News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Dan Jenkins RIP
« on: March 08, 2019, 01:35:34 PM »
" His Ownself"   https://www.golfdigest.com/story/his-ownself-dan-jenkins-1929-2019-tribute-dies-at-age-89

Geoff Shackelford reflects:https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2019/3/7/rip-dan-jenkins

One my favorite Jenkins stories, still relevant today is " The Perfect Driver" in his collection of short stories, " Fairways and Greens"

Also, his Masters stories:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/augusta-jenkins-highlights
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:38:48 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Hendren

Re: Dan Jenkins RIP
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 02:11:53 PM »
No doubt the American flag is at half-mast in Corbett, TX where former Comet grid-iron legends Dicky Don Tooler and Ricky Ron Tooler bow their heads in sorrow.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:22:04 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
So many hours of wit and wisdom. A true member of the Pantheon.

Ira

Bill Gayne

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:19:16 PM »
I think about Dan Jenkins peer group of southern sports writers that included Jesse Outlar, Edwin Pope, and Furman Bisher and it's the end of an era. Now it seems the goal of the columnist is to become a talking head on an ESPN shows such as Around the Horn or PTI rather than writing three or four columns a week and filing a column immediately after a game. There's always been great sportswriters throughout the country but it was something special when this group of southern columnist wrote about college football. It was more than the game because it was the culture and it came through in the writing. Back in the 70s as a sports obsessed child I subscribed to the Sporting News and SI. I read every word front to back and the best was the coverage of southern football. Along with on air personalities such as Keith Jackson, Chris Schenkel, Frank Broyles, and Lindsey Nelson they developed in me a love for sports in particular college football. I feel privileged to have been able to enjoy these guys in their prime.

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 11:35:40 PM »
 8)  Dead Solid Perfect, RIP Dan Jenkins
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:10:56 AM »
“Golf is a mental disorder like gambling or women or politics.”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 08:08:03 AM »
I think about Dan Jenkins peer group of southern sports writers that included Jesse Outlar, Edwin Pope, and Furman Bisher and it's the end of an era. Now it seems the goal of the columnist is to become a talking head on an ESPN shows such as Around the Horn or PTI rather than writing three or four columns a week and filing a column immediately after a game. There's always been great sportswriters throughout the country but it was something special when this group of southern columnist wrote about college football. It was more than the game because it was the culture and it came through in the writing.

This is true, but it’s because it’s the only way a golf writer can earn a living now.  Newspapers don’t pay a salaried golf writer anymore, they just pick up the AP story on the tournaments, and someone’s syndicated column.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 08:53:01 AM »
This is true, but it’s because it’s the only way a golf writer can earn a living now.  Newspapers don’t pay a salaried golf writer anymore, they just pick up the AP story on the tournaments, and someone’s syndicated column.

I'd say Alan Shipnuck, John Steinbreder, and Michael Bamberger are exceptional exceptions to that rule. They are all throwbacks of sorts.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 11:03:35 AM »
Loved the picture the NYT used, showing Jenkins (circa 1970) holding a Hogan 3-wood.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 11:13:34 AM »
NYTimes Obit:

Chronicler of Sports in Raucous Prose

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/obituaries/dan-jenkins-dead.html
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:18:39 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
His daughter, Sally, who as many of you know,  is a wonderful sports writer herself has a simply terrific column in the Washington Post. I would include a link if I knew how.

Ira

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 08:04:13 PM »

How is this possible? I don't know you, Ira, but you click links every day of your life. Or, are you quoting his ownself?

His daughter, Sally, who as many of you know,  is a wonderful sports writer herself has a simply terrific column in the Washington Post. I would include a link if I knew how.

Ira

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 09:25:36 PM »
Jenkins picked up where Damon Runyon left off and every book made me laugh out loud. His “ownself” will be sorely missed.

David_Tepper

Tom Dunne

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »

McKellar Podcast #10: Lawrence Donegan dug up an interview that he and John Huggan did with Jenkins at the 2015 Masters. Well worth it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mckellar/id1411870767?mt=2

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »
I wouldn’t claim to be a big Dan Jenkins fan (particularly in recent years), because that wouldn’t be true — but will say this: His piece about the GOAT Invitational in the April Golf Digest is very, very funny — the funniest Jenkins piece I can remember, and the best thing GD has published (other than many good interviews) in years.

Find it here: [size=78%]https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-goat-golf-digests-greatest-of-all-time-invitational[/size]
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Bodo

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 11:44:56 PM »
I wouldn’t claim to be a big Dan Jenkins fan (particularly in recent years), because that wouldn’t be true — but will say this: His piece about the GOAT Invitational in the April Golf Digest is very, very funny — the funniest Jenkins piece I can remember, and the best thing GD has published (other than many good interviews) in years.
Amen to this! I used to love reading anything Jenkins put out in the  70's, 80's and to a lesser extent the 90's, but he sort of fell out of touch with the arrival of the new millenium and never quite regained the magic. That said, he was one of the preeminent golf journalists and writers of his time and as someone else pointed out, picked up where Runyan left off. Sad to see him go, as there aren't many of his ilk around anymore. ~sigh~
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back