News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

What type of maintenance is the most overlooked?
« on: January 25, 2019, 09:53:59 PM »
I was thinking about this with respect to the approaches to the greens at my home courses.  We have recently converted to Champion Bermuda greens which are very heavily watered but still remain firm and fast.  However, the approaches are also heavily watered which makes it very difficult to try and bump or run a shot up onto a green.  The conversion to these greens is getting more and more common because they can survive in the southern heat and humidity but the green complexes were designed with soft bent grass greens in mind so the type of shot needed to play into the greens has changed. 

Another maintenance area which sometimes leaves a bit to be desired is bunker sand just outside a bunker where a shot from there is extremely challenging as it is very difficult to determine what the turf is like under the ball.

RJ_Daley

Re: What type of maintenance is the most overlooked?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:09:57 PM »
Changing the ball washer water/soap???
I wonder what some of our GCM pros will say?  I always thought on lower budget courses, they seem to tend to have more damaged greens from oil leaks on the mowers.  Is it just sloppy, less careful operators?  Waiting to hear from some turf heads on this question.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »
I don't think there's an answer to this as it's all down to budget. Would you expect somewhere like Augusta to overlook something? If something is overlooked it generally is because the labor/budget to do it isn't there. A small course with one or two greenkeepers is going to have to overlook a lot just to get the basic maintenance completed.

Prioritizing the maintenance in line with budget is the key and identifying what is important and working back from there. The real issue is when some one is doing something like polishing sprinkler heads when the greens are crap....
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »
The placement of tee markers. No one wants to eat an ugly cake.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 02:13:32 PM »
Lack of thatch removal and related practices (or maybe reduction of things that cause thatch build-up). Lack of chainsaw use (especially in relation to self-seeding foliage). Lack of, where circumstances would otherwise permit, the use of animals to cut most of the grass.
No blame attached to greenkeepers though. It can’t be easy to fight off pretty much constant pressure from god-is-green, manicured and soft are good and animal droppings aren’t from committees/members/owners/TV etc.
Atb
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 02:15:19 PM by Thomas Dai »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »
What Jerry says- firm greens with very soft, soggy entries.

But my biggest pet peeve: thoughtless course setup which seems to fall to the member of the maintenance staff with the lowest golf IQ.

Close behind the first two, flashing up 2-4" of sand up the bunker slopes.  I know, bunkers are supposed to be hazards.   

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 09:34:22 PM »
Fairway aeration. Members generally hate it because it can take a while for the fairways to heal, especially here in the mid-atlantic states. It sure makes a difference though for drainage and playability.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 11:34:07 PM »
Tommy: I think the fairway aeration goes along with aeration of the approaches.  But the approaches need to be done more often because they get so much watering from the green watering. It was told to me that bermuda grass approaches should be aerated and top dressed as often and at the same time that bermuda greens are aerated and top dressed.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 12:09:24 AM »
Changing the ball washer water/soap???
I wonder what some of our GCM pros will say?  I always thought on lower budget courses, they seem to tend to have more damaged greens from oil leaks on the mowers.  Is it just sloppy, less careful operators?  Waiting to hear from some turf heads on this question.

Not likely.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:06:56 AM »
Keeping the nice white hole rim surround painted?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 08:26:25 AM »
Ward: Believe it or not painting the inside of the cups when looked at from the cost perspective is expensive.  Yes, I was a member of a club that operated on a very strict budget and the greens superintendent told us the cost of the paint plus the labor was significant enough to matter. 

For some reason the edges on the holes on champion bermuda greens are very susceptible to damage, especially a glancing blow by a flagstick so my club, as well as others in the area, are inserting thin white plastic rims to protect the edges and it not only protects the edges but also gives the look that painting the edges does.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 10:11:10 AM »
Drainage is often overlooked, mostly because it's expensive.   Rebuilding drainage is something that would likely have to be redone periodically, but it can involve a fair amount of digging and a whole lot of $$$.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 11:10:51 AM »

As much as I hesitate to suggest this, it seems intentionally doing this at Tour venues that want to keep scores in check would be a good, cheap tactic, especially on those long par 4s. ...as opposed to growing the roughs out in advance.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 01:58:23 PM »
Collateral irrigation on bunkers and surrounds... produces disparate conditions in the same bunker, as well as overgrowth on the oft-unplayable "beards" and hanging slopes into them.

Most of this concerns the total efforts with regard to the bunkers, failing to appreciate which and what type of bunkers get how much sun at what time of the day.

cheers   vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Lou_Duran

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 03:20:23 PM »

As much as I hesitate to suggest this, it seems intentionally doing this at Tour venues that want to keep scores in check would be a good, cheap tactic, especially on those long par 4s. ...as opposed to growing the roughs out in advance.

It doesn't hurt the pros because they can launch the ball and seldom take a chance on bouncing it into a hole location.  It hurts most people like me who can't hit the ball far and need to reach the long par 4s along the ground, often with a hooded 4-iron or hybrids and fairway woods.  Ultra-firm greens with tight hole locations, narrow fairways and high rough are the only controllable means to drive up the scores of the best players.

On drainage, it is crucial, but I see it more of an architectural and construction issue than one of maintenance.  Short of $$$$$, I think that most superintendents are pretty much stuck with the system they get.  Catch basins may allow designers to build attractive rolling fairways on otherwise flat ground, but the golfers and the maintenance staff are the ones who end up dealing with poor playing conditions.  I don't know that the trade-off is worth it. 

ward peyronnin

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 07:39:39 PM »
You are right on JK. That is why I carry an extra wide white sharpie in my bag so I can help the greens crew out.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 08:38:05 PM »
Daily set up

Traffic control

Relieving compaction in high traffic areas

Irrigation management based on empirical data - course wide, not just the greens

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
Daily set up

Traffic control

Relieving compaction in high traffic areas

+1

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »
Maybe the most obvious overlooked maintenance issue is repairing ball marks. I try to repair at least two on every green.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »
Tree trimming.
No, not tree removal or "remediation" .

I mean trimming the existing trees:

- cleaning their trunks of new sprouting branches
- doing a "high cut" to avoid drooping/sagging/low branches that 1) obstruct light 2) interfere with lawnmowers and 3) create unscripted obstacles for average golfers.

So many courses tend to rely on the "local tree guy" to come do it.
Here in Chicago it's a firm called Nils Johnson. They have a monopoly...;-)

Why not send two maintenance guys to tree school, buy some gear and do the work in-house?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:07:44 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 10:55:46 AM »
Tree trimming.

- doing a "high cut" to avoid drooping/sagging/low branches that 1) obstruct light 2) interfere with lawnmowers and 3) create unscripted obstacles for average golfers.

Why not send two maintenance guys to tree school, but some gear and do the work in-house?

I would put long term tree management in the running, too.  Many older trees aren't as healthy as they are attractive at the moment.  Planning on replacement - or a plan to enhance design if removed, rarely happens.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kyle Harris

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 11:26:52 AM »
Tree trimming.

Why not send two maintenance guys to tree school, buy some gear and do the work in-house?

As perhaps evidenced by this post:

Opportunity Cost

(Though many upper end courses do this very thing!)
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 12:31:11 PM »
Spotted a cool line about tree work on social media - “conservation is not always about preservation”
Atb

Mike_Young

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »
Simplicity is the most overlooked type of maintenance.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back