idea of choosing a loop based on available time is very appealing...which is why having an even 9 hole split for a private club is the least desirable of all splits. 

Ciao

Hey Sean.... can you explain a little more on the above.  By 4 starting points you mean 1/10 tee and 9/18 green?
Also the even loops for private clubs are not desirable why?  Thanks
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 04:36:30 AM »

Q to Tom: How many of yours have twin return nines?

19/35, not counting two par-3 courses.

5/7 out of those in the top 100 rankings, though!  All except Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald.  Makes me wonder just slightly if my next-best courses (Tock Creek, Dismal River, St Andrews Beach, Stone Eagle) get knocked a point for not returning at the 9th?
I think it is a minus if it does not, because it is just convential. You have gained that minus back though in other ways because of that better routing. You are not really a soil mover, if you were and worked on duller sites you probably would see returning nines higher in the 'must do' list.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 05:06:20 AM »
There seem to be more shotgun start and multi-tee events occurring these days, although I'm no fan of them. Easier to organise with more tees near the clubhouse.
Not so easy to play a few holes after work or in the evening on an out-n-back layout when there's no place to turn and play back to the clubhouse as the back-9 is already full of players.
atb

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 07:05:45 AM »

Ciao

Hey Sean.... can you explain a little more on the above.  By 4 starting points you mean 1/10 tee and 9/18 green?
Also the even loops for private clubs are not desirable why?  Thanks

Jeff

By four starting points I mean at RC #s 3 & 6 are close to the house.  #s 1 & 16 are a short walk from the house.  The number of boozers loops one can play because of this routing is incredible and a huge boon for a private club.  I have never seen this type of routing before. 

Unless a club has commercial reasons for doing so, imo the 9-9 split isn't as useful as a 4-14, 5-13 or 6-12 split simply because three distinct "time loops" are offered whereas 9-9 offers only two "time loops".  I can fully understand public courses going with 9-9 split in most cases because of the green fee opportunities. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back