News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Tyler Rae is posted New
« on: March 01, 2019, 02:48:21 PM »
 http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-tyler-rae/

Tyler Rae came into golf architecture at the worst possible time (2006) yet has overcome the downturn and challenges to carve out a nice niche for himself. The 33 year old has touched scores of projects to date and it takes smarts, desire, innovation and passion to prosper through such a bleak period of new course construction.

He started in golf in 1998, doing anything he could including the bag room, caddie shack and pro shop - you name it. In 2006 he met Keith Foster at Wilmington CC and that became his seminal moment for architecture. A stint with Coore & Crenshaw followed and I first met Tyler at the Dormie Club in 2010. Ultimately, he landed with Ron Prichard and as Ron winds down, Tyler is tending to their book of business.

Last year he very kindly joined us at Northlands CC, where they are making slow but steady progress in restoring Ross features to one of the game's most diverse, rugged sites. Northland's greens are so unique and devilish that wily veterans were missing the line on putts by 10, 15 feet because they couldn’t appreciate the pull toward Lake Superior. If the club executes his plan, the course will join my 147 list. Already on that list is Cedar Rapids CC,  one of my favorite restoration stories, where a moribund, featureless course ended up with Ross features that are as equally attractive as its river valley setting. The project was done at the bargain price of ~$700,000 (please refer to Vaughn Halyard's outstanding October 2016 Feature Interview for a detailed account).

When a project’s cost sounds reasonable, it is almost surely design-build. You hire the guy who is going to do the work and you cut out the fluff. Cedar Rapids transformation was helped by their superb, hands-on Green Keeper but that design-build model is the value proposition that Tyler brings to each project. Who can argue it’s not the best, most economical way forward? Tyler’s accomplishments bode well for the bevy of shapers and builders who will become the custodians of golf architecture in the coming decades and GolfClubAtlas will continue to do Feature Interviews with architects that embrace the design-build methodology in an effort to accelerate its acceptance.

In his "down time," what does Tyler do? He travels to see courses. Some of this month's Feature Interview was written in the Netherlands, part in Germany, and in a first … some was written in the Channel Islands! Details of that trip and his gleanings are included in this month's Feature Interview. Tyler has a voracious appetite for different places and their golf as borne out by the fact that he has seen over 2000 courses. We asked him for some travel advice, and if the Next Fifty still existed, Evanston CC in Illinois and Teugega GC in New York would be promptly listed.

Congratulations to Tyler for his success in a tough environment over the last 13 years - I look forward to seeing what he accomplishes in the next 13 years, fully expecting that his clients will get more than they bargained for.

Best,
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:24:11 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Thomas Dai

Re: Feature Interview with Tyler Rae is posted
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »
Thank you Ran and Tyler.
Some insightful comments into different locations, methodologies etc.
Interesting references to Philip MacKenzie Ross. Perhaps an architect who flies somewhat under the radar and thus doesn’t get the recognition he maybe deserves? (Although I found a nicely written piece about him by Jonathan Gaunt in an old edition of GCA magazine).
Atb

Chris Mavros

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 10:09:56 AM »
That was a great discussion.  Tyler's perspective on design concepts is always insightful. I've enjoyed the work he has done at Jeffersonville GC and now it seems I need to make my way to the midwest, as well as the 1912 Club.   

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 05:43:16 AM »
Ran & Tyler

Thank you.  Its always a joy to dig deeper into Ross.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:22:27 AM »
My perpetual home course, Jeffersonville GC, has benefited from Tyler's passion.

Ran,

We need to get to Jeffersonville together. It's a good candidate for your 148-9th Custodian.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 04:16:29 PM »
Thank you for posting your interview with Tyler, Ran.

As those of us lucky enough to be in attendance at the Mashie last summer, Tyler is an extremely interesting and knowledgeable golf mind. Tyler's work at Cedar Rapids is nothing short of spectacular and my hope is that he will be able to finish at Northland.
H.P.S.

Tyler Rae

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 07:55:42 AM »
All,

Thank you for kindly visiting the post and reading through the interview. Although I haven't met many of you in person, I feel as if I know most of you by name from my anonymous, daily visits to the discussion board over the last two decades! Like many of you, golf architecture is a deep passion of mine and I am very thankful Ran continues to give individuals like us a platform on this unique website.

With that said, the website wouldn't be worth visiting without the Member's knowledgeable, in-depth posts and continual personal contribution over the years.

Many thanks to Thomas, Chris, Sean, Kyle and Pat for the kind words and I hope more of you can carve out 30 minutes of your day to read the interview.

Kind regards,

Tyler

Tyler J. Rae
Golf Architect
www.TylerRaeDesign.com
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:58:35 AM by Tyler Rae »

Pete Garvey

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »
Congrats Tyler.  You've come a long way since our time together in Lexington.  Future is bright!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 05:47:41 PM »
I’m happy to report that Tyler and Ron will be restoring/renovating Beverly later this summer. I’m very excited about the anticipated redo, especially the 11-15 stretch.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 03:02:06 AM »
Nice interview, Tyler. Well done.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:59:35 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

George Smiltins

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 02:56:00 PM »
Teugega +1

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 06:00:44 PM »
I’m happy to report that Tyler and Ron will be restoring/renovating Beverly later this summer. I’m very excited about the anticipated redo, especially the 11-15 stretch.

Restoring/Renovating? What is the scope of the project? All new bunkers?
H.P.S.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 01:22:54 AM »
Great interview.  The knowledge and experience is remarkable.

I need to get back to J-Ville and Plymouth/1912 to see Tyler's work there firsthand.

I also need to pay attention to the Toomey/Flynn half pipe feature he mentioned.  Off the top of my head, 11 at Mannies sounds like an example.

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 07:49:29 PM »
 I call that feature a “catcher’s mitt”. 
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back