News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Links vs. Heathland
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 11:03:54 AM »
So if i'm understanding this right, it sounds like Heath and Moorlands are what they are today in large part due to being managed aka manipulated thru unnatural methods and use cases.

Seems to be a bit of an opposing M/O to the Coul Links situation where the preference is hands off...

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:09:39 AM by Kalen Braley »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 12:26:24 PM »
So if i'm understanding this right, it sounds like Heath and Moorlands are what they are today in large part due to being managed aka manipulated thru unnatural methods and use cases.

Seems to be a bit of an opposing M/O to the Coul Links situation where the preference is hands off...

Yes, but over thousands over years.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 12:35:38 PM »
I'm loving the love for Golspie.  By the way, I'll be on site from May 1 to May 26 if anyone is interested in a game.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »

Yes, but over thousands over years.

Makes sense Adam,

I guess golf was just unlucky to only have a few hundred years of building in dunes/sandy sites on thier resume...as opposed to a few thousand years.

A real pity...

Matt Dawson

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »
Most links, being coastal, are pretty much playable with good ground conditions 12-months
Are links really playable throughout winter, though, Thomas?
I've played quite a few which have you drop the ball in the semi-rough from November onward.  Or does that just add another (interesting) dimension to them?
When I was at Oxford last year, I played tons of winter golf throughout the southern UK. In my experience, the southern links (i.e. Sandwich, Deal, Rye, Porthcawl) were consistently in better condition during December-March than the Surrey heathland courses. There are exceptions of course. Sunningdale is in top nick pretty much all the time. But many of the heathland courses can get boggy during that time of the year, and their greens don't hold up as well. On the other hand, Rye and Porthcawl are both considered by many to be in their best condition during the winter, particularly Rye.

Rye was absolutely flawless last weekend. Perfect amount of run. Can't even imagine trying to play it in August after a dry summer.

Funny, I read Ryan's comment last night just as I arrived home weary after about 30-odd holes at Rye, zig-zagging across the Jubilee & Old as I saw fit.

It was/is indeed in superb condition, greens rolling like glass whereas most courses are pretty soggy this time of year.

I love the heathland, and play most of my golf there. But there is something unbeatable about a brisk day on the links. Perhaps not in August though, it's a little too fiery for my taste

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back