News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Reflections of a first-time visitor to California
« on: March 17, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »

San Simeon

I have to begin by saying that as an “I live in paradise” blowhard, I was very much humbled and awed by my trip down the California coast. Monterey Peninsula was baseline average scenery, the Pacific Coast Highway was like flying a helicopter over Hawaii, and throwaway segments such as Santa Maria to Santa Barbara (part foothills, part desert, part cattle farm) or the entrance to Simi Valley (which might as well have been the Grand Canyon) were simply dazzling to this Yankee.

Pacific Palisades

Yes, it’s true that the always coastal, mostly liberal, formerly elite Mr. Moore had never been to California. My excuse is that for the first fourteen years of my life I spent July in Victoria, B.C. visiting my grandfather, so I get it – the stucco, the wealth, the utter desiccation, the mountains erupting out of the ocean, etc. But after being invited to California over and over again, and after hearing about it from my friends, my family, The Grateful Dead, Alfred Hitchcock, Anna Deveare Smith, Circle Jerks, The Beach Boys, The Showtime Lakers, Todd Haynes, Joni Mitchell, Wolfgang Puck, The Eagles, NWA, T.C. Boyle, Steely Dan, Joan Didion, and dozens of other artists, it was finally John Steinbeck’s East of Eden that pushed me over the edge.

“Every petal of blue lupin is edged with white, so that a field of lupins is more blue than you can imagine. And mixed with these were splashes of California poppies. These too are of a burning color — not orange, not gold, but if pure gold were liquid and could raise a cream, that golden cream might be like the color of the poppies. When their season was over the yellow mustard came up and grew to a great height. When my grandfather came into the valley the mustard was so tall that a man on horseback showed only his head above the yellow flowers. On the uplands the grass would be strewn with buttercups, with hen-and-chickens, with black-centered yellow violets. And a little later in the season there would be red and yellow stands of Indian paintbrush. These were the flowers of the open spaces exposed to the sun.”

Without further ado –

PEBBLE BEACH GOLF LINKS

Do I have friends? Yes. Do I have friends who want to meet up at The Lodge in the service of guaranteed tee times? I do not, so I have to ask . . .

What kind of experience is this, where maximum-handicap golfers slash it around in five hours and thirty minutes at one of the hardest courses in the world? Where some even quit after thirteen holes to kick back and enjoy the cart ride and have their picture taken twenty more times? I was completely unprepared for the theme park aspect of this resort, where a huge number of guests make repeated 150-yard round trips from cart path to golf ball, finally returning to the shopping mall from which they started. You want Pebble, you got Pebble, and I was put into the 12:20 slot with . . . some older folks . . . from a distant land . . . who apologized to me even before the round started for what was about to happen and practically flayed themselves in remorse on the eighteenth green.

It’s true that when I am asked to wait in the third spot of the express line at the supermarket I look like a complete dick, and I suppose there is no way to mask this. And as one of my playing companions walked all the way across the second fairway to take three shots out of a fairway bunker in order to propel her ball into the adjacent fairway bunker, I started to get sick to my stomach, and I suddenly understood the following quote, which I knew was germane but had been puzzling me for a month.

“Directing is really three things. You’re editing behavior over time, and then controlling moments that should be really fast, and making them slow, and moments that should be slow, and making them fast.” – David Fincher, Hitchcock/Truffaut

There was indeed a wormhole aspect to Pebble Beach. I would wait and wait and wait and watch the others hit ten shots between my every one. I have never ever waited this long between shots, and when I got to my ball I would be like “Come on Michael, you’re at Pebble and you’re a hole and a half behind. Get in there and hit it!” I get it, it’s my own fault for showing up alone and having attention issues, but the discord between the eons spent gnashing my teeth versus the seconds having an anxiety attack over the ball before hitting it was profound. I did not play well.

As for the course, I knew that six and eight would be five-star holes, but I am going to throw three, four, and sixteen into that category as well. And nine, which I previously thought was just a long hole on the ocean, was not to be believed. So that’s six of the best holes you will ever play, added to the very fine second tier of one, two, seven, ten, thirteen, and eighteen. That adds up to two thirds of the course, so I am not going to split hairs when I gush about the extraordinary golf at Pebble, especially when it turns out that half of the “inland” holes offer a spectacular view of the ocean.

Eight, nine, and ten (!)

I will be thinking about all of the heroic shots on the course, a few of which I actually pulled off, until the next time I play it. When Ran Morrissett came to visit me in 2017, he asked a great many questions, and one of them was “what course that you haven’t played would you most like to” and I was like “ahhh . . . errrr . . .  Pebble Beach.” Is that so wrong?

PASATIEMPO GOLF CLUB

As Verne Lundquist once opined, “Oh, wow!” This was clearly the highlight of the trip, and her countless subtleties are difficult to write about. All I knew going in was that this would be my introduction to Alister MacKenzie – I did not know that is was a residential course, nor that the back nine would outshine the eye-popping front, nor what was in store for me as I crested the hill on thirteen –

Are there better par-threes anywhere? Especially on the front, the diversity, green contours, and visual appeal of the short holes may be the best I have ever seen. And speaking of contours, if there are any topologists out there, what is the name of the shape of the eighth and eleventh greens, which are just twisted planes, high front left and rear right, low front right and rear left. What is that like a tesseract or something? In any event, I suspect that this might be a Mackenzie trademark, and putting through these contours was thrilling.

Those high features at the front of the aforementioned greens, which greatly help a marginal shot and greatly harm a slightly worse one, are repeated at the right of the second, the left of the sixth, and everywhere on the fifth. Mounding near the green has rarely been so integrated and strategic.

Fifth hole - 190 yards

Finally, the unmaintained areas, the view from the first tee, the clubhouse, and especially the secret clubhouse with live music on Tapas Tuesday are all just so. I commend Pasatiempo for welcoming visitors at for a plausible fee and I will join if Henry attends college within a hundred miles.

OBSERVATIONS

1. The tap water in Los Angeles was delicious, and it was pretty bad elsewhere.

2. Rustic Canyon was great fun, despite wondering if Tuco Salamanca was going to emerge over the horizon and slit my throat. The angles and the greens were as advertised, and I loved one, three, ten, thirteen and fifteen. I did have a couple of putts that slid back and forth down a trough like a child at the water park, but that’s all good, and I gained a new appreciation for my home course with its flat lies and good greens. I played behind a foursome from the California Lutheran University team who all hit it 310 yards, proclaimed “God damn it!” and “Jesus Christ!” throughout the round, then drove off in a gigantic Mercedes, which is not how I remember my undergraduate years.

Sixteenth hole - 479 yards

3. Spanish Bay is a true feast for the eyes, and features eighteen terrific and fairly well-integrated greens.  Yes, the difficulty and awkward carries are piled high at seven, twelve and eighteen, but this is a perfect course for letting your guard down a bit and spending the afternoon with actual golfers by the ocean.

4. The liquor stores in Santa Monica sell laundry detergent, t-shirts, socks, and many other supplies for the substantial itinerant population.

5. The Mexican food was delicious at every price point, and the goat, which is generally not on the menu at home, was sublime.

6. San Francisco Chinatown was just as dingy and chaotic as the ones back home, and I took all my meals there.

7. The vibe at Harding Park was outstanding – I had a great group that did not shut up the entire way around, and there was a rambunctious lunch afterwards. The whole day reinvigorated my substantial commitment to municipal golf.

8. In-And-Out Burger, the single, was not good and I did not care to explore any other west coast burger chains.

9. The beach volleyball infrastructure and level of play was yet another pleasant surprise.

10. The collection at the Getty Center was not my thing but it is one of the most exciting public spaces I have ever been to. I leave you with a photo I saw there, Golfing at Le Toquet by Norman Parkinson, which currently hangs in my dining room.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Colin Macqueen

Re: Reflections of a first-time visitor to California
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 04:59:25 PM »
Michael,

A wonderful and refreshing write up!   Interestingly you covered very much the same clutch of golf courses that I explored on my one and only visit to California.  I enjoyed it very much as well.  In regards to John Steinbeck it was Cannery Row that was one of the Steinbeckian images that'd intrigued me but I understand how East of Eden prompted you.  My stay in Pasadena was great fun and the Getty was simply extraordinary.

Thanks for the stirring of my memory bank. Yes, [size=78%]America CAN be great![/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Cheers Colin[/size]
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John Emerson

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
I’ve been to California many times and I’m never not in awe regardless if I’m playing golf or just visiting.  It’s hands down the best place in the USA I’ve been and I’ve been to 34 states.  It just never gets old to me.  Nice write up!
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Mike Bodo

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 08:21:06 PM »
Here, here! Great summary and read of your trip, Michael. I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt myself being transported from my family room to the California coast. I may have you and Gib write my biography for me when I'm dead and gone. I enjoy and appreciate both of your writing styles.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Peter Flory

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 11:01:40 PM »
That Pebble round sounded excruciating.  I commend you for actually finding enjoyment in the course and the views.   

Great writing by the way. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
Never trust a man who orders a single. Has the view of the driving range net on the first at Pasa been removed?

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 12:02:36 AM »
Michael M. -

Great write-up & report. Glad you enjoyed your visit, especially your round at Harding.

DT

(SF resident for 47 years ;) )
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:56:54 AM by David_Tepper »

Neil Regan

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 12:30:19 AM »

And speaking of contours, if there are any topologists out there, what is the name of the shape of the eighth and eleventh greens, which are just twisted planes, high front left and rear right, low front right and rear left. What is that like a tesseract or something? In any event, I suspect that this might be a Mackenzie trademark, and putting through these contours was thrilling. ...

Michael,

Such shapes could be considered as variations of Saddle Surfaces.
See wiki for a start.
“...the hyperbolic paraboloid z = x² - y²
 (which is often referred to as "the saddle surface" or "the standard saddle surface")”

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 06:49:25 AM »
Well done oh favourite Maineiac, Mr. Michelangelo Moore.  Excellent precises of not always perfect venues, but nicely crafted Mona Lisa half smiles for all of them.

Tivh
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 10:50:05 AM »
Did you take Highway 1 all the way up?

Awesome stuff!

P.S.  As a native Californian myself, I never understood the In-N-Out burger popularity either...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:57:22 AM by Kalen Braley »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 11:15:49 AM »
This thread brought to mind my bittersweet experience living for in SoCal for two years and the many visits I've made to the state over four decades.  If there is a spot on this earth more blessed and advantaged by nature in nearly every aspect than CA, I've not found it.  A great place to visit, but if you don't already have roots there, it is very difficult to set them.  An interesting social laboratory to be sure.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:48 PM »
Nice report.  Surprised by the comment about drinking water - the Hetch Hetchy supply in San Francisco must have declined in quality.  It used to be top shelf. 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 03:24:49 PM »
I've spent the last week up and down the coast. I'm often most shocked to find myself the most angry man in the room. I guess I just need a good dose of fresh manure to cleanse my sinuses. I miss those little green apples and the farm. Specifically, those beautiful farting cows.

Matt Dawson

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »

And speaking of contours, if there are any topologists out there, what is the name of the shape of the eighth and eleventh greens, which are just twisted planes, high front left and rear right, low front right and rear left. What is that like a tesseract or something? In any event, I suspect that this might be a Mackenzie trademark, and putting through these contours was thrilling. ...

Michael,

Such shapes could be considered as variations of Saddle Surfaces.
See wiki for a start.
“...the hyperbolic paraboloid z = x² - y²
 (which is often referred to as "the saddle surface" or "the standard saddle surface")”

Yes I concur. Otherwise known as the Pringle crisp shape

Popular in architecture too...

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/sports/olympics/pringle-shaped-cycling-track-is-attraction-at-the-games.html

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 09:52:54 PM »
 8)  Loved the travelogue, makes me want to return to the golden state...

So I'm wondering how deep into Chinatown did you penetrate?  Did you walk thru any kitchens to get to dining room upstairs?

No sour dough comparisons?

Redwood Forest adventures in Santa Cruz?

San Simeon musings?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 10:05:27 PM »
No sour dough comparisons?

Steve L. -

Sadly the sourdough on offer in SF these days is a pale shadow of what it used to be. With the exception of Boudin, most of the old-school, once independent French/Italian bakeries have been acquired over the years and the quality of what they have on offer, if they are even still baking sourdough, has gone down hill.

The sourdough served at the Tadich Grill, which is custom-baked for them, is still very good.

DT

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »
 8)  Dave T,

So sorry to hear that the SF sour dough culture has died off, lived about 8 months there in 1976-77, many fond and blurred memories... bay to breakers and north ...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 04:51:05 AM »

9. The beach volleyball infrastructure and level of play was yet another pleasant surprise.

Adding in the Surfers too:

Pacific Beach, San Diego, California - Home of Paskowitz Surf Camp
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jeff Schley

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 06:22:00 AM »
Some shared observations that made me chuckle as I lived there for 10 years (so cal).  However, an entire write up without any mention of how bad the traffic was? Are you sure you went? ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Rich Goodale

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 01:19:38 PM »
I lived for c.80% of my young adult years in the Bay Area from 1964-1987, and upon arrival my thoughts went daily from WTF???!!! as a college student through getting a proper and challenging job and then going on my own until that honey pot began to fade away for me.

When I left it was an amicable separation from my environment, and a bounce from there to Florida and then to Scotland and marriage and a family segued well.  Since then, me and my family have visited the Bay area often, firstly for a two year secondment for my wife, right around the Miliennial, and then all had changed, changed utterly, and the change was not a pretty one.

The icon to us in this post-Millenial era was and continues to be the day that my wife and I wandered down Market Street at high noon towards the Bay only to see across the street a healthy young man, clean and dressed in preppy clothes and injecting himself upon a slab of concrete.

The golf is still great, but over-tweaked and ridiculously over-priced.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Rich

Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Matt Bosela

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »

Michael,

This was a wonderful read - informed, yet wry and witty.

Please write more!

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 06:27:05 PM »
I lived for c.80% of my young adult years in the Bay Area from 1964-1987, and upon arrival my thoughts went daily from WTF???!!! as a college student through getting a proper and challenging job and then going on my own until that honey pot began to fade away for me.

When I left it was an amicable separation from my environment, and a bounce from there to Florida and then to Scotland and marriage and a family segued well.  Since then, me and my family have visited the Bay area often, firstly for a two year secondment for my wife, right around the Miliennial, and then all had changed, changed utterly, and the change was not a pretty one.

The icon to us in this post-Millenial era was and continues to be the day that my wife and I wandered down Market Street at high noon towards the Bay only to see across the street a healthy young man, clean and dressed in preppy clothes and injecting himself upon a slab of concrete.

The golf is still great, but over-tweaked and ridiculously over-priced.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Rich

for a second I thought you were going to cite the conditions in North Beach and the passing of Carol Doda...
The voice of Inverness"

Rich Goodale

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 06:38:12 AM »
...sic transit Jimmy Ferrozzo....

"A bizarre death occurred at the Condor Club in November 1983. Bouncer Jimmy Ferrozzo and his girlfriend, exotic dancer Theresa Hill, decided after hours to have sexual intercourse on the famous white piano on which Carol Doda made her entrance, being lowered from the ceiling by cables. They accidentally hit the "on" switch, and the piano rapidly rose to the ceiling, trapping the couple. Ferrozzo was asphyxiated, while Hill survived only because she was thinner than her companion.[/size][6]"[/font][/size]
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Michael Moore

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 11:00:59 PM »
Thanks for the kind feedback. As for your inquiries -

Yes, the driving range net is still there at Pasatiempo. John, you know I love your attention to detail and even more so I love your disdain for solo and hit 'n' run golf. I have to admit there is something truly missing when you combine the two.

I took Highway One from San Francisco to Pismo Beach. I hope to do it northbound some day. Some of my friends told me they refuse to travel the Pacific Coast Highway on the outside lane.

Steve Lang, your questions about San Simeon and the redwoods once again exhibit the dangers of the hit 'n' run itinerary. I was too busy driving and playing golf to do much else, and I am about to do it again in Ireland. It really seems like these trips are golf only, which is sad. As for Chinatown, I tried to be a good tourist by asking the Chinese concierge at my hotel where to eat, and she said R&G Lounge or House of Nanking, and I'll be damned if those weren't the two most Yelpified joints in the whole town, with crackers lined up around the corner. So I did indeed eat at some less reputable establishments, and it was great.

As for cost of housing in California, all I can say is that propositions 58 and 193 are indistinguishable from feudalism.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:03:54 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »
Mike,

I have to ask here, how do these two relate.

Avoiding reassessment on property transfers between immediate family members for primary residences and up to $1 mill on secondary properties.

vs:

Nobility held lands from the Crown in exchange for military service, and vassals were in turn tenants of the nobles, while the peasants (villeins or serfs) were obliged to live on their lord's land and give him homage, labor, and a share of the produce, notionally in exchange for military protection.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back