News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Mission Statement
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 04:15:31 AM »
I have no time for slow play but as to compulsory foursomes play - ie alternate shot - well ............
Image playing this format in your one and only round at TOC and it's the other guy who gets to tee off on the 1st and the 11th and the 17th!
Or again, imagine your one and only round at CPC and it's the other guy who gets to have his photo taken actually teeing off on the 16th!
And vice versa in relation to the other guy if you're the one who's fortunate/smart enough to get to play the famous shots.
Plus, if your playing it properly, with the non-hitter 'walking on' to where the other guys shot is likely to finish, well you only get to chat to one of your playing partners.
Greensomes now, where you both tee-off and then choose which ball to play the rest of the hole with, that's another story altogether. A format that isn't played enough IMO. Quicker than 4bbb but with more tactics and strategy than foursomes and you get to chat to all you playing partners too.
atb

Matt Dawson

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 04:48:58 AM »
I have no time for slow play but as to compulsory foursomes play - ie alternate shot - well ............
Image playing this format in your one and only round at TOC and it's the other guy who gets to tee off on the 1st and the 11th and the 17th!
Or again, imagine your one and only round at CPC and it's the other guy who gets to have his photo taken actually teeing off on the 16th!
And vice versa in relation to the other guy if you're the one who's fortunate/smart enough to get to play the famous shots.
Plus, if your playing it properly, with the non-hitter 'walking on' to where the other guys shot is likely to finish, well you only get to chat to one of your playing partners.
Greensomes now, where you both tee-off and then choose which ball to play the rest of the hole with, that's another story altogether. A format that isn't played enough IMO. Quicker than 4bbb but with more tactics and strategy than foursomes and you get to chat to all you playing partners too.
atb

Thomas

Imagine getting to play all those fantastic holes twice though.

I can't recall ever playing only 1 round of foursomes in a day. It's always a 36 hole day, and if you drove the odds in the morning you switch to evens for the pm round.

You would be surprised at the speed of play. Get going by 8.45 am in a good foursomes match, and you often find yourself back at the bar by 11.15am, wondering if it's a respectable time to crack open the Fleurie and chat away to your hearts content

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 10:08:26 AM »
atb

I do love greensomes as a format but actually find it can be as slow as fourballs.

Primarily because I spend half my time strategising/ debating / arguing over who should play the second shot.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »
DD,

Thank you for the clarification.  I was under the impression 4 somes were more mandatory in nature to get as many paying tourists on the sheet without any undue delay on the course.  If they allow you to go off in a two person two ball two I guess that isn't a bad alternative....unless its a quad buddy trip and you all want to play together...

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »
Mission statements at most clubs are as transient as the committees and boards that invent them.

It is the truly well-managed clubs - usually golf clubs, not "country clubs - that stick to their vision.
Coincidentally, these are also (probably) the clubs with a greens committee of 1-5 members, a chair who is involved for 10+ years and a board that is well-aligned with prioritizing the golf course over most all other matters.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2019, 02:04:35 PM »
atb

Thomas

I can't recall ever playing only 1 round of foursomes in a day. It's always a 36 hole day, and if you drove the odds in the morning you switch to evens for the pm round.

You would be surprised at the speed of play. Get going by 8.45 am in a good foursomes match, and you often find yourself back at the bar by 11.15am, wondering if it's a respectable time to crack open the Fleurie and chat away to your hearts content

Well said! 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2019, 02:26:45 PM »
Every problem in golf has in its root core selfishness. Is anyone really complaining about how they get to play the great courses in the world? It's like staying the night in the White House and not getting the Lincoln bedroom.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
atb

Thomas

So yes, it is very often a 36 hole day, so it is actually much longer for the same amount of shots... I still dont get it.

I do get, and enjoyed a lot, the 4 ball in the morning and the 2 ball in the afternoon, like at the HCEG on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »
The first time I visited the Brandon Resort my first round was at Pacific Dunes. We played alternate shot where I teed off on the even numberered holes. Didn't miss a thing.

I was a last second fill in with a group that advertised that they had an opening on this site. It seemed perfectly natural at the time.

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 07:53:26 AM »
atb

Thomas

So yes, it is very often a 36 hole day, so it is actually much longer for the same amount of shots... I still dont get it.

I do get, and enjoyed a lot, the 4 ball in the morning and the 2 ball in the afternoon, like at the HCEG on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Its simply another form of the game...thats all.  Some people like it, the vast majority don't.  I don't see much point in 4somes twice around unless there is a large lunch involved and plenty of daylight.  Its different and can be fun a few times a year if the weather cooperates.  Bottom line, sometimes when you get invites to these 2ball clubs its do it their or hit the highway.  Seems reasonable to me.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Ira Fishman

« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »
What would be the Mission Statement for your ideal course?

Ira

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2019, 12:20:06 PM »
Keep up and shut up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back