News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

Re: Painswick BUDA 2004 - Yes, it really was on TV!! (Clip attached)
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 02:03:22 AM »
I missed this BUDA because I had a heart attack (I know, what a paltry excuse) in February and so was still recuperating.  But I was able to attend one of Mike Sweeney's Creek Club charity outings for his son's school on Long Island.  We were talking about this and that and I confessed to him that missing the BUDA at Painswick meant "my life will be ever incomplete."  He adjudged that I had been bitten hard by the golf course architecture bug.

I am happy to say that I have journeyed to Painswick and played it with my hickories.  Alas, I still wasn't at the event memorialized here. 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 04:06:09 AM »
Ben - I am honored to know that you have been “following” the Clemson Tigers. The past ten years have been very special, and winning the National Championship two of the past three seasons has been amazing. I’ll bring a Clemson logo item for you to this year’s Buda!

Whitty you are Mr Clemson after all!

Baffled by the NCAA rankings which had put 'Bama above Clemson yet Clemson hammered the Crimson Tide at the BCS Bowl Champ.

Can empathise that as England thumped Ireland in last week's rugby yet overtook Wales in the world rankings despite the Welsh getting away with murder in Paris  ;D  despite being 16-0 down at halftime!

Hoping to see the Bears (who i have long supported since as a kid) at Wembley later on this year against the Raiders (Mack's old team!)

Steve Wilson

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 01:38:06 PM »
Ben,
In reference to rankings, they are only opinions. That's why we play the games.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 07:18:31 PM »
Ok, nice video. But who did design Painswick?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »
Ok, nice video. But who did design Painswick?

Ulrich

David Brown, 1891
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »
Thought you might enjoy this article by Robin about Painswick...

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:31 PM »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 04:59:40 AM »
Great find Mike. And delightfully written Robin.
atb

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 06:37:46 AM »
Nice to see this again. Back in 1997 I clearly didn't know how to spell 'millennium', but I guess neither did the editor at FORE!

22 years on I'm still proud of the piranha gag...

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Ben Stephens

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 07:20:54 AM »
Nice to see this again. Back in 1997 I clearly didn't know how to spell 'millennium', but I guess neither did the editor at FORE!

22 years on I'm still proud of the piranha gag...

The editor of FORE was Bob Warters a gentleman and has a huge knowledge of all things to do with golf however Bob is happily retired and playing garden bowls these days - he has the odd round of golf each year which is a shame.

Brian Finn

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2022, 09:54:40 AM »
Last night, I was searching Youtube for videos on certain courses, including Painswick, as I plan for an upcoming trip to England.  As I scrolled through a handful of videos by a few Youtube personalities (the Golf Mates video gives a pretty nice view of the course), I was surprised to come across 'Buda Cup at Painswick' posted by Mike Whitaker! I hadn't seen this topic first time around, so it was pretty cool to see some faces I knew and missed (Rich Goodale), as well as those of some I have read on here for years.  Anyway, as I read about the planning for this year's Buda (wishing I could join up), and plan my own adventures in England, this was a pleasant discovery late on a Sunday night.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jeff Schley

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2022, 10:03:10 AM »
This is so cool! Never knew GCA BUDA's had such a profile. Love the video and throw back dress for a throwback course.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back