News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Back in May 2004, what is now called the BUDA Cup, was held at the much-beloved Painswick Golf Club, in the Cotswolds. I was privileged to be the home team skipper and Rich Goodale held the reigns for the visiting Americans.

For a number of reasons it was a most remarkable event, but most remarkable of all is the fact that this BUDA Cup was TELEVISED! Not by an obscure internet blogger, but by both the BBC and ITV. Here's why...

At some point during the build up, the club came to believe that there would be two competing teams of golf course architects from the USA and the Rest of the World congregating at their little club, rather than two groups of golf course architecture enthusiasts. Now, to be fair, there were a few golf architects to be found. I was one of them and the Americans had the esteemed ranks of Renaissance Golf Design to call on, in the form of Tom Doak, Don Placek and George Waters.

So we turn up on the first day to be greeted by two film crews, eager to get some action shots for their evening news bulletins. Rich and I were pulled to one side and interviewed on camera. Rich gave some erudite and concise opinion, whilst i trolled out something so tedious and dull that I knew it was headed for the cutting room floor. So when the interviewer asked me how I thought we would do, I panicked and deliberately said something shocking, which ultimately proved to be (Basil) faulty, (although not on that particular day I might add). So I apologise now for any offence my comment might cause in the following clip. It was t(h)rash talk.

Anyway, to make matters even more bizarre, I was due off in the first fourball, so without any prep, or even a practice swing, I made my way to the 1st tee to be greeted by both camera crews ready to film our ascent of the mighty hill of the 1st at Painswick. I'd never been on TV before and now here were two film crews ready to film the first swing of the day in front of a packed gallery. You can watch the film to see what happened next...

Later on in the day I called my wife to get her to record the news bulletin on the VHS and so it was that the event was preserved for the historical record. I watched the clip when i got home a few days later, but from that day until recently it has been getting dusty amongst a box of old video tapes.

I told this story to Mike Whitaker, when he came over to play Painswick in October. He persuaded me to root out the tape and send it to him, so he could convert it to a youtube friendly clip. So, here it is, proof of the fact that the BUDA Cup was once on telly. Thanks Mike, this clip is down to you.

https://youtu.be/_HLlNgOjD4s

The weirdness didn't stop here. On Day 2, we were joined by Amateur golfing legend Peter McEvoy, who partnered me in an epic match against Rich Goodale and Tom Doak. Rich and Tom won 2 Up (I think) thanks to Tom's renowned short game skills and some truly incredible play by Rich from down one of the ravines. We had a bone-fide gallery walking around with us!

As a postscript I should add that the golf club treated us all like royalty for the three days, culminating in a gala dinner where we were feted with a poem written in our honour. If you visit the club today you can still see the amazing Dali-esque clock that Rich presented to the club in recognition of our gratitude.

It was a tremendous event and my first experience of the cameraderie of the GolfClubAtlas crowd. I doubt we shall ever see the likes of this event again, but it will never be forgotten by anyone who attended.

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Niall C

Re: Painswick BUDA 2004 - Yes, it really was on TV!! (Clip attached)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 07:28:31 AM »
Robin

Excellent. Just watched the youtube clip without sound so yet to hear the trash talk. Judging from the smile on your face it was clearly tongue in cheek. Two things, amazing how young everyone looks, and secondly, they obviously knew who the quality golfer was in your group !

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 07:55:15 AM »
Thank you Robin and Mike.  Great fun.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 08:16:09 AM »
Robin:

You have a generous memory for my short game abilities.  (You should see me now.)

My recollection of the match is that I contributed to our side mostly by helping to read Rich's putts - he shot 67 on his own ball - and by driving the 16th green.  But it was certainly one of the highest-quality matches I was ever involved in, and I've been in a few good ones.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:30:02 AM »
Robin,

Your swing looks beautifully dynamic in that clip.

How’s that knee of yours?

Ally

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:37:38 AM »
Tom

Being on the receiving end helped to engrave the memory. I have a mental image of you crouching down, intently lining up one of Rich's putt and thinking to myself that the two of you were really into this match. It was a good one, though I was resoundingly average that day. I still think Peter was a bit shocked to lose.

I also recall you pointing out the little trench that feeds a good drive towards the 16th green. I point that out to everyone when I go there and I'm sure I saw that feature in one of your approaches at The Loop. I could be wrong about that, but it occurred to me immediately.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:40:17 AM »
Ah yes! When I still had two good knees!

Still on crutches Ally. Titanium plates in my leg for the next 16 months. Hoping to swing a club again sometime this summer.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:08:46 AM »
Thanks for the memories, Robin and Tom.  Here are some of mine...

1.  The precursor to Painswick was BUDA 2003 at Dornoch and Brora.  Given that the hotel was the Burghfield, not much was remembered.

2.  Our visit to Painswick was inspired by Paul Turner's revelation to the GCA fraternity the existence of that Sacred 18 on this website.  Once I began to round up players, Robin joined in with the fact that he knew the venue and had played it often and had even written a published article on the place.  Paul joined and Tom signed up with George and Don then a Bill McBride signed in with his brother Bob as did a John Bernhardt as did a Darren Kilfara (BUDA 2003 veteran) and a Craig Disher and Robin's brother who also knew Peter McEvoy, and then a few early GCA posters including Ed Getka (the man responsible for herding the cats to the first President's Putter at Barona) and Andy Levett.  There were 23 of us and Painswick provided us with the top up to the necessary 24 for each of the 5 Ryder Cup games we were to play for the 3 days we were there.

3.  As Robin has said, the hospitality was tremendous.  The gala dinner after the second day was attended by 100 or so, and I made a speech of thanks off the top of my head and then then tone was elevated by an amazing poem made by a lady member for the day and then Mr. McEvoy told us what it was like to play with Jack Nicklaus on the Saturday and Sunday at the Masters.  Before the dinner Peter told me that our game with Tom and Robin was the first time he had ever gone to the 10th tee level and then broken 30 on the back nine and lost the match.

4.  We played all matches over the 3 days at scratch which we mitigated by matching people/pairs by comparable HCPs.  This was an interesting experience.....

Enough for now, but looking forward to other posts.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 09:30:34 AM »
What a fine collection of GCA’s studliest!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »
Tom

Being on the receiving end helped to engrave the memory. I have a mental image of you crouching down, intently lining up one of Rich's putt and thinking to myself that the two of you were really into this match. It was a good one, though I was resoundingly average that day. I still think Peter was a bit shocked to lose.

I also recall you pointing out the little trench that feeds a good drive towards the 16th green. I point that out to everyone when I go there and I'm sure I saw that feature in one of your approaches at The Loop. I could be wrong about that, but it occurred to me immediately.

Robin

The context of that putt was that I had birdied 8 and 9 to get to the turn level and then you and Peter and Tom halved 10 and 11 with birdies, by picking up a bunch of 3 footers on each IIRC.  12 is a 250 yard par 3 ("shorter" than 11 @ 246) but downhill all the way.  I fanned a 5-iron and then a sand wedge, ending up 25-30 feet right from the hole in two and Tom was out of it and you and Peter were closer to the hole to get a 2 or 3.  I asked Tom for a read and he asked me what I thought and I said "pretty much straight."  Tom smiled and pointed to a line 3 feet to my right.  I followed my Yoda and sunk the putt.  The match remained level and then you and I halved 14 with birdies and I got Tom and I one up by driving the 16th and getting a 3.  On the 17th, Peter put on his game face and took the "cut the dog leg out of the equation option" by driving over two roads and a cemetery to the left, ending up with a wedge to the green.  I fanned a drive and then stumbled a long iron to the back left of the green.  I got up and down, Peter missed and Tom and I were still one up.  18 is a short 3 and Tom and I missed the green.  Peter hit the middle.  I was pin high right in a gulley and managed a flop shot to 3-feet.  After missing his 15 footer Peter conceded.

A great golfer and gentleman he.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 09:47:14 AM »
Rich

You have an astonishing memory.  I can just about remember that it wasn't raining.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »
Wow!
What an impressive clip.

Another reason to drive right on by the domains of the tour buses
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 10:55:30 AM »
Rich

You have an astonishing memory.  I can just about remember that it wasn't raining.

Yeah, Robin, but it takes finding my reading glasses 10 minutes or so, 4-5 times a day!

Back to the video, massive props to you for carrying the road on the 1st tee and then sinking that long putt for the birdie.  I'm pretty sure Tom and I went down 2 on the second when I missed my par putt, after holding onto a tree in Cat Brain Quarry and chipping backwards to 6 feet or so.  Sic transit gloria Goodie....
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 12:31:07 PM »
Another reason to drive right on by the domains of the tour buses
This.
Thanks for the video. I confess I thought the whole Buda thing was a bit kooky until I went to one. Ok, it still is, but what a great way to take a golf trip. Much appreciation goes to the guys that organize these things. We have managed to have great hospitality at every venue, though the sort of reception Painswick provided likely cannot be equaled.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »
I love the shot of the tee shot on that blind par 3.  It captures the essence of the place quite well.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »
Who is the guy smoking the pipe?

Craig Disher

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 05:50:06 PM »
Thank you Robin and Mike for the video. I remember watching it that evening and was certain the Buda would become a national event with extended coverage in the years to come.  ;)
I recall that Delia Mason's poem stunned the room - at least I was stunned by the gracious gesture. I may have posted it a while ago but maybe not. If not, here it is:

In a big office block
on a big boardroom door
a big sign with gold letters read
World Head of Golf Course Architects
affectionately known as big Ed.
He was tough, he was warm
and his talent immense
he loved golf with a passion so strong
he believed that the course was the master
and no-one would prove his thought wrong.
So, he decided to act
on a kind of a whim
 go with - what he felt in his heart -
the ultimate golf course existed,
a course that should stand out apart.
So he set out a challenge
to Course Architects all -
"I don't know what you're looking for -
but there's one thing I do know for certain -
you'll know once you've played it - for sure."

Another day in the life of Course Architect -
Robin Hiseman sat - pen in hand,
sketching out long contoured fairways -
studying grass types and contours of sand.
He turned around and looked across at his emails -
"Another course rejected by Ed!
mmm, soon he'll want my recommendation" -
he tried hard to concentrate - scratched his head
Pebble Beach, Augusta, Valerrama and Troon
Big Ed had deemed these as - "tameable"!
said they could be played under par
and professional's should be more than capable!
Sawgrass was mentioned then St Andrews, Penina
and Wentworth along with lots more.
"I just don't think 'the' course exists,
Robin sighed -it's just too much of a chore!"
Then, he fell fast asleep but woke up with a start
and slowly remembered his dream -
he had taken six hours to play
on this nightmare short course of eighteen!
Bunkers didn't exist and no water at all
just dogs, bikes, kites, deer and horses
a few ups and downs and .... quarries -
hazard free compared to most courses!
Robin Hiseman remembered then FORE Magazine
and his feature article on "a little gem"
Ed! - he emailed - 'the' course is found
it's called Painswick la-Creme-de-la-creme!

In a big office block
on a big boardroom door
a big sign with red letters read
No Admittance  - Unless It's Critical
and signed in black by Big Ed.
Again, he decided to act
on a kind of a whim
and to run with his intuition
how can 'the' course not have hazards?
So he laid down just one condition
"I will play just one round -
and I'll take ... 50 balls
on my own - this will be faster
and should I end up with no balls at all
then this course, indeed, is the master!"

Another day in the life of Course Architect
Richard Goodale picked up the phone
he contacted all of his players
and requested they meet him back home.
"Is there anyone here heard of Painswick?
I've looked thru the FORE Magazine -
It's a course with very few hazards -
and with nothing to worry this team -
the GCA Ryder Cup will be ours!!
and it won't be as hard as you think -
yes the course may well have no hazards but
Rest-of-World will be worse for the drink!

"We'll ply them with beer at the start from the Clubhouse
off the eighth - Royal William to hand -
then hipflasks and then - very unsteady -
why else d'you think the eighteenth is so planned?
Like a runway - it will lead them back to the clubhouse
saying ... "Looks like it's two holes on the green here (hic) -
all that ffffresh air affects your vision (hic)" ...
then - they will six putt and buy us some beer!!"

Painswick welcomes you to our Clubhouse and Fairways
Rest of the World team and The U. S. of A.
We wish you all best of luck with your matches
and besides cups - please take good memories away.

Now you may all wonder where Big Ed is?
He's down Catbrain quarry to the right of the third
searching frantically for his 50th golfball
hysterically sobbing - I have heard.
In an effort to find his last Titleist
to his horror he found - human bones
and eteched in its rusted belt buckle
he found the name ... Indiana Jones!!
So Big Ed is now in a big quarry
on a small course which is - hazard free
being challenged by its natural contours
the way that nature dictates it should be.

We hope our course brings out the Tiger in you! -
that you'll soon be back - no longer in fear -
So! - whenever you feel that you'd like to return -
our course, and all of us, will be waiting ... right here!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 02:00:48 AM »
Well this thread certainly demonstrates the essence of GCA.com.  It is like a time capsule, hall of fame collaboration of - as Martin puts it, "the studliest".  I remember reading accounts of the gathering as they were posted during the event and as participants made their way home and posted their reflections about what it all meant to our GCA appreciation of timeless qualities of the quirky aspect of the field of play and the culture of those that love to gather and play.   But, I don't believe I ever saw the poem of M.s Mason.  Thanks for sharing that, Craig. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 04:59:22 AM »
Very cool clip and I’m sure viewing it has brought back great memories for many.
Look forward to a knock at Painswick when your knees up to it Robin.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 06:22:32 AM »
Oh my....I didn't pay attention to who loaded that video!  I found it during Christmas hols quite by accident.  Painswick is the reason I joined this site.  In late 2004 I was seeking info on who designed Painswick and stumbled across a thread on GCA shortly after the GCA event.  I recall being astonished folks travelled over an ocean to play Painswick. 

Thanks Whitty!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:18 AM »
Sean

As it only had 6 views when I uploaded it yesterday and I was at least three of those and Whitty at least one, then we know you were probably the only person to stumble across it randomly!

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 07:36:16 AM »
Sean

As it only had 6 views when I uploaded it yesterday and I was at least three of those and Whitty at least one, then we know you were probably the only person to stumble across it randomly!

I was thinking all the views might be me!  I posted a comment...first ever on youtube...short and sweet...very fine. 

I find incredible how often I stumble on stuff looking for old pictures. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
Robin took me down to Painswick this past October and I was gobsmacked... it is almost beyond description... with all the hills, ramparts and such. I could immediately see why the GCAers who attended that early Buda were so enamored with the place.

Then, when I found out Robin had a video from the event produced by the BBC for the evening news I had to have a copy to post on YouTube... for posterity.

Painswick is a unique course and experience worth visiting if you are anywhere near the Cotswolds. Totally unique.

And, the Buda is a very special gathering of like minded friends that transcends golf or architecture. It is about fellowship.

Thanks to all you early adopters who made the event what it is today. Like it or not, my goal is to never miss one as long as I am alive!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 02:32:19 AM »
Robin took me down to Painswick this past October and I was gobsmacked... it is almost beyond description... with all the hills, ramparts and such. I could immediately see why the GCAers who attended that early Buda were so enamored with the place.

Then, when I found out Robin had a video from the event produced by the BBC for the evening news I had to have a copy to post on YouTube... for posterity.

Painswick is a unique course and experience worth visiting if you are anywhere near the Cotswolds. Totally unique.

And, the Buda is a very special gathering of like minded friends that transcends golf or architecture. It is about fellowship.

Thanks to all you early adopters who made the event what it is today. Like it or not, my goal is to never miss one as long as I am alive!

I would have not been following Clemson Tigers had it not been for you Whitty!  ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 10:10:48 PM »
Ben - I am honored to know that you have been “following” the Clemson Tigers. The past ten years have been very special, and winning the National Championship two of the past three seasons has been amazing. I’ll bring a Clemson logo item for you to this year’s Buda!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back